Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Raiders Coaches should still be learning from a veteran HC

Don't get all crazy on me for posting this topic after a single preseason game but I know it's on the minds of many Raider fans as we are tired of seeing penalties and a lack of mental preparedness and toughness. This coaching staff is young and still may need some time to learn from a veteran Head Coach about how to run a training camp, play calling and coaching during games etc. Our coaches seem to be hard workers but sometimes hard work can't beat experience.

First, I will start this thread by saying I am not looking to get Allen fired after one poor pre-season game but I am with Mark Davis in that we have no more excuses and if this coaching staff can't show a marked improvement with play and effort, it's time for them to go after this year.

Dennis Allen was given the role of HC because not many talented HC coaches wanted to come to Oakland and we all know it's been that way since Al took the reigns (RIP AL). Allen was handed a roster with a thin depth chart and zero cap space making his job very difficult. Now he is getting some players but I still saw a lack of focus and execution Friday night. I'm not sure if his presence is fully respected by veteran players and if he can get them mentally ready to dominate.

We keep hearing that there is a culture change and that everyone has bought in from the players and coaches but what I saw Friday night was a team that still lacked focus, discipline and the ability to score on offense. I know these games are vanilla in terms of play calling but it was the lack of execution of the plays and players not making plays when they had the chance to that was disappointing. 12 penalties including Watson on the 1st play from scrimmage is truly a lack of discipline and game readiness. I know we can't blame the coaches for everything (Watson's false start) but as the penalties continued I keep thinking we are not mentally tough.

Our team has struggled since the departure of John Gruden (don't count Callahan, as it was Gruden's team that went to the Superbowl). Gruden was a young up and comer with no HC experience but what made him a fit for the Raiders at the time was that he was not going to take crap from any player and he demanded hard work and intensity from his team. He took a career back up QB and made him a probowler. I don't know if Gruden would be a fit with all the changes the NFL has made with making it a more politically correct league, with softer training camps, practice rules etc. but we need a huge change in attitude. I am tired of hearing that we are bringing in players for leadership roles when the coaching staff should be looked at to lead the team and have players fall in line and then develop as team leaders as the season progresses based on their current play, not what they have done in the past.

If we don't turn the corner this year with improved play it will be time to move on and search for a respected HC with a proven track record.
    Last edited by RC RAIDER; 08-11-2014 at 05:13 PM.

vCash
    Going into his 3rd year, I'd consider him a veteran HC. If we stay the same, regress, or show little improvement, he needs canned, simple as that...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by N. Cog Neato View Post
    Going into his 3rd year, I'd consider him a veteran HC. If we stay the same, regress, or show little improvement, he needs canned, simple as that...
    Though I agree, and he needs to progress himself as a HC, I'd like to see him stick around. More and more I wish we hired him as our DC or DB's coach, I don't think he was ready to take the next step quite yet. I like DA, but we do need more preparedness from our HC.

vCash
    I feel DA is generally bright and capable. If he ultimately does not succeed, it may be a case of wrong place at the wrong time. It's been a very daunting task and one conceivably overwhelming. Time will obviously tell. It's possible to make a wrong hire with a good candidate.

vCash
    Allen is a smart guy and I like him but there is a reason he has the job and not a veteran HC with credentials. He's an up and comer but ready for a HC job, probably not. He lacks real experience and you can't fault him for wanting the job but the difference between a guy like Andy Reid and Dennis Allen is experience, in all phases of the game.

vCash
    Andy Reid has won what? He's better than Allen right now. Reid took the job and had draft picks and $$$. DA had neither...Reid hit the floor running...Allen had to crawl and drool...

vCash
    I guess the bigger question to you is if both Reid and Allen were available and both coaches wanted the Raiders job, as an owner, who do you pick as your HC? Take yourself back to what you knew about both coaches when Allen was hired (and yes I know Reid wasn't available when we hired Allen but you get the point).

vCash
    I agree, in 2012...Reid hands down. But Reid was once in Allen's shoes...unproven. Reid's team had picks and $$$ the day he took that job. Allen had neither. Now, in his 3rd year, he has had picks and now $$$. Excuses outta da window...produce or tossed...

vCash
    Here we go again with Gruden, he clearly had more talent than DA when he took over and Gannon was a Pro Bowl caliber QB who nobody believed in......seriously Grbac over Gannon?! DA was not given the job he was hand picked by RM for the situation and direction he wanted the team to go and also because no HC with "experience" was gonna go through two seasons of few draft picks and no money . I've said before that the first two games are throw aways and with this team being shiny and new in regards to players and game plan I'll reserve judgment after at least the 3rd or 4th game of the regular season.

vCash
    I'm not calling on the return of Gruden, although given where this team is at, I wouldn't be mad if he were CHUCKIE again, I am making the point that DA lacks experience and with all the roster moves, we still saw similar lack of focus in our 1st pre-season game. Raider fans are getting tired of excuses. It's time to look like a well oiled machine and we still need a lot of lube.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RC RAIDER View Post
    I'm not calling on the return of Gruden, although given where this team is at, I wouldn't be mad if he were CHUCKIE again, I am making the point that DA lacks experience and with all the roster moves, we still saw similar lack of focus in our 1st pre-season game. Raider fans are getting tired of excuses. It's time to look like a well oiled machine and we still need a lot of lube.
    I understand that DA was here to do all the dirty work and Gruden takes over and reaps the possible rewards. My point is this, every HC who was successful at some point had ZERO experience as a HC when they got a HC job, that's my belief. I'm not saying DA is the answer but with what he had to work with in the beginning and the number of coaches that backed DA's pick as HC there is something there and this year will prove whether he was the right man for the job. I don't think Raider fans are tired of excuses ......we're just damn tired of the losing and season after season of no direction and no hope will do that. When RM was hired I chose to give this organization a clean slate as long as they erased everything pre-Al and started anew I was fully on board. Year 3 is upon us and I'm lookin' forward to what we have to offer to the rest of the NFL....Go Raiders!!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RC RAIDER View Post
    I guess the bigger question to you is if both Reid and Allen were available and both coaches wanted the Raiders job, as an owner, who do you pick as your HC? Take yourself back to what you knew about both coaches when Allen was hired (and yes I know Reid wasn't available when we hired Allen but you get the point).
    Reid of course. The bigger question is would he have even wanted the job given the situation? Remember Sean Payton backing out of our HC position after talking to Parcells or Harbaugh declining to even interview for the job. Mark was a rookie owner, we traded all our draft picks away, the cap was unmanageable, there was a dysfunctional reputation to deal with. Even if DA fails I believe that by letting him fail without meddling and showing enough patience given the situation he inherited the Raider will be able to get someone better next time around if that becomes necessary.

vCash
    Who is this Jon Gruden?

Jay Gruden coaches in the NFL but this Jon guy.... what team is he with?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Indy Raider View Post
    Who is this Jon Gruden?

Jay Gruden coaches in the NFL but this Jon guy.... what team is he with?
    If you are serious...he coached the Raiders in the late 90's. He moved on to Tampa and beat the Raiders in their last Super Bowl. IMO, I don't think he would have done better than DA, especially with the cap issue. I think most people like him because of his fiery sideline antics...AKA Chucky.

vCash
    Let's not forget that coaches like Pete Carroll did not do well the first time or so they took head coaching jobs. I like DA's approach. This is the year for him to show what he can do with much more talent on the roster than the last two years.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast