Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Worst Decision Front Office Ever Made?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Promising the Playoffs then tanking.

0 0%
  • Using the Amnesty Clause on Charlie Bell

1 14.29%
  • Using the #1 pick on Joe Smith

0 0%
  • Trading Robert Parish and Kevin McHale to the Boston Celtics for Joe Barry Carroll and Rickey Brown

2 28.57%
  • Trading Wilt.

1 14.29%
  • Drafting Purvis Short instead of Larry Bird.

0 0%
  • Drafting Todd Fuller over Kobe and Nash.

2 28.57%
  • Paying Adonal Foyle

0 0%
  • Other

1 14.29%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Worst Decision Front Office Ever Made??

Yep, let's look back at our horrible history, reflect on how awful we've been and hopefully put the recent and future success into perspective.

So, what do you think is the worst? What's your bottom 5 moments?

I added a poll for the main ones off the top of my head but don't let that hold you back, converse all of the terrible mistakes and remind us all how good we have it now

vCash
    I only went with joe Barry bc my dads best friend is joes brother. My dad said he was an *** and it was an obvious rape on us. Second would be not trading for Love. I'm crying every night bc of this lol...
    49ers, Warriors, SF Giants, Sharks lol SMH

vCash
    I'm not seeing a poll. Do I need to do something on my phone so the poll will appear?

vCash
    interesting- trading mitch richmond for an unproven rookie? trading their front court savior in chris webber because he didnt get along with the coach- then 2 months later... firing Don Nelson?

On the other end- I dont think drafting joe smith was a horrible move. Sure he wasnt a great number 1 pick but he showed a lot of promise during his rookie year and then he just started playing soft- when in college and as a rookie he was an amazing offensive rebounder. Looking back obviously- rasheed wallace, kevin garnett and mcdise would have been better picks.

But experts were picking all sorts of guys for the number 1 pick in 95. Stackhouse, Smith, Wallace. But looking back- The rookie of the year was a 5 10 pg who nobody really expected.... and I think Smith finished second in rookie of the year voting (it might be 3rd... I dont know if stackhouse finished with more votes). Overall though- all rookie first team and an above average starter as a rookie isnt horrible for what looked to be an uncertain draft at the time.

I remember he had his best game of the season against the bulls in an amazing effort that came up short 99-95. Smith had 23 points and 20 boards and held rodman to like 8 rebounds.
    A role model if I ever knew one

vCash
    and purvis short over larry bird is just stupid... obviously larry bird turned out better (although bird didnt play right away when he was drafted)... but pervis short was still an elite player in warriors history

vCash
    I would say its hard to pinpoint one thing- but managements handling of the webber situation and general personnel decisions through out the 94-95 season would be my vote if im permitted to vote for a series of events

vCash
    at that time it was hard to tell whats going on- LOL I was in 6th grade- but I just remember hearing random things every 3 or 4 days... and I remember people talking about the warriors being contenders with a healthy tim hardaway coming back and chris webber taking a jump forward to being one of the top tier players in the game on both ends of the court... as well as latrel sprewell's progression coming off an all NBA 1st team selection the year earlier

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by likemystylez View Post
    and purvis short over larry bird is just stupid... obviously larry bird turned out better (although bird didnt play right away when he was drafted)... but pervis short was still an elite player in warriors history
    I respectfully disagree. I mean he was an elite player, but in hindsight it was clearly a mistake to not take Bird.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by likemystylez View Post
    I would say its hard to pinpoint one thing- but managements handling of the webber situation
    I almost put that in the poll but it seemed like I could have had 7 options for each thing they did wrong handling that situation. I could have just put "The Webber Situation" I suppose.

vCash
    I also considered mentioning just how often we've started to get good and show some promise only to blow it up, but couldn't think of a concise way of writing it in the poll given the character limit lol.

Again, the poll was just for fun, this was more for reminiscing sake. Putting things into perspective.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goose17 View Post
    I respectfully disagree. I mean he was an elite player, but in hindsight it was clearly a mistake to not take Bird.
    well- I agree if I could do it over again, id take larry bird. He was the better player- but at the time selecting purvis short was a solid decision and 5 other GMs passed on bird too. LOL- Lakers could have had both bird and magic....

so yeah- picking bird would have been better- but considering drafting purvis short over larry bird one of the "worst decisions the front office ever made"- ehh that seems harsh

vCash
    I started to write a post as the first post after Goose posted the poll ... but it all just became too depressing because I was just adding to the list

vCash
    well it comes down to what youd consider a bad decision. Personally I think labeling something one of the worst decisions a franchise has made....means you have to consider the information available to the decision maker at that time/ the circumstances around the decision/ the current objective of the organization. I think Goose sort of just looks at the outcome or the consequences and determines how bad a decision was.

The information available- is the decision maker(s) aware of what they are doing? Is there any info suggesting how good/bad a player will be for the team going forward. As oppose to- its kind of a crap shot and they guessed wrong. I put the webber situation- because I thought after webbers rookie year- it was very clear to basically everybody in the league that webber was going to be one of the best players in the league for the next 10-12 yrs. Aside from that- he was probably the best possible big man for Nellies system to play along side hardaway, sprewell, mullin and owens. I know there were circumstances around the webber trade- but in that situation... you kinda have to bend over and do what the 20 yr old wants.

Circumstances around a trade. For instance- if they give Klay a max contract- that might not be a great decision. I personally dont think klay has the ability to dominate a game for any stretch because he cant make anything happen for himself. I believe he can get better- but as of now I havent seen it at all. and hed need to get a lot better IMO. However- after letting klay be the reason they didnt go after love- there is absolutely NO way they can let klay sign with another team. Theyve already invested too much in him (in opportunity costs). Also if they sign a player to a big deal and something happens to his game that was unforeseen (IE Biedrins)- I dont consider that a horrible decision to sign him, it just didnt work out the way it should have. On the flip side- when they sign stephen jackson to a 3 yr extension when he still has 2 yrs on his current deal after this one with no player or team options.- Thats a move that just doesnt make any sense from a business standpoint (Even if you have 100% faith in jackson). You are bidding against yourself, and restricting future moves when you have jacksons bird rights anyway so there isnt even a risk of losing him against their will.

The current objective of the team at the time of the trade. There are plenty of trades made to dump salary where the team is not trying to get better with the move. Maggette trade, harrington trade, crawford trade, jackson trade, etc. It kinda pissed me off, because over a 2-3 yr period it seemed like every single trade they made was a salary dump... to get rid of bad contracts... then they turn around and pay kwame brown 7 million a year. (to play 9 games). Or you make a trade/ draft for a position rather than on ability. Portland taking bowie over jordan.....was that a horrible decision? Jordan was an unproven rookie- they had just drafted drexler who looked to be the real deal and he played the same position as jordan.

LOL- I think I just literally wrote an essay

vCash
    I think Goose has posted on the $100M man thread in the main NBA forum ... but complaining about Klay's possible max contract pales in comparison to Brian Grant making over $100M in his career.

vCash
    All fair points Stylez. Didn't read it all though tbh. But I see you logic.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast