Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Report: NBA could block Kevin Love trade

Report: NBA could block Kevin Love trade if agreement for him to sign long-term in Cleveland is already in place

Brett Pollakoff Aug 8, 2014, 10:39 PM EDT

It’s all but certain that Kevin Love will be traded to the Cavaliers just as soon as the rookie contract signed by Andrew Wiggins allows the deal to go through, but some recently reported details could possibly place the entire thing in jeopardy if it can be proven that an illegal agreement (in terms of the league’s collective bargaining agreement) is already in place.

Both teams have been careful not to say too much, lest the league come down on them with severe consequences for working outside of the rules. But if Love has in fact implicitly agreed to re-sign in Cleveland as has been reported, that may be an issue that the league office has no choice but to address.

From Brian Windhorst and Marc Stein of ESPN.com:

But sources say that the Cavs and Wolves, knowing that league officials are monitoring this transaction closely, have been careful not to make any public acknowledgments that trade details have already been agreed to. That’s because Wiggins remains ineligible to move moved until 30 days pass from the signing his rookie contract.

The Cavs were granted permission last month by Minnesota to speak to Love and his representatives in an introductory fashion, sources say, while James and Love have also been in direct contact about their long-term intentions of playing together in recent weeks. But sources insist that no agreement for Love to sign an extension in Cleveland next summer when he can become a free agent is in place.

Under NBA rules, such an agreement would be illegal and, if proven, potentially could be grounds for the league to block this trade and dole out punishment to both teams. The Wolves were infamously sanctioned heavily in 2000 after it was discovered that the club had promised a lucrative future contract — in writing — to Joe Smith, incurring a fine of $3.5 million and the loss of four first-round picks as well as suspensions for owner Glen Taylor and then-GM Kevin McHale.
    Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports initially reported that “Cleveland is making the deal with Minnesota with a firm agreement Love will opt out of his contract in 2015 and re-sign with the Cavaliers on a five-year, $120 million-plus contract extension.” That’s the point of contention that could potentially allow the league to step in, but good luck proving it in any capacity.

No one’s stupid enough to put something like that in writing this time, and barring a ridiculous out-of-place statement from one of the deal’s principles, no matter what Love’s intentions might be, there will be no way to prove that something was already in place before the trade was executed.
    http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...tter&utm_tags=

Detroit Lions (7-3)
    AAL - Teryl Austin (Defensive Coordinator)

-----
    Detroit Pistons (3-10)
    #MaxMooseMonroe

vCash
    **** block lebroner

Your baby can't do this

vCash
    Chris Paul 2.0

Kind of

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    Chris Paul 2.0

Kind of
    Way weaker grounds than that trade...

This won't happen. I'd bet my life on it.
    I no longer care about anything here except for the Entertainment Forum, which sucks; the Music forum, which sucks; and the Magic forum, which does NOT suck.

Love y'all!

Except for all of y'all.

#FreePablo
    #FreeManRam
    #FreePablo

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    Chris Paul 2.0

Kind of

Next we will hear that he is traded to the clippers

Your baby can't do this

vCash
    I'd be pretty hard to prove the agreement unless it is already in writing.

vCash
    I think it all depends on what Lebron truly wants. Whatever he wants, will happen.

Where are the posters saying that this trade was not convoluted?

vCash
    Not happening...

The league wants this trade to go down, they probably planned it 3yrs ago.

Enjoy Haters
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQkyxNNNefg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImlKH...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by IKnowHoops View Post
    As a rookie Micheal Beasley averaged 13.9pts per game on .472 shooting. Do you know how many times Kobe Bryant or Tracy Mcgrady shot at that percent or better? Never in there whole careers. If Beas can be what he was when he was a rookie (he won't hell be better) then the heat are coming away with another steal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dade County View Post
    Not happening...

The league wants this trade to go down, they probably planned it 3yrs ago.
    Yeah...the league conspiring for YEARS to make sure that mighty Cleveland market boons...

I no longer care about anything here except for the Entertainment Forum, which sucks; the Music forum, which sucks; and the Magic forum, which does NOT suck.

Love y'all!

Except for all of y'all.

#FreePablo
    #FreeManRam
    #FreePablo

vCash
    Key word is "could." Almost seems like ESPN is fear mongering here. Are you surprised?

Smoke 'em if you've got 'em

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ManRam View Post
    Yeah...the league conspiring for YEARS to make sure that mighty Cleveland market boons...

I agree except for the eyeroll part. The league wanted this and Lebron to be successful in Cleveland to save his career. I understand your always support of Lebron (because he is a great athlete) but you have to admit that the odds for all of this to happen are past common sense acceptance. Right?

The team to get him with the first overall pick is his hometown (wow) and then he left them high and dry (ok) and then they get 3 out of the next 4 first overall picks to build enough support to get him to come back.

You really think this whole script was coincidence? The Cleveland Market doesn't matter... it is the Lebron market... His market is more important to the NBA in the long run then any big market city.

I do not see how people keep overlooking this.

vCash
    Why did they block CP's trade btw?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FlashBolt View Post
    The league was in control of the team at the time. They felt there were competitive issues involved. Gilbert was among a few owners who urged it be declined. They had the right to decline any trade.

It was the right move. The Lakers package was worse than the Clippers'. Although, Dragic I think would have gone to NO...but that trade would have assured the team missed out on AD.

Love y'all!

Except for all of y'all.

#FreePablo
    #FreeManRam
    #FreePablo

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FlashBolt View Post
    Too much power on one team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ManRam View Post
    The league was in control of the team at the time. They felt there were competitive issues involved. Gilbert was among a few owners who urged it be declined. They had the right to decline any trade.

It was the right move. The Lakers package was worse than the Clippers'. Although, Dragic I think would have gone to NO...but that trade would have assured the team missed out on AD.
    Seems like a common theme that keeps getting recited. He "was" opposed to everything he "is".

It doesn't matter cause he is a billionaire. And I suck.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast