Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Colts expect Holmes back for opening day

ANDERSON, Ind. -- The Indianapolis Colts' quest to have continuity on their offensive line continues to take hits because of injuries.

Holmes
    The one bit of good news to come out of coach Chuck Pagano’s mouth late Saturday afternoon is that starting center Khaled Holmes' sprained ankle should be healthy in enough time for him to return to the lineup for the Sept. 7 opener against the Denver Broncos.

“Holmes is going to be [out] a couple of weeks,” Pagano said. “We’re optimistic that he’ll get back in time to get back in the lineup and have at least a week or so of practice. We’re optimistic that he’ll be back by the opener.”

Holmes injured his ankle on the Colts’ opening drive during their preseason opener against the New York Jets on Thursday. He was walking around the practice field wearing a walking boot on his left foot Saturday.

The injuries on the offensive line don’t stop with Holmes. Doctors, according to Pagano, are still looking at the MRI done on rookie Ulrick John to decide the best action to take with his injured ankle. A source said John broke his ankle during the game against the Jets. Xavier Nixon had surgery to clean up a “little meniscus” in his knee. Pagano gave about a three-week timetable on Nixon’s return.

The Colts re-signed Thomas Austin, who was on their practice squad last season, on Friday.

“We’d love to line up week in and week out with the same lineup, play 16 games with the same five. We had eight different lineups last year,” Pagano said. “The way things are going now, with the injuries we have now, it’s been difficult to get through the first portion of camp. It’s a challenge, but we have smart guys, we have tough guys.”

Rookie center Jonotthan Harrison will continue to work with the first unit while Holmes is out. The undrafted rookie out of Florida settled down after having two bad snaps once Holmes left the game Thursday.

“He played well, did some good things, minus the two snaps,” Pagano said. “He graded out pretty well. He’s been doing extremely well all camp. We’re proud of what John came in and did.”
    http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/po...ack-for-opener

Holmes was great before his injury, but he should get the injury prone label now. Been hurt 2 straight camps/preseason and i believe he was hurt at USC too.
    #3in5

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Vontae Davis looks like Bumgarner of the San Francisco Giants. He's throwing a no hitter out there tonight" - Jon Gruden

vCash
    The guy has a history going back to college of ankle problems. It doesn't really matter if he's back in time for the regular season as he'll just continue to have ankle problems.

Picks like this are one of my biggest beefs with Grigson. If you can't stay healthy you can't stay healthy, and going to the NFL isn't going to magically make you stay healthy. To the contrary.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVicster View Post
    The guy has a history going back to college of ankle problems. It doesn't really matter if he's back in time for the regular season as he'll just continue to have ankle problems.

Picks like this are one of my biggest beefs with Grigson. If you can't stay healthy you can't stay healthy, and going to the NFL isn't going to magically make you stay healthy. To the contrary.
    I'm sure Adrian Peterson would like to object. Not everyone is AP and worthy of picking in the first round with injury questions...but if you see a guy you believe may have the potential of being a starter in the NFL sitting around in the 4th round and a few ankle injuries are the only knock on him....you take that guy and hope your trainers can get him to get rid of that injury prone label.

If Holmes had been our first round pick that year I could understand your outrage. I also understand your not liking him taking a gamble on Holmes health...which I agreed with you on in the off season it was a gamble that will tell us a lot about grigson. However to say Grigson screwed up by drafting him when he took him in the 4th round is just wrong. Can you name another center good enough to start that was taken after Holmes? I sure can't.
    Last edited by matthollabak; 08-11-2014 at 04:20 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by matthollabak View Post
    I'm sure Adrian Peterson would like to object. Not everyone is AP and worthy of picking in the first round with injury questions...but if you see a guy you believe may have the potential of being a starter in the NFL sitting around in the 4th round and a few ankle injuries are the only knock on him....you take that guy and hope your trainers can get him to get rid of that injury prone label.

If Holmes had been our first round pick that year I could understand your outrage. I also understand your not liking him taking a gamble on Holmes health...which I agreed with you on in the off season it was a gamble that will tell us a lot about grigson. However to say Grigson screwed up by drafting him when he took him in the 4th round is just wrong. Can you name another center good enough to start that was taken after Holmes? I sure can't.
    Point was you shouldn't pin all your hopes on a 4th round C who has played a total of 12 snaps in his career.
    #3in5

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Vontae Davis looks like Bumgarner of the San Francisco Giants. He's throwing a no hitter out there tonight" - Jon Gruden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiants1213 View Post
    Point was you shouldn't pin all your hopes on a 4th round C who has played a total of 12 snaps in his career.
    I understand all that and even agreed with everyone that it was a risk before camp started, but I was more talking about his mention of Grigson drafting guys like Holmes in the middle rounds being an issue.

vCash
    Hilton had big injury issues and was considered to small and frail to stay healthy in the NFL. Hows that worked out? Some times the injury prone part can be fixed.

Lucks on our side

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Colts2180 View Post
    Hilton had big injury issues and was considered to small and frail to stay healthy in the NFL. Hows that worked out? Some times the injury prone part can be fixed.
    Explain. How does one suddenly become "not injury prone"
    #3in5

<3

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiants1213 View Post
    Explain. How does one suddenly become "not injury prone"
    Generally the same way they get the label for getting hurt a couple years in a row. If they stay healthy for a couple years, maybe change some things like pre game treatment of the issue, exercises/stretches, or maybe they have been electing not to have a surgery and playing through it, and then suddenly do have the procedure people forget all about the fragile person they once thought he was.

For example Robert Griffin is injury prone in my mind right now...however if he learns to slide, stays in the pocket more, and takes less hits....then proves he can stay healthy for 2+ years then that label would start to go away.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by matthollabak View Post
    Generally the same way they get the label for getting hurt a couple years in a row. If they stay healthy for a couple years, maybe change some things like pre game treatment of the issue, exercises/stretches, or maybe they have been electing not to have a surgery and playing through it, and then suddenly do have the procedure people forget all about the fragile person they once thought he was.

For example Robert Griffin is injury prone in my mind right now...however if he learns to slide, stays in the pocket more, and takes less hits....then proves he can stay healthy for 2+ years then that label would start to go away.
    It should take several more years of complete health to shed the 'injury prone' label.
    #3in5

<3