Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Tim Bronson, Rob Manfred, and Tom Werner are the three finalists for commissioner job

Bob Nightengale at USA Today has a big scoop: the field of finalists for MLB Commissioner has been narrowed down to three, and one of them is a pretty huge surprise. There are two of Bud Selig's top deputies, and, somewhat out of nowhere, the chairman and minority owner of the Red Sox.

The owners, according to the executive, will choose between Rob Manfred, MLB's chief operating officer; Tim Brosnan, MLB's executive vice president of business; and Boston Red Sox chairman Tom Werner.
    Manfred is essentially Selig's No. 2, graduating from MLB's labor pointman to something resembling an acting commissioner as Selig's duties have transitioned toward the ceremonial. Brosnan is a businessman to the core, having spent more than a decade handling MLB's licensing, marketing, and broadcasting deals.

Werner is a wild card, who actually got his start in entertainment: He's the "Werner" in Carsey-Werner Productions, responsible for shows like The Cosby Show, A Different World, Roseanne, Grace Under Fire, Third Rock From the Sun, and That 70's Show. He purchased a controlling interest in the Padres in 1990, and was bought out four years later. He co-founded Fenway Sports Group, which purchased the Boston Red Sox in 2002 and Premier League side Liverpool in 2010.

Werner is the only one of the three candidates without a legal background, which would be interesting considering one of the new commissioner's first major challenges will be contentious CBA talks in 2016. (The MLPBA head, Tony Clark, is also the first leader on that side who wasn't a lawyer first.)

We'll know who the next commissioner is soon. The owners will vote on Aug. 14.
    http://deadspin.com/report-one-of-th...ium=socialflow

vCash
    Tom Werner surprises me. Hes always been viewed as the clown and third wheel of the Red Sox ownership. I thought it would be Lucchino if anyone from the Red Sox were in the running. Can you imagine this guy being commish http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOrxTBRvCHA

It will be Manfred. The owners love Selig and I believe he is Selig's choice.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by -Lavigne43- View Post
    It will be Manfred. The owners love Selig and I believe he is Selig's choice.
    Agreed. I would be shocked if it wasn't Manfred.

vCash
    I was getting worried there for a second that Selig would have to stay on for another season. God bless. **** that clown

vCash
    Guess this gets decided today. Manfred seems to be the favorite to win this.
    With the deepest of regrets I am announcing that I will be leaving Pro Sports Daily. No reason in particular but wanted to thank everyone for a great 6 years here. Lots of great discussion and good poll series as well. Also fun re-drafts. Best of luck to you all in the future.

vCash
    No way Werner gets 3/4 of the votes. Manfred will be the guy.
    <a href=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/29/Ichiro_Suzuki_on_August_1%2C_2012.jpg/240px-Ichiro_Suzuki_on_August_1%2C_2012.jpg target=_blank>http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._1%2C_2012.jpg</a>

BA: .282 HR: ONE! RBI: 20 SB: 12 AGE: 40

vCash

Rob Manfred elected as MLB's new commissioner

SportsCenter ‏@SportsCenter 9m
    BREAKING: Rob Manfred elected as MLB's new commissioner, replacing Bud Selig. (via multiple media reports)

vCash
    Booooooo

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    Booooooo
    you should be happy

T.J. Quinn ‏@TJQuinnESPN Aug 13
    Why is Reinsdorf anti-Manfred? Has said Manfred not tough enough on union. Wants war, as he did 20 years ago.

If Werner won I would think Reinsdorf would be in his ear. and War=lockout

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by grandsalami View Post
    you should be happy

T.J. Quinn ‏@TJQuinnESPN Aug 13
    Why is Reinsdorf anti-Manfred? Has said Manfred not tough enough on union. Wants war, as he did 20 years ago.

If Werner won I would think Reinsdorf would be in his ear. and War=lockout
    Hate Selig
    Hate Manfred
    Werner was a Sox guy
    Lose lose lose

Of course I'm happy no likely lockout tho

vCash
    Manfred Man's Earth Band?

vCash
    Eric Fisher ‏@EricFisherSBJ 1m
    Industry source re MLB meetings today: "Jerry got his *** handed to him."

vCash
    Get a pitch clock, limit mound visits and implement a dress code (no buttons allowed) and the sport will be much healthier.

vCash

Rob Manfred elected as MLB's new commissioner

Pretty sure I'll never like a commissioner in any sport

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Dreamer View Post
    Get a pitch clock, limit mound visits and implement a dress code (no buttons allowed) and the sport will be much healthier.
    Agreed. The despicable dress code is killing baseball

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast