Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Cool After a carreer of Iso plays, how will Carmelo do in the triangle

His whole career has been Iso Iso Iso, how do you guys think Melo will do in the Triangle office and why??

I know there's going to be a transition period and some players just cant get it because its not in their game but I if Melo's will to win is strong enough he'll flourish in it and excel and really start making his teammates better.

I appologize if there is a similar thread. I looked but all I seen was the one about the summer league players

vCash
    Watch him in Olympic play or with Kidd two years ago it will answer all your questions.

vCash
    Shaq and Kobe both had back to back career years in assists their first two years in the triangle and were still getting their points. As someone who is currently coaching the triangle offense with high school freshman, I can tell you that it doesnt seem to stifle your best players. If anything it just guarantees that when they have the ball there will always be cutters, screens, and spacing which only helps.

vCash
    All you have to do is look at Michael & Kobe... Melo will Flourish.. At this point all he needs is a dominant low post big and the knicks will be a title contender.. A guy like Boogie cousins would help the Knicks tremendously..
    The Dark Knight Rises to Save Gotham Once again..

vCash
    Ummmm...OK...

vCash
    melo is gonna have an MVP season, he seems focused and has slimmed down. I think he is tired of in the shadows of Lebron, I think he feels he is just as good but doesn't get the respect he deserves, just because he's not the best defensive player and he doesn't make his teammates better. How could he, Lebron the last few years have had so much help in Wade and Bosh and melo hasn't had any so is it a fair assessment? Give Melo some help and watch him blow up like crazy. He's always had to be the man with no help so what do you expect the coaches he's had been like go for it Melo to save their freakin jobs then he becomes the bad guy when his teams underachieve.

vCash
    melo is gonna have an MVP season, he seems focused and has slimmed down. I think he is tired of in the shadows of Lebron, I think he feels he is just as good but doesn't get the respect he deserves, just because he's not the best defensive player and he doesn't make his teammates better. How could he, Lebron the last few years have had so much help in Wade and Bosh and Melo hasn't had any so is it a fair assessment? Give Melo some help and watch him blow up like crazy. He's always had to be the man with no help so what do you expect the coaches he's had been like go for it Melo to save their freaking jobs then he becomes the bad guy when his teams underachieve.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by EnWhyKay View Post
    All you have to do is look at Michael & Kobe... Melo will Flourish.. At this point all he needs is a dominant low post big and the knicks will be a title contender.. A guy like Boogie cousins would help the Knicks tremendously..
    This is a point worth discussing.

When i think triangle offense I automatically go Lakers who had Shaq and Kobe in the dominant big man/explosive wing positions. But this isn't the only incarnation of the triangle as evidenced by the Bulls who (to the best of my knowledge) didn't have a dominant big man in the mold of Shaq, but used the MJ/Pippen combo to succeed.

Can anyone who knows the triangle well explain how the system adapts to its players?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by colinskik View Post
    This is a point worth discussing.

When i think triangle offense I automatically go Lakers who had Shaq and Kobe in the dominant big man/explosive wing positions. But this isn't the only incarnation of the triangle as evidenced by the Bulls who (to the best of my knowledge) didn't have a dominant big man in the mold of Shaq, but used the MJ/Pippen combo to succeed.

Can anyone who knows the triangle well explain how the system adapts to its players?

The thing about the triangle isn't about the Big, its about the ability to score and make plays for for and your teammates, MJ and Pippen were very good on the block, if not one of the best at it, but the key to the whole thing is the ball movement wich only made things easy for players like MJ and Pippen, same can be said about kobe, he had to really had learn to develop that post game to where it is now because of the triangle, and thats why Melo will thrive in this system, because he loves playing on that elbow/post area, and he is a willing passer, just didnt have the system to do it this year with woodson
    Bottom feeder

vCash
    Melo will be a top fantasy player this year thats for sure.

vCash
    That said, isolation basketball is a major component of the triangle.

vCash
    ^^^ Exactly, Jordan and Kobe did tons of iso work in the post just like Melo does. His Iso game will still be used and it was paramount to both of those guys success because teams have such a hard time guarding him one on one. Melo is a great off the ball player despite the naysayers, think about when his catch and shoot 3's off offensive rebounds.

The triangle basically involves 3 guys to get into a triangle formation, one in the corner, one in the post and one up high and is a series of moves depending on the defense that the PG can do, usually involving feeding the post. Calderon is a 45% 3 pt shooter, one of the best in the game. Imagine Him up high, Amare in the post and Melo in the corner. As long as the players pass the ball, the defense will have to choose between Amare's post game or giving up a wide open shot to some of the best shooters in the game.

The big men are imo the most versatile part of the triangel. Look at Phils chip winning PG's. Guys like Kerr, Fisher, and Armstrong. All of them are pretty big, and shot the 3 extremely well. Look at the SG's, exclusively Kobe and MJ, Big, all around beasts. Look at the forwards, Pippen, Ariza, MWP, Fox, all of whom are great defensive players and could score. IMO not much versatility in the 1-3 positions.

But now look at the PF's, Rodman, Horry, Gasol, Grant, Rodman was a 6' 6" defensive stalwart who could out hustle the entire other team, Horry was more of a 6' 9" stretch 4 and Gasol was a 7' PF/C Hybrid. The real consistency with these players is they all passed the ball well for bigs and they all played defense.

And now C. Luc Longley was the starting C for the Bulls, Luc Longley ladies and gentlemen. Again he could pass and play decent D but really he just knew the triangle well enough to not get in the way. He was still the 5th option every time he was on the court. In LA though, he had Shaq and Bynum, one of whom was the teams #1A option and the other who was the teams 3rd/4th option when on the floor. Versatility in the big men works as long as they can play defense and passing, the teams can make it up for it with above average guard and top notch wing play.

So Calderon fits the Kerr/Armstrong/Fisher mold half well. He shoots as well as them but doesn't give as much defensively. His only thoughts next year should be 3's and defense so maybe he can pick it up a tad. JR is the massive, massive X card. I have watched him and Melo on the same team for almost their entire careers, they have both caught fire only a few times at the same time. When they do they are really really good. Melo is obviously the top dog who is supposed to live up to Jordan/Kobe, we will see how he does. The bigs are not great fits, maybe Jason Smith is but this is going to be a problem. We really don't have a single 2 way big on this team.

We will be throwing a lot against the wall this year and seeing what sticks. With the amount of cap space we are getting in 2015, we will have money to fill in some of the gaps.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JEDean89 View Post
    ^^^ Exactly, Jordan and Kobe did tons of iso work in the post just like Melo does. His Iso game will still be used and it was paramount to both of those guys success because teams have such a hard time guarding him one on one. Melo is a great off the ball player despite the naysayers, think about when his catch and shoot 3's off offensive rebounds.

The triangle basically involves 3 guys to get into a triangle formation, one in the corner, one in the post and one up high and is a series of moves depending on the defense that the PG can do, usually involving feeding the post. Calderon is a 45% 3 pt shooter, one of the best in the game. Imagine Him up high, Amare in the post and Melo in the corner. As long as the players pass the ball, the defense will have to choose between Amare's post game or giving up a wide open shot to some of the best shooters in the game.

The big men are imo the most versatile part of the triangel. Look at Phils chip winning PG's. Guys like Kerr, Fisher, and Armstrong. All of them are pretty big, and shot the 3 extremely well. Look at the SG's, exclusively Kobe and MJ, Big, all around beasts. Look at the forwards, Pippen, Ariza, MWP, Fox, all of whom are great defensive players and could score. IMO not much versatility in the 1-3 positions.

But now look at the PF's, Rodman, Horry, Gasol, Grant, Rodman was a 6' 6" defensive stalwart who could out hustle the entire other team, Horry was more of a 6' 9" stretch 4 and Gasol was a 7' PF/C Hybrid. The real consistency with these players is they all passed the ball well for bigs and they all played defense.

And now C. Luc Longley was the starting C for the Bulls, Luc Longley ladies and gentlemen. Again he could pass and play decent D but really he just knew the triangle well enough to not get in the way. He was still the 5th option every time he was on the court. In LA though, he had Shaq and Bynum, one of whom was the teams #1A option and the other who was the teams 3rd/4th option when on the floor. Versatility in the big men works as long as they can play defense and passing, the teams can make it up for it with above average guard and top notch wing play.

So Calderon fits the Kerr/Armstrong/Fisher mold half well. He shoots as well as them but doesn't give as much defensively. His only thoughts next year should be 3's and defense so maybe he can pick it up a tad. JR is the massive, massive X card. I have watched him and Melo on the same team for almost their entire careers, they have both caught fire only a few times at the same time. When they do they are really really good. Melo is obviously the top dog who is supposed to live up to Jordan/Kobe, we will see how he does. The bigs are not great fits, maybe Jason Smith is but this is going to be a problem. We really don't have a single 2 way big on this team.

We will be throwing a lot against the wall this year and seeing what sticks. With the amount of cap space we are getting in 2015, we will have money to fill in some of the gaps.

Ok so pretty much everyone believes Melo will buy into and thrive into the Triangle offense, but as you guys have said, there is usually a 1-2 punch (ie. Kobe&shaq, Jordan&pippen) and as Doctor Triangle here mentioned two way centers, the knicks have 2 players who have a reputation for defense imo, daly and shump, everyone else is average or worse when it comes to Defense. As far as that second scorer or at least consistent scorer to help make it work who is it going to be, JR is like a box of chocolates from year to year, so there's no telling

If no one steps up for tha 2nd scoring option can the triangle still work?

vCash
    first, it's extremely annoying when you quote such a lengthy post immediately after. a simple ^^^^ prevents that from happening.

JR I believe is the only player on this team who can average 20 a game outside of Melo. He will have to be extremely locked in and playing the best ball of his career but if PJ can handle Rodman, Odom and Bynum, JR should be right up his alley. Now I didn't know Luc Longley was a 2 way C but Jason Smith seems like he can be a Longley type. As for defense we are gonna likely be a middle of the pack team. I don't believe we are gonna be that good but I think we have some pieces for PJ long term. This will be a great year to see who and what works and who and what doesn't.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JEDean89 View Post
    first, it's extremely annoying when you quote such a lengthy post immediately after. a simple ^^^^ prevents that from happening.

JR I believe is the only player on this team who can average 20 a game outside of Melo. He will have to be extremely locked in and playing the best ball of his career but if PJ can handle Rodman, Odom and Bynum, JR should be right up his alley. Now I didn't know Luc Longley was a 2 way C but Jason Smith seems like he can be a Longley type. As for defense we are gonna likely be a middle of the pack team. I don't believe we are gonna be that good but I think we have some pieces for PJ long term. This will be a great year to see who and what works and who and what doesn't.
    You forgot Metta.

i agree about JR.. if he can get his stuff together who knows how good we can be.
    People fear what they don't understand, hate what they can't conquer
    Guess its just a theory of man became a monster, atop of the world
    Never fallin', I'm as real as they come from day one, forever ballin'
    C'mon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast