Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    In a house in a Coldesac in Lake in the Hills, Il
    vCash

WHO STARTS (OUR BIG MAN Rotation)

While, i am pretty happy with our off season, i have a question that really hasnt been answered so much, and while we all know that Thibs starting doesnt matter ( see boozer) I was wondering what you guys thought our first and 2nd team could look like.

I think the only clear cut starter is Noah, Noah at Center, being the play maker and defensive player he is will 100% be our starting C Day 1. and baring injury Day 365.

the question is, who starts next to him, and what does the bench look like.

Here are a few Scenarios that could come up.

First, Scenario

Pau Starts, he is Probably the 2nd best offensive player we have behind Rose, has size and skill to help out everyone. however, this leaves our 2nd team, while not nessisarily out on the floor without one of the other two, undersized, with Taj (6'9) and Mirotic ( 6'10). while those two could survive against most teams, I do like having size off the bench. agaisnt some teams like Portland, Minisota, ect.

Second Scenario

Taj Starts, I like and dislike many things about this, for one, it leaves gasol to spell Noah, leaving size at Center. I also like our Defense on our first team, I like having Mirotic and Gasol ( the Spanish Duo) to play together which would be a huge help to Mirotic IMO. and I like the Chemestry that already exist on the first team with Rose and the bigs) the only thing i do not love is Gasol/Mirotic are not a good defensive Duo

Third Scenario, and probably my favorite overall. and also most unlikely

Mirotic Starts, I think this is highly improbable, but i like the idea of starting him for a few reasons. the first, being Rose, drive and kick to mirotic, with other guys would really spread things out. also, Noah would have more room to drive from that high post, which IMO, boozer blocked off alot last season. and open up the lane a ton for back cuts by rose, Butler, and Dunleavy/Mcbuckets. the other thing i love is the balance of our 2nd team, Brining in size on the 2nd team with Gasol, Taj being the defensive big, I think those two could work well together,

I know that while starters dont matter in our scheme, its more about rotation and guys get together anyway, its nice to think about some of the options we could throw out on the floor. so what is your opinion, I think its most likely that Pau Does Start, but which option do you like the best.

‎"If your going to be thinking anyway, you might as well think big"

-Rem Koolhaas

vCash
    I think Mirotic should unless they find out he can't play, due to his effiecency and 3 point prowess.
    Mirotic/gibson
    Noah/gasol
    But likely
    Gasol/gibson/miro
    Noah/Gibson/Gasol
    Not at all suggesting Miro is better than Gibson/Gasol just think things would fit better

vCash
    I think Gasol and Noah will start, but (due to reasons you mentioned such as being undersized) I do not think we'll see much of Gibson and Mirotic together. While they may be our 'second team' we may see Gasol come out late in the first and have a Gibson/Noah combo, then Noah comes out and we have Gasol/Gibson, then maybe Noah and Mirotic come in together.

I'm not saying it will play out exactly like that, but just because Gibson and Mirotic start on the bench together does not mean they will be on the floor together most of the time when they do play. We should start our best players, and that would be Noah and Gasol.

vCash
    PF: Gasol (20) Taj (12) Mirotic (16)
    C: Noah (30) Gasol (8) Taj (10)

Could see it shaking out something like above, with Bairstow chilling on the bench in case fit hits the shan.

vCash
    ^ That's pretty close to what I'm expecting too.

PF: Gasol (22) Taj (14) Mirotic (12)
    C: Noah (32) Gasol (8) Taj (8)

I could see Mirotic at the 3 for a few minutes too, depending on matchups and if he isn't getting the rookie treatment.

vCash
    If Pau's healthy, he'll start every night. I expect him to miss 10-20 games, so Gibson will see some starts there most likely

vCash
    I think Noah and Gasol will be the starting big men. Gasol has been the second option on championship teams, and although he is 34, he doesn't rely on athleticism. Gasol averaged 20 points and 11 rebounds per 36 minutes last season, while Taj was at 16.5 points and 8.5 rebounds per 36 minutes. If Rose is healthy, we know what he brings to the table offensively. However, Butler regressed offensively last season.

Assuming that McDermott starts, he would be the second option with Gibson in the starting lineup, which is a lot of pressure for a rookie on a contending team. If Dunleavy starts instead of McDermott, he or Taj would be the second option in the starting lineup. I like Dunleavy and Taj, but neither should be the second option in the starting lineup on a contending team. Noah is a great passer, but he is not a scorer. If Gibson starts, there will not be enough of an offensive punch in the starting lineup.

Also, I like Gibson coming off the bench because I think every bench should have a big man who is known for defense.
    Last edited by Ryu_24; 08-10-2014 at 11:56 PM.

vCash
    Noah/Bairstow/Nazr
    Gasol/Gipson/Mirotic
    MDJ/McBuckets/Butler
    Butler/Snell/Hinrich
    Rose/Brooks/Hinrich

You know what would be awesome,

Noah/Bairstow/Nazr
    Gasol/Mirotic/Gipson
    Gipson/MDJ/McB
    Butler/Snell/Hinrich
    Rose/Brooks/Hinrich
    Last edited by vdv36; 08-11-2014 at 08:09 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by metsbulls1025 View Post
    (Topic: Pat Riley)Yeah snorting coke off of Lebron James thigh obviously makes you crazy.

vCash
    Noah | Varejoa
    Gasol | Love
    Gipson | James
    Butler | Waiters
    Rose | Irving

Bench

Bairstow | Haywood
    Mirotic | Thompson
    MDJ | Miller
    Snell | Harris
    Brooks | Lucus III
    (Topic: Pat Riley)Yeah snorting coke off of Lebron James thigh obviously makes you crazy.

vCash
    Gasol will no doubt start. When we talk about the 2nd unit, you don't actually have these guys come in all together and play long minutes without starters. What I can see happening is Gasol/Noah starting, Taj replacing Noah at about the 8 minute mark in the 1st to keep offense with defense. Gasol shifts to C and Taj at PF. At around 10-11, Mirotic replaces Gasol and Taj shifts to C but this will be a brief stint with Noah replacing Taj a third of the way through the 2nd quarter.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vdv36 View Post
    Noah | Varejoa
    Gasol | Love
    Gipson | James
    Butler | Waiters
    Rose | Irving

Bench

Bairstow | Haywood
    Mirotic | Thompson
    MDJ | Miller
    Snell | Harris
    Brooks | Lucus III
    Gibson playing SF doesn't make sense... he can't guard Lebron every possession of the game, he would just get abused on the perimeter if we did that. And that starting lineup has the worst spacing in the league. The Cavs would LOVE if we rolled out with that lineup, Rose would turn the ball over every time he tried to drive with Butler being our best perimeter shooter.

vCash
    So MDJ will defend LBJ??

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Shammyguy3 View Post
    Gibson playing SF doesn't make sense... he can't guard Lebron every possession of the game, he would just get abused on the perimeter if we did that. And that starting lineup has the worst spacing in the league. The Cavs would LOVE if we rolled out with that lineup, Rose would turn the ball over every time he tried to drive with Butler being our best perimeter shooter.

I think Gipson is talented enough to guard LBJ... We all know Butler has done a good job in the past??? There's only one little problem... We didn't address the need for 2-3 spots on our team... If Gipson could transition to the 3 spot that would be huge! Your spacing of the floor theory makes no sence at all to me... We needed to replace Loul and we didn't... Unless we start snell at 2 and Butler at 3?? I don't see many options

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vdv36 View Post
    So MDJ will defend LBJ??
    Butler is defending Lebron dude. Don't take these positions to seriously. We'll throw McDermott or Dunleavy on Waiters, Miller, Allen. Butler, Snell, Taj will handle Lebron duties.

vCash
    With Cavs getting Shawn Marion and Ray Allen They might be old but we won't have enough back up In my opinion... Thibs can only play these guys so much and if he doesn't change rotation times with butler, Rose, taj and Noah..., no joke Thibs will be next dusty baker! I don't care who we put on LBJ he'll destroy anyone... Butler did a good job on LBJ?? LBJ was still scoring 30 points... Lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast