Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Ken Holland extended as Wings GM, contract lasts through 2017-2018

DETROIT -- The Red Wings have signed executive vice president and general manager Ken Holland to a four-year contract through the 2017-18 season.

Holland has been Detroit's GM for the last 17 seasons, and since he took over in July 1997, his teams have won more regular-season games (746) and postseason games (115) than any other organization. The Red Wings won Stanley Cups in 1998, 2002 and 2008 -- and another in 1997 while he was an assistant GM.

"Ken is regarded as one of the premier executives in the National Hockey League and has been instrumental in the success of the Red Wings over the last two decades," Red Wings owner Mike Ilitch said in a statement. "We feel strongly that stability is key to the success of any organization and having this new agreement in place with Ken is important to the organization and its future."

Detroit fought through injuries in 2013-14 to make the playoffs for the 23rd consecutive season, but the Red Wings lost in the first round to Boston. Coach Mike Babcock has one year remaining on his contract.

Holland has been with the Red Wings in some capacity for the last 31 seasons. He was a player and a scout before joining management.

During his tenure as GM, the Red Wings have won four Presidents' Trophies, five regular-season conference titles and 10 division titles.
    From ESPN

Catches: 3 Yards: 38 TDs: 0

vCash
    I did not see that coming. I'm not sure if that's good or not.

vCash
    Until a better option really stands out, I like it. Wonder what effect this has on a Babcock extension.

vCash
    Find a better GM available than Holland. You can't . lol at people *****ing about this.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BranWingss View Post
    Find a better GM available than Holland. You can't . lol at people *****ing about this.
    This is my biggest issue in EVERY sport. People quick to criticize and scream about firing coaches and GMs. MUCH harder to hire than to fire. There are only so many good options out there and Holland has a history of keeping this team in the better half of teams in the NHL on a consistent basis.

And if/when they do make a switch, I doubt it'll be a drastic one; that is I don't think they're (Ilitch really) the type to fire Holland or let him go and then bring in a brand new face. I imagine they'd have a younger option mentoring under Holland or someone within that won't be much different.

vCash
    Bingo. Management will come from beneath. Yzerman and Nill were developed and considered damn near elite GMs. I'm huge on Jiri Fisher right now. Role needs to continue to grow IMO

vCash
    Fischer would be solid. Love a guy coming from player development and he's young enough that when the time comes (even if not for another 5+ years) it'll be a good long term solution.

vCash
    Jiri Fischer discussing prospects is just something beautiful. He's in his early 30s. I suggest the Red Wings channel prospect videos

vCash
    That is probably exactly the spot they are grooming him for...unless they can pry him from TB...