Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Is Girardi a leader?

He seems to say the right things and I believe he loves being a Yankee. And I think the players like him and respect him but something seems to be missing with him.

Maybe it's just not his nature but he lacks enthusiasm. He just seems dull. Too stoic maybe.
    I just don't think he inspires people.

Maybe it is time for a change. Nice guy? Yes. Team leader? Not so sure.
    'Real' Yankee fans tell the truth about the team whether it is nice or not.

"Well, that kind of puts a damper on even a Yankee win."
    -- Yankees announcer Phil Rizzuto after reading a bulletin that Pope Paul VI had died

vCash
    No. But Girardi is.
    10 Rec, 96 YD, 1TD
    injured.....again

vCash
    Is that his brother?

lol lol

-- Yankees announcer Phil Rizzuto after reading a bulletin that Pope Paul VI had died

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 7chuck7 View Post
    He seems to say the right things and I believe he loves being a Yankee. And I think the players like him and respect him but something seems to be missing with him.

Maybe it's just not his nature but he lacks enthusiasm. He just seems dull. Too stoic maybe.
    I just don't think he inspires people.

Maybe it is time for a change. Nice guy? Yes. Team leader? Not so sure.

Girardi? Stoic? We're talking about Girardi, not Torre, right? I guess I just don't see it. I actually loved Torre as a manager, his stoic presence led the team to 4 championships, so stoic doesn't bother me. Girardi is stoic with the media--which is probably the right move, but he seems (as little as we see) different towards the players.

I think Girardi is a good, not great manager, and I would not be upset with a change eventually, but neither he or Cashman should be blamed for the Yankees incredibly bad luck the last two years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees27 View Post
    Girardi? Stoic? We're talking about Girardi, not Torre, right? I guess I just don't see it. I actually loved Torre as a manager, his stoic presence led the team to 4 championships, so stoic doesn't bother me. Girardi is stoic with the media--which is probably the right move, but he seems (as little as we see) different towards the players.

I think Girardi is a good, not great manager, and I would not be upset with a change eventually, but neither he or Cashman should be blamed for the Yankees incredibly bad luck the last two years.
    You are right. Torre was Mr. Stoic. He actually nodded off a number of times in the dugout. I noticed that when he went to the Dodgers he spent most of each game on the top step.

I would not blame Girardi for everything that has gone wrong. That would be silly but I agree he is nowhere near being a great manager. He just seems not to inspire when needed.

Torre said a few times, 'I just fill out the lineup card and watch'. With some of the talent he had and their winning attitude, I believe him.

vCash
    Wait, are we really considering firing Girardi? This team has had a lot of issues the last 2 seasons, but Girardi is way far down the list as far as "problems" are concerned. Sure, you can nitpick some of his decisions, but overall the record he's led this team to with the injuries and poor performance he's received from his roster is, frankly, pretty amazing.

All through that the team never quit on him. And we're questioning his "leadership" abilities? Seriously? If this team somehow squeaks into the playoffs he'll get some serious manager of the year consideration. But really, "leadership" is one of those things that is overblown by the ESPN blowhards and others in the media and made into something much bigger than it really is. Maybe it's a semi-important factor on a young team (like the Marlins team Girardi managed and won MOY with), but on a team filled with veterans with playoff and World Series experience do you really think Girardi really needs to regularly sit down with these guys and have pep talks? Do you think he needs to teach them how to play the game? Players like Beltran, Ellsbury, Teix, etc know what needs to be done in order to win, the question isn't leadership but rather health and declining abilities.

vCash
    Where this team is today and the injuries they've had. Who else would you want leading your team

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skierdude44 View Post
    Wait, are we really considering firing Girardi? This team has had a lot of issues the last 2 seasons, but Girardi is way far down the list as far as "problems" are concerned. Sure, you can nitpick some of his decisions, but overall the record he's led this team to with the injuries and poor performance he's received from his roster is, frankly, pretty amazing.

All through that the team never quit on him. And we're questioning his "leadership" abilities? Seriously? If this team somehow squeaks into the playoffs he'll get some serious manager of the year consideration. But really, "leadership" is one of those things that is overblown by the ESPN blowhards and others in the media and made into something much bigger than it really is. Maybe it's a semi-important factor on a young team (like the Marlins team Girardi managed and won MOY with), but on a team filled with veterans with playoff and World Series experience do you really think Girardi really needs to regularly sit down with these guys and have pep talks? Do you think he needs to teach them how to play the game? Players like Beltran, Ellsbury, Teix, etc know what needs to be done in order to win, the question isn't leadership but rather health and declining abilities.
    I guess people are bored lol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkKnight View Post
    Where this team is today and the injuries they've had. Who else would you want leading your team
    the aflac duck

vCash
    The manager's job is to manage the personalities and egos of 25 guys making collectively 200M+ in the clubhouse, manage the bullpen, deal with the media, and fill out the lineup card. I think Girardi does all of that well. I think he's much better at bullpen management than Torre was. Girardi is the same guy who managed the team to a championship in 2009 but he doesn't have a team as good as that one to manage.

I can't think of who I would rather see as Yankee manager unless it was Joe Maddon, who I think is maybe the best manager in the league. As for "stoicism," a lot of the "less stoic" managers have not been very good managers. Larry Bowa and Bobby Valentine come to mind when I think of guys who show a lot of emotion from the bench and to the media. Lou Piniella was like that too. He only won one WS in 23 years of managing, and although a lot of the teams he managed were not very good, he did have a few good teams along the way that didn't get to the finish line (the 2001 Mariners won 116 games and lost in the ALDS).
    <a href=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/29/Ichiro_Suzuki_on_August_1%2C_2012.jpg/240px-Ichiro_Suzuki_on_August_1%2C_2012.jpg target=_blank>http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._1%2C_2012.jpg</a>

BA: .282 HR: ONE! RBI: 20 SB: 12 AGE: 40

vCash
    One thing to realize is that baseball is quite a bit different than football, basketball or even hockey where the action is faster paced and emotion of the players can make a very big and positive difference... in baseball, emotion is still there with the players, like when Derek is the first over the railing when a teammate goes yard.. but to get a team emotionally worked up prior to the act usually will have a negative impact. Trying to hit a round ball with a round bat square is not easy and you need to be relaxed.. emotional players don't do too well when the game is on the line. For the pitcher emotion can help, but for the hitter it's normally a bad thing.

You also have the fact that the Yankee skipper is dealing with older guys.. Maddon of the rays, who is a very good manager, would probably fall flat here simply because the stuff he does with that young team would not be very well received by the much older Yankee clubhouse. But notice most of the stuff that he does is off the field... he's not overly dramatic during the games either... there's a reason for that. Baseball from the Manager's point of the view is more of a chess match.. not a battle of wills.

vCash
    Completely agree. He is more of a bonehead then he is a leader. He loves to show allegiance to bad players. Obsessed with L/R matchups. We know Cano didn't care for him. He's just a dopey guy that thinks he's a lot smarter than he is. He is terrible at making a batting order too.

Then again, I hate to blame him for the trash that Cashman has provided him with.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by infernoscurse View Post
    the aflac duck
    That was good !!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
    Completely agree. He is more of a bonehead then he is a leader. He loves to show allegiance to bad players. Obsessed with L/R matchups. We know Cano didn't care for him. He's just a dopey guy that thinks he's a lot smarter than he is. He is terrible at making a batting order too.

Then again, I hate to blame him for the trash that Cashman has provided him with.
    Ok

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post

What batting order would you suggest? And don't give me one that has Jeter batting 7th or 8th because if they couldn't make Posada bat 8th, they're certainly not going to move Jeter out of the top 1-3.
    <a href=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/29/Ichiro_Suzuki_on_August_1%2C_2012.jpg/240px-Ichiro_Suzuki_on_August_1%2C_2012.jpg target=_blank>http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._1%2C_2012.jpg</a>

BA: .282 HR: ONE! RBI: 20 SB: 12 AGE: 40

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast