Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

NESN: Marlins "Not Optimistic" about getting an extension done with Giancarlo Stanton

http://nesn.com/2014/08/report-marli...carlo-stanton/

The Miami Marlins have a track record of trading their top players away from the organization. Outfielder Giancarlo Stanton might be the next on the list to depart South Beach for greener pastures. Miami did not trade Stanton before the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline and has been adamant about keeping the All-Star outfielder.

Stanton will not become a free agent until after the 2016 season, but the team said it wants to sign him to a long-term deal. Some within the Marlins organization, though, are not optimistic about signing Stanton to an extension, sources told Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com. Friends close to Stanton say he is looking to play for a team that consistently wins, something the Marlins have not done in recent years. The last time the Marlins posted a winning record (2009), Stanton was playing in the minor leagues. The news could potentially be good for the Boston Red Sox.

Heyman said earlier this week that Boston could make an aggressive push for Stanton. Coupled with newly acquired left fielder Yoenis Cespedes, the Red Sox could have quite the powerful outfield if Stanton were traded to Boston. If Stanton does hit the trade market in the offseason, expect teams in need of an outfielder to make a huge push. Itís not a every day a player of Stantonís caliber hits the market. Thus far in 2014, Stanton has a league-leading 27 home runs and a lofty .935 OPS.
    Wouldn't expect him to be on the block this offseason, perhaps closer to 2017 when he is a FA, but if he is, a king's ransom is to be expected in trade.

vCash
    Love to get him.
    But you are looking at DarNo and Thor to start.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    Darno/Thor/Nimmo?
    Go Grab My Belt

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    Darno/Thor/Nimmo?
    If that is all it took, then I would gladly do it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    If that is all it took, then I would gladly do it.
    Me too.

I'm guessing it would also take at least 1 more top prospect. Might take Matz or even deGrom added into that mix.

I'd probably still do it.
    Go Grab My Belt

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    Darno/Thor/Nimmo?
    I'd do that in a fartbeat.

vCash
    "Friends close to Stanton say he is looking to play for a team that consistently wins..."

If that's his rationale for not wanting to sign long-term in MIA, then why would he sign here long-term?

Don't get me wrong, he's one of the few players I'd give up a package centered around Thor for, but not unless there's an agreement in principle on a long-term deal beforehand; I don't want to trade Thor for him, only to have him walk as a FA.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fire Collins View Post
    "Friends close to Stanton say he is looking to play for a team that consistently wins..."

If that's his rationale for not wanting to sign long-term in MIA, then why would he sign here long-term?

Don't get me wrong, he's one of the few players I'd give up a package centered around Thor for, but not unless there's an agreement in principle on a long-term deal beforehand; I don't want to trade Thor for him, only to have him walk as a FA.
    Because the plan is for the Mets to start winning. He would be a big part of that.

vCash
    d'Arnaud, Thor, Nimmo for Stanton? Horrible deal for the Mets. Massive overpay.
    Omar Minaya in 9 Expos/Mets Drafts - 84.6 WAR (Avg 9.4 per class)
    Sandy Alderson in 4 Padres Drafts - 87.1 WAR (Avg 21.8 per class)

-

Terry Collins has destroyed 3 clubhouses on 2 different continents and is now working on #4. Quite possibly the worst manager in Major League History.

Put this idiot into a cannon and fire him into the East River.

vCash
    Thinking the Red Sox land him and wondering if the Cubbies will make their move.

Meanwhile, Sandy is still holding his cards at the table and looking for tells besides others rolling their eyes. "Just fold Sandy".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WrightStuff82 View Post
    d'Arnaud, Thor, Nimmo for Stanton? Horrible deal for the Mets. Massive overpay.
    lol - yeah, perhaps the premier slugger in baseball for three unknowns. Pass on that deal. Keep the unknowns.

vCash
    I think it's a dreadful deal for us. Sorry you disagree, don't know what to tell you. He's a below average defender which saps some of his bat value. He's a great 6 WAR player, no doubt. But I'm not giving away a 3 WAR catcher we just spent a year developing at the ML level + an TORP guy in Thor + an OBP monster in Nimmo.

No thanks. Bad deal.

-

Terry Collins has destroyed 3 clubhouses on 2 different continents and is now working on #4. Quite possibly the worst manager in Major League History.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WrightStuff82 View Post
    I think it's a dreadful deal for us. Sorry you disagree, don't know what to tell you. He's a below average defender which saps some of his bat value. He's a great 6 WAR player, no doubt. But I'm not giving away a 3 WAR catcher we just spent a year developing at the ML level + an TORP guy in Thor + an OBP monster in Nimmo.

No thanks. Bad deal.
    says the same guy who spent 6 months telling us how chris young was the greatest signing ever

vCash
    Says the same guy who spent 6 months telling us how we should sign Stephen Drew and Kendrys Morales.

We can't get em all right can we bud?

-

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by utl768 View Post
    says the same guy who spent 6 months telling us how chris young was the greatest signing ever

Go figure. Pass on Stanton for a catcher still looking to prove himself and two unknowns. Amazing

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast