Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Did Lebron pretty much 'kill' the dunk contest? Can it get revived?

The dunk contest used to be one of the biggest events around, even loads of non-NBA fans would tune in to see it. Everyone's favorite event back in the day..

Year by year it's been slipping off and it doesn't even bring excitement anymore..we've begun to realize that all we really want to see is big stars in there competing..like Jordan vs Wilkins, like Dr J, like VC and Kobe, like Lebron and Griffin.

Did his attitude towards the contest ruin it entirely? His decision held a lot if weight to whether it could remain popular. All lebron had to do was compete in it to make it still a 'thing' for stars to do.
    If Jordan didn't think it was cool would any stars after give a dam about it?

Can it be revived again?

Looking at the stars today and the recent dunk contests, unless Andrew Wiggins does a double backflip, it's over.

[I]Originally Posted by mightybosstone:

I would argue that Harden is a much better player offensively today than Kobe was in those years he played with Shaq...
    Howard is also a better defensive center today than Shaq ever was.

vCash
    i don't see how the standard of the dunk contest correlates to Lebron being too much of a wimp to participate. honestly, did you just want to make, yet, another Lebron thread? there's not enough of them?

It's not about big stars participating, it's more to do w/ the standard of competitors. Lebron could sign up and make for good ratings but if he ends up doing novelty, gimmicky, mediocre dunks that take 3-4 takes to execute then he's not going to change the standard of the competition. All he'd have done is gain ratings.

Back in the day players like Jordan entered the dunk comp to make a name for themselves, to gain sponsors and endorsements. So they wanted to prove themselves. Today players are paid before they've even played a game of basketball in the NBA. One of the reasons why the standard has been so poor and players take so many goes to execute a simple dunk that was done over 10-15 yrs ago. Players have nothing to prove today it seems. EVerything is alot easier in todays nba.

"A lot of basketball players today are overpaid & it influences their game & work ethics in a negative way. They've been given things they haven't earned and I think the game has been cheated." - Michael Jordan

"Without honor winning holds no value. When one lacks true virtues, victory becomes empty & the unethical triumphs." - B. Modigliani

#LoyaltyOverRoyalty

vCash
    I think it has just run its course, at least in its current format.

You can only out-do the last guy so many times.

After Nate Robinson took 10 tries to throw the ball throw his legs and off the backboard a few years ago it lost some mojo too.

they should do 2o2 or 3o3 at the all-star break and have them shoot for captains and pick teams. That would be pretty cool

vCash
    Yeah, I'd definitely say Lebron killed the dunk contest.

He's also responsible for global warming, racism, the holocaust, 9/11, and pancreatic cancer.

vCash
    Yeah it's LeBron's fault no one has any imagination any more and all the dunks are full of **** props.

What a surprise you made a thread blaming LeBron for something, would never have expected that from you

vCash
    These LeBron threads are getting ridiculous.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sixer04fan View Post
    Yeah, I'd definitely say Lebron killed the dunk contest.

He's also responsible for global warming, racism, the holocaust, 9/11, and pancreatic cancer.
    well we know global warming and the holocaust aren't true and he has been proven to cause pancreatic cancer, so....

vCash
    i thought for sure this was just another bait thread but i think this is a fair question. like it or not, he is the leagues greatest player and the guy who captures the imagination most of fans. just like when guys don't want to play for their country, it makes it awfully easy for the guys that follow to say no as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

vCash
    Last years dunk contest was the worst ever. Teams in a dunk contest?

If they have that same setup, I will definitely not even bother to watch.

Shump, Shump!

vCash
    What stars haven't competed since Lebron that would have otherwise? I think if anythings killing the dunk contest it's the thing that kept Lebron away. A lack of creativity. That said, the dunk contest with Lavine and Wiggins will definitely be one to remember.

vCash
    Also, how did LeBron kill the dunk contest?

Honestly, I don't even think LeBron would win a dunk contest. He's not a flashy dunker. He's a in game, power, posterize-your-*** dunker.

Shump, Shump!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NYKnickFanatic View Post
    Also, how did LeBron kill the dunk contest?

Honestly, I don't even think LeBron would win a dunk contest. He's not a flashy dunker. He's a in game, power, posterize-your-*** dunker.
    Exactly would this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxYHnfb4IYQ

Really have been something to remember? If Lebron was confident he would have won he would have competed to shut up the critics.

vCash
    It was rubbish before LeBron came along to be honest, it's gotten to a point where the whole allstar weekend is trash. I won't go out of my way to watch it again this year.

vCash
    Don't blame Lebron for the demise of the contest. After all its not his fault other guys aren't great dunkers and he did not implement the idiotic props that get used.

It's also not on him to save it. But as a fan I would love to see him enter it.

vCash
    I hate lebron, I'll admit it any day.

That being said, this thread is a bit of a stretch.. Haha the dunk contest ruined because lebron lied about entering the contest because he's scared he'd lose is irrelevant. I think the dunk contest has been going downhill for years tbh because we've already seen a lot of the dunks already, nowadays its just all about trying to make the dunk look pretty with a different kind of lob or a prop that hasn't been used before..

Your baby can't do this

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast