Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Kenneth Faried, Greg Monroe, Jonas Valanciunas

Each of these guys have shown glimpses of brilliance in their games the past couple years. What are their ceilings? Will any of the three reach the ASG? Will any reach superstar potential?
    Faried was the MVP for the rookie/sophomore game a couple years back. Monroe is young and a double double machine. JVal was supposed to be the next Pau/Dirk level pedigree Euro player.
    Where do they end up?
    Last edited by DemarDerozan; 08-09-2014 at 02:23 AM.

vCash
    solid role players,none of them are stars

vCash
    I can see J Val emerging into something special. He is still so young and so is that raptors team.

vCash
    lol i loved the similar thread last year it was hilarious

if jv can make the jump to 14/10 next year it will decide his future
    casey said he expected 14 a game from him next year so if he doesnt deliver it will affect how many touches he gets in the future.
    the fact that he gets to learn the position starting on a playoff team at 21 is huge imo.
    go home raptors, you're drunk

vCash
    The Grantland thread shed some light on why boxscore stuffers like Faried might not be as valuable as their stats suggest. The way he influences his teammates game isn't thought too highly of but he did display some increasingly reliable go-to moves, so maybe he can change that.
    Yo Kobe, get at me bro, we'd have a good time, man

vCash
    I think JV has a bright future, he is still so young, just turned 22 and he is improving with each year. He was 15/11 on 53% FG per36 player on a winning team last season. Monroe is 24 and didn't make any push in his game for 3 years now. And Faried looks like a role player for years now really.

vCash
    As long as Faried continues to maintain that strong work ethic and injuries don't further hinder his progress IMO he is most likely to make the ASG. He might not be the flashiest players in the league but he is damn sure is one of the best hustlers especially on defense.

Im not infatuated with Monroe at all like most fans. His defense is terrible and those outstanding passing skills that scouts raved about during the time he was drafted is no where near the hype received.

vCash

Kenneth Faried, Greg Monroe, Jonas Valanciunas

Truth be told I think Monroe has the highest upside out of all of them. But I truly believe they can all be all stars and be a great help to their team. Faried is extremely athletic and terrific rebounder with high energy. Monroe has goo post moves, high iq, great passer and terrific rebounder. And jv can score pretty efficiently, good rebounder and understands his role very well I believe.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    The Grantland thread shed some light on why boxscore stuffers like Faried might not be as valuable as their stats suggest. The way he influences his teammates game isn't thought too highly of but he did display some increasingly reliable go-to moves, so maybe he can change that.
    Haven't watched enough of him to know, so could you explain the bolded please?

vCash
    Faried is at or close to his ceiling. Monroe should be able to reach all star status but Detroits poor management did him no favors last season and Val is a toss up we keep hearing how good he can/will be but its still just some flashes and he is probably the 4th option on that team

RETURN OF THE MAC

Rec: 8 Yards: 142 TD: 2

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 2-ONE-5 View Post
    Faried is at or close to his ceiling. Monroe should be able to reach all star status but Detroits poor management did him no favors last season and Val is a toss up we keep hearing how good he can/will be but its still just some flashes and he is probably the 4th option on that team
    I'd say offensively he's probably the 6th or 7th option. Lowry, Derozan, Ross, Lou Williams, Vasquez, and maybe even Amir.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinTime View Post
    I'd say offensively he's probably the 6th or 7th option. Lowry, Derozan, Ross, Lou Williams, Vasquez, and maybe even Amir.
    Demar is 1
    Val is 2
    lowry is 3

They generally start the game by going to Val, then he tends to fade and demar or lowry take over. If he has it going in the post then they try and force feed him like in game 1 vs Nets.

Alot of his mistakes are mental, the pump fake and not shooting has to stop. He often has wide open shots and will pump fake instead of just shooting. After a couple of turnovers or wasted opp he usually becomes a pick setter, rebounder.

Amir has no plays run for him. He gets his off of pick and rolls and put backs. Val actually goes to work on the block.

vCash
    Monroe is what he is. A nice player who likely won't take the next step. He can score and rebound but is not good defensively. He is not a max player but could be a nice 3rd option for a quality team.

vCash
    the only reason Monroe hasnt taken the next step is bcuz the Pistons brought in josh smith and the ever chucking jennings. Monroe has game he just needs a new team to further show it

RETURN OF THE MAC

Rec: 8 Yards: 142 TD: 2

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Shammyguy3 View Post
    Haven't watched enough of him to know, so could you explain the bolded please?
    The piece was basically about the questionable value of the power forwards who can't stretch the floor, or protect the paint (so the faried's, Tristan Thompson's, Greg Monroe's of the world).

It was saying that these guys can't really make their teams better without having one or both of these traits because nowdays 3 pt shooting and rim protection are so crucial. So if you're a big man, you better be able to do 1/2 of these things or teams won't value you highly. Without stretching the floor or blocking shots, you pretty much hamper your team on both ends of the floor.

Blake Griffin also qualifies for this category but he can get away with it because he's the highest caliber of this type of player and 10x more talented than any of the guys I named.

It was a really good read. U should read it when u get the time.

http://grantland.com/features/the-nbas-bigs-problem/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast