Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Dolphins working out Skelton, Quinn, and Grossman

Dolphins working out QBs Quinn, Grossman, Skelton

By Marc Sessler
    Around the League Writer
    Published: Aug. 11, 2014 at 11:13 a.m.
    Updated: Aug. 11, 2014 at 11:37 a.m.

The Miami Dolphins aren't done putting the finishing touches on their quarterback room.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported that the team will work out a trio of free-agent passers including Rex Grossman, John Skelton and Brady Quinn on Monday, per a Dolphins source.

Matt Moore (shoulder) and Pat Devlin (hamstring) returned to practice on Sunday, but the team "isn't completely comfortable" with the situation behind starter Ryan Tannehill, per The Miami Herald.

Grossman spent the past four seasons with the Redskins but hasn't thrown a regular-season pass since 2011. Skelton floated around the league last season after three campaigns and 17 starts for the Arizona Cardinals.

Quinn is the former Notre Dame star and first-round pick of the Browns who has a television deal in place with Fox Sports if he doesn't catch on with a club. Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels also reportedly worked out Quinn in Denver earlier this month.

Moore stands out as the superior No. 2 option over anyone else named in this post, so whomever the Dolphins sign will serve as nothing more than a camp body praying for a roster spot.

vCash
    We need SOMEBODY who can at least give our 2nd and 3rd team offensive players a chance to move the ball in preseason.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    We need SOMEBODY who can at least give our 2nd and 3rd team offensive players a chance to move the ball in preseason.
    Gotta agree. Lobato showed nothing and wasted a pre-season game because he couldn't do anything to help the 2nd and 3rd teamers get reps

vCash
    We signed Brady Quinn, so I guess we have come full circle

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WildPhins10 View Post
    We signed Brady Quinn, so I guess we have come full circle
    As long as he doesn't even sniff the field in a regular season game, then I could care less.

Pretty sure this ends the Matt Moore era though. He's hurt and makes like 4 million this year, makes it pretty hard to keep him.

Had to be done! Go T-Rex

vCash
    Moore has a cap hit of 5.5M lol

Doesn't mean much with this being a make or break season for Philbin. He will want the best QB behind Tannehill.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StayOnBoard View Post
    As long as he doesn't even sniff the field in a regular season game, then I could care less.

Pretty sure this ends the Matt Moore era though. He's hurt and makes like 4 million this year, makes it pretty hard to keep him.
    -- Actually it would be a not so good idea to let Moore go.

-- His cap hit and salary are what it costs for a capable backup in the league.

-- It'd be bad to let him go b/c if Tanny gets hurt, lets say the Phins are 4-2 and Tanny gets hurt. Is Quinn really going to keep us afloat, compared to Moore?

-- So I think this is more of a contingency plan in case Moore's shoulder is something that will keep him on IR, but I doubt they would just let him go for free... The moment he is let go the Texans will make him their starter, so if you want to get rid of Moore trade him for a 4th, 5th, or a 6th round pick

vCash
    I don't think this had anything to do with moore as much as devlin. I think the dolphins came to the conclusion that devlins weak arm is not going to cut it at the nfl level

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Plague View Post
    I don't think this had anything to do with moore as much as devlin. I think the dolphins came to the conclusion that devlins weak arm is not going to cut it at the nfl level
    Philbin stated today that there is a battle for the #2. If Quinn out plays him Moore is gone.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrench View Post
    Philbin stated today that there is a battle for the #2. If Quinn out plays him Moore is gone.
    That is just general coach speak, he said Cam Wake's spot was open for competition soooo.

Anyways Devlin made it thru waivers so he is now on the IR

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrench View Post
    wildphins basically said what I was going to say. I would be shocked if the fins got rid of matt moore because of brady quinn

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WildPhins10 View Post
    That is just general coach speak, he said Cam Wake's spot was open for competition soooo.

Anyways Devlin made it thru waivers so he is now on the IR
    Had not seen where he said that about Wake.

If Quinn out plays him he outplays him. Its not hard to not see that, neither are very good but Quinn does have some mobility.