Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Robertson: “This offseason I probably would have gone for a discount”

Robertson: “This offseason I probably would have gone for a discount”

By Michael Axisa

Via George King: David Robertson said he would have been open to signing an extension at a discount last offseason, but will now be looking for a market value deal as a free agent this winter. “It would have to be a legit offer at this point of the year. This offseason I probably would have gone for a discount, although I wasn’t a closer,” he said. “It’s not like I don’t like playing here, but I have to do what’s best for me.”

Robertson also confirmed the two sides still have not had any extension talks. The 29-year-old has been dynamite in his first season as the team’s closer, going 31-for-33 in save chances with a 2.62 ERA (1.97 FIP) and a 39.7% strikeout rate. Robertson’s in line for something like $10-12M per year over three or four years at this point. I think the Yankees will make Robertson a qualifying offer after the season ($15M or so), and if he accepts, they’ll have an elite reliever on an expensive one-year deal. I am on team #ExtendDRob and hope they work something out soon.
    http://riveraveblues.com/2014/08/robertson-offseason-probably-gone-discount-107304/

Probably could have locked him up for ~$8M AAV. Now his price is anywhere from $10M - $14M AAV.
    Yankees - Jets - Rockets

He better be re signed regardless

I am a bit annoyed that they extended Gardy but not Robertson. They need to start doing a better job with this kind of stuff.

We got his prime years for dirt cheap... let him go and let Dellin close... this could be Rivera/Wettland all over again.

Bullpen guys are hit or miss most of the time anyway.

What does 3 years of Robertson cost? 30? 36?

Papelbon makes 12.5M/yr
    Nathan signed for 10.0M/yr
    Mo was getting, what, 15M/yr on 1 year deals

I don't blame the guy for saying what he did. He has earned himself a nice paycheck and the Yankees will pay him. We have had a solid closer for 20 years now from Wettland - Rivera - Robertson no need to stop now. Well Mo is the goat at closing.
    http://www.logo-designer.co/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Real-Madrid-football-club-logo-design-branding-identity-Ruben-Ferlo.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    We got his prime years for dirt cheap... let him go and let Dellin close... this could be Rivera/Wettland all over again.

Bullpen guys are hit or miss most of the time anyway.
    Normal/average bullpen guys are hit or miss. Consistently elite and durable relievers such as Robertson aren't.
    Yankees - Jets - Rockets

Quote Originally Posted by RCSownsU View Post
    I am a bit annoyed that they extended Gardy but not Robertson. They need to start doing a better job with this kind of stuff.
    They should have extended him, but didn't. At least they extended Brett. Given his new found power he'd cost more this offseason as well.

Do the QO. If he leaves, he leaves. Relievers are a dime a dozen and Dellin is better anyway.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

I wouldn't do the QO unless he makes a ridiculous demand and it's clear they're not going to sign him and they need to do it to get the draft pick.

The QO this year will probably be between 16-17M. You could probably get 3 years of Robertson for less than half that.

Quote Originally Posted by theslick1 View Post
    I wouldn't do the QO unless he makes a ridiculous demand and it's clear they're not going to sign him and they need to do it to get the draft pick.

The QO this year will probably be between 16-17M. You could probably get 3 years of Robertson for less than half that.
    3 years for less than double that? You're not getting 3 years of DRob for 8-9 million.

Quote Originally Posted by Rylinkus View Post
    3 years for less than double that? You're not getting 3 years of DRob for 8-9 million.
    Yikes, yes, that's what I meant.

I'd make a serious effort to retain him. The bullpen has compensated for other areas which can easily still be question marks following the offseason. Betances might make parting ways more acceptable/understandable, but I'd prefer maintaining a strength while trying to mitigate weaknesses.

In an era where offenses are down and runs are at a premium, a shutdown bullpen is an incredible advantage.
    Yankees - Jets - Rockets

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast