Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AJ Ellis

vCash

AJ Ellis

It's no ignoring that Ellis has been horrible at the plate this year. His last good year probably has been 2 years ago in 2012 when he hit for average and decent power at the catching position.

I know he's battled injuries this year and last year but he is 34 years old next season. He's not a FA until 2017 which means he'll probably be looking for a back up job as I can't see him being a starter when that time comes.

Now, I do believe a lot of Ellis value comes with the pitching staff and especially Clayton Kershaw. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if Kershaw hints around that he needs Ellis to be the pitcher he is. From an ownership/management view the last thing you want to do is upset your best pitcher in decades by making waves and talking about getting rid of his battery mate.

But with the offensive production from Ellis how long can you really keep him around? I'm not sure what players are around the league that are available so that could be a big issue but it really is starting to look like we need to start looking for another good option in 2015.

I'd be cool with keeping him as a back up so he could catch for Kershaw. But I just don't think that the value he brings with being a good battery for the pitchers is worth such a poor showing in offense.

Thoughts?

vCash
    He should be our bench catcher - not our regular. I like the guy but he's a liability on offense. Both him and Butera are a big hole in our line up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PickernRoller View Post
    He should be our bench catcher - not our regular. I like the guy but he's a liability on offense. Both him and Butera are a big hole in our line up.
    Agreed, let him be on the bench. Tutor younger catchers and play every time Kershaw starts.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DodgerBlue8188 View Post
    It's no ignoring that Ellis has been horrible at the plate this year. His last good year probably has been 2 years ago in 2012 when he hit for average and decent power at the catching position.

I know he's battled injuries this year and last year but he is 34 years old next season. He's not a FA until 2017 which means he'll probably be looking for a back up job as I can't see him being a starter when that time comes.

Now, I do believe a lot of Ellis value comes with the pitching staff and especially Clayton Kershaw. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if Kershaw hints around that he needs Ellis to be the pitcher he is. From an ownership/management view the last thing you want to do is upset your best pitcher in decades by making waves and talking about getting rid of his battery mate.

But with the offensive production from Ellis how long can you really keep him around? I'm not sure what players are around the league that are available so that could be a big issue but it really is starting to look like we need to start looking for another good option in 2015.

I'd be cool with keeping him as a back up so he could catch for Kershaw. But I just don't think that the value he brings with being a good battery for the pitchers is worth such a poor showing in offense.

Thoughts?
    Catcher is not the problem. Whatever you get from them on the offense is a plus. Just look at our entire team and not tell me you would not replace any position besides Puig, Gordon, Gonzalez and Kemp(The Kemp of now). Also, the bullpen. Dodgers are what they are. You got to hope come playoff time they can perform the extraordinary. That's all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lakersRule!! View Post
    Catcher is not the problem. Whatever you get from them on the offense is a plus. Just look at our entire team and not tell me you would not replace any position besides Puig, Gordon, Gonzalez and Kemp(The Kemp of now). Also, the bullpen. Dodgers are what they are. You got to hope come playoff time they can perform the extraordinary. That's all.
    Ellis hasn't been good defensively either and it's one thing for someone to struggle offensively but it's another for him to be the worst hitter in the entire league, playing regularly.

Ellis has been absolutely awful. He should not be our starting catcher next year. At this point I think it would disrupt the pitching staff to switch midseason but there's no reason he should be anything but our backup next year.

I like the Russ Martin idea personally.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DerekBrink2 View Post
    Ellis hasn't been good defensively either and it's one thing for someone to struggle offensively but it's another for him to be the worst hitter in the entire league, playing regularly.

Ellis has been absolutely awful. He should not be our starting catcher next year. At this point I think it would disrupt the pitching staff to switch midseason but there's no reason he should be anything but our backup next year.

I like the Russ Martin idea personally.
    I'm not a big fan of Ellis, either. But even if we had more offense, this bullpen would blow the lead. See what the dodgers do in the off season to rebuild the pen. Also, you got to have players who can hit under pressure. These guys really cant hit. They stress too much.

vCash
    I know what you're saying about any offense you get from catcher is a huge plus. But that's the response you say when a catcher is batting .230ish and providing great defense. But Ellis is batting sub .200. You gotta at least have a catcher that can hit above .200. Granted his on base % is about .345.

vCash
    Of course catcher is a problem, it's a complete black hole.

vCash
    I know what you're saying about any offense you get from catcher is a huge plus. But that's the response you say when a catcher is batting .230ish and providing great defense. But Ellis is batting sub .200. You gotta at least have a catcher that can hit above .200. Granted his on base % is about .345.

That's a function of where he hits mostly.

vCash
    He stinks. Butera stinks. Yet sadly, they are both better than "FedEx". I fast forward through their all of their ABs (as well as Crawford's, Ethier's, Rojas', Van Slyke's...and sometimes Gonzalez's, though he's had a good series). This team bores the hell out of me.

vCash
    Too many auto outs on this team, they lose 1 bat and the lineup collapses as we're seeing now.

ugh Kershaw with a double to the pitcher.

vCash

Dodgers not about to do anything this year about it. Next season i totally agree.

vCash
    Ellis has been awful... I'm at the point where I'd prefer FedEx to be our starting catcher the rest of the season, but I know that won't happen.

Russell Martin in 2015 sounds awesome...
    Foam Party!

vCash

Thoughts?
    So, not sure where you are getting your info from but Ellis is under contract for this year only, see Cots baseball contracts. So at the end of the year we can go after another catcher.

I will say that if he can return to 2012 form, I would have no problem keepin him on staff. I kinda think we need to give him a chance to show what he can do when healthy.....we were not patient with Werth and his injuries and let him go........and we can all see what he has doen in Washington.

Also, who is going to be avaliable next year......and no I don't want Martin. I hope that bum is washed out of MLB. We brought him up, rehabbed him, then offered him a contract before he proved he could still catch. He blew us off and took a very similar contract offer from the tankees. As far as I am concerned he can rot somewhere else.

vCash
    Ellis isn't a free agent until 2017, he's ARB eligible in 2015
    Foam Party!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast