Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Greg Monroe To Accept Pistons' Qualifying Offer, Will Play For 5 Million Next Season

Forward-center Greg Monroe has informed the Detroit Pistons' he will accept the qualifying offer, play for Detroit in 2014-15 and become an unrestricted free agent next summer, two people familiar with Monroe's plan told USA TODAY Sports.

The people requested anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly about Monroe's decision.

Monroe, 24, was a restricted free agent this summer but decided not to sign an offer sheet with another team or sign a multiyear extension with the Pistons.

He instead will be one of the most highly sought-after free agents next offseason.

Monroe's qualifying offer is for $5.479 million in 2014-15 and cannot be traded without his consent once he signs. He's expected to sign it before the Oct. 1 deadline.

The No. 7 pick in the 2010 NBA Draft, Monroe took an uncommon route, forsaking money and a long-term deal now for a money and long-term deal a year from now.

Monroe averaged 15.2 points and 9.3 rebounds a game last season but didn't mesh with newcomer Josh Smith. The Pistons went 29-53.

Guard Ben Gordon accepted the Bulls qualifying offer in 2008, making him an unrestricted free agent the following summer. He signed a five-year, $58 million with Detroit in 2009.

Guard Raymond Felton accepted Charlotte's qualifying offer in 2009 and then signed a two-year, $15.8 million deal with the New York Knicks in 2010.

New Orleans Pelicans guard Eric Gordon suggested he would sign a qualifying offer in 2012. Instead, he signed an offer sheet from the Phoenix Suns, and New Orleans matched it.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...ffer/12940893/
    Last edited by spreadeagle; 08-12-2014 at 11:26 PM.

vCash
    Nice.

vCash
    Getting paid fair amount I see him being traded mid-season
    Be $wavy

vCash
    He will be traded before December.

I wonder will Bledsoe have to do the same thing.

Enjoy Haters
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQkyxNNNefg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImlKH...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by IKnowHoops View Post
    As a rookie Micheal Beasley averaged 13.9pts per game on .472 shooting. Do you know how many times Kobe Bryant or Tracy Mcgrady shot at that percent or better? Never in there whole careers. If Beas can be what he was when he was a rookie (he won't hell be better) then the heat are coming away with another steal.

vCash
    I hate this move by Detroit. It seems to me they would have gotten a lot more in a sign and trade for Monroe now to lock him up long-term than to deal him to some team for half a season before the trade deadline. But I suppose if the market had dried up and nobody was willing to offer him what he wanted, then Detroit might have been screwed with no options left but to sign him to the qualifying offer.

At least both parties have a chance to save face here. If Monroe plays really well to start the seasons, not only will he get the contract he's looking for, but Detroit will still get a solid haul for him in a trade. However, if Monroe plays like **** or gets injured, both sides are going to get screwed. Nobody will trade Detroit anything of value and Monroe will end up signing a contract next year worse than the one the Pistons offered him this offseason.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dade County View Post

it says cant be traded without his consent

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    I hate this move by Detroit. It seems to me they would have gotten a lot more in a sign and trade for Monroe now to lock him up long-term than to deal him to some team for half a season before the trade deadline. But I suppose if the market had dried up and nobody was willing to offer him what he wanted, then Detroit might have been screwed with no options left but to sign him to the qualifying offer.

At least both parties have a chance to save face here. If Monroe plays really well to start the seasons, not only will he get the contract he's looking for, but Detroit will still get a solid haul for him in a trade. However, if Monroe plays like **** or gets injured, both sides are going to get screwed. Nobody will trade Detroit anything of value and Monroe will end up signing a contract next year worse than the one the Pistons offered him this offseason.
    What'd Detroit do wrong that you hate it? Not like Detroit can prevent him from signing the QO. And I'm sure if a team is willing to offer Monroe the money he ways, it would've happened already. Monroe wants to get paid but Detroit not falling for that ****.

vCash
    I really hope The Spurs can grab him next year I would really like to see how he'll play with Parker, Leonard and if Manu and Duncan have another go around.

Your Moms Best Friend.

vCash
    Nice passing big men in the Spurs system? Could work.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    What'd Detroit do wrong? Not like Detroit can prevent him from signing the QO. And I'm sure if a team is willing to offer Monroe the money he ways, it would've happened already.
    Signing Josh Smith to a horrible, untradable contract and expecting him to play SF was a pretty abysmal start. That essentially made Monroe the odd man out, which probably severely damaged any leverage they had in a trade. But at least they still had the leverage this offseason, because they could help a team get Monroe signed to a long-term deal now rather than having to fight a dozen other teams to get him on the open market next year.

vCash
    ^^^ Detroit just had an embarrasment of riches at the PF/C positions and imo Drummond/Smith is ultimately the best fit going forward with this team, especially with SVG running the show. Detroit didn't want to bid against themselves, Monroe would have made it easy if a team had offered him a contract but since he couldn't get one, the pistons will again let the market value determine it.

As a Knick fan, He would be really good on this team in the triangle. My guess is he ultimately will get somewhere in the neighborhood of 12-15 a year.

vCash
    We need to look into this. KD, Westbrook, and Greg Monroe. FINALLY.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FlashBolt:28922529
    As a Clippers fan....please replace Ibaka with Monroe. Would make it much easier for us to pass you guys.
    TWINSIES!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FlashBolt View Post
    OKC would be the perfect team for Monroe cause Ibaka could make up for Monroe's lack of defense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dade County View Post

that would be a dream come true my knicks should get both

Quote Originally Posted by Clippersfan86 View Post
    Jared Dudley>>>>>>Melo.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast