Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 241 of 242 FirstFirst ... 141191231239240241242 LastLast
Results 3,601 to 3,615 of 3622
    So the Jays have signed everyone in the top 10 but Conine..... According to the reports, they essentially gave the money from picks 9 and 10 to the guys they drafted in rounds 12 and 13, and the guys in rounds 4,6,7 and 8 all pretty much signed at their slot value. They gave Allgeyer (round 12) and Wilson (round 13) each 125K, which means they count against their pool to sign the top 10 without being penalized. Unless they are going over the 5%, Conine is going to have to sign for WAY under slot value (like around 800K) if they are going to get him.

Quote Originally Posted by bartron_44 View Post
    So the Jays have signed everyone in the top 10 but Conine..... According to the reports, they essentially gave the money from picks 9 and 10 to the guys they drafted in rounds 12 and 13, and the guys in rounds 4,6,7 and 8 all pretty much signed at their slot value. They gave Allgeyer (round 12) and Wilson (round 13) each 125K, which means they count against their pool to sign the top 10 without being penalized. Unless they are going over the 5%, Conine is going to have to sign for WAY under slot value (like around 800K) if they are going to get him.
    When is the cutoff for compensation of unsigned picks. Is it just the first round?

Quote Originally Posted by pebloemer View Post
    When is the cutoff for compensation of unsigned picks. Is it just the first round?
    Its is the first 3 rounds, and the comp rounds after rounds 1, 2 and 3.

Check out the following link in the Compsation pick section for details:

https://www.thecubreporter.com/book/export/html/3551

Its is the first 3 rounds, and the comp rounds after rounds 1, 2 and 3.

Check out the following link in the Compsation pick section for details:

https://www.thecubreporter.com/book/export/html/3551
    Thanks.

So they'll get to make a selection next year if they fail to sign Conine.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...ichette-biggio
    Three players on his New Hampshire roster this summer have surnames that ring a bell. Third baseman Vladimir Guerrero Jr., the son of the newly minted Hall of Fame outfielder, is widely regarded as baseball's top prospect now that the Atlanta Braves have summoned Ronald Acuna Jr. from the minors. Shortstop Bo Bichette, Dante's boy, is a baseball rat who is tearing it up after a slow start. And second baseman Cavan Biggio, son of Craig, is moving up the prospect charts as a left-handed power bat.
    In terms of makeup and demeanor, Toronto's baseball triplets are a disparate group. Guerrero, 19, has a ready smile and a serene, happy-go-lucky aura. Bichette, 20, treats each at-bat, video game standoff or pingpong match as a personal challenge. And Biggio, the most seasoned of the group at age 23, brings wisdom and perspective to the mix. "He's like the chaperone at the teenage party," Schneider said, laughing.

People around the Fisher Cats have noticed an attentiveness to detail beyond the genetically endowed gifts. It's manifested in the way the three players run the bases, or dissect opposing pitchers, or lean over the dugout rail to find evidence of pitch-tipping. Unlike some hereditary traits, baseball acumen doesn't skip a generation.

"We definitely have a bond on and around the field and in the clubhouse," Biggio said. "We all know that what we have is very special and what we've been through is very special. It's three different backgrounds that are all the same."
    Guerrero:
    Guerrero was hitting .407 with an OPS of 1.124 when the Blue Jays shut him down for four weeks with a strained patellar tendon in his left knee, and Toronto management has received lots of unsolicited advice on the proper course of action for him.

Beyond some internal discussions about moving Guerrero to Triple-A, the Jays have chosen to keep him at Double-A to work on his defense and baserunning while allowing him to play in a winning environment with friends. The big league team is going nowhere, so the Jays are content to stand firm and follow a timetable they deem best for his long-term development.

The bat would play in the majors right now, personnel people agree. Is it possible to give out a grade above 80 on the 20-80 scouts' scale?
    Bichette:
    When Dante Bichette was still playing and he fell behind 0-2 or 1-2 in the count, he would widen out his stance, take a flat-footed approach and shoot the ball to right field. Bo, similarly, will take a big rip until he's down two strikes and then shorten up and concentrate on making contact. He likens his approach to Tiger Woods gripping and ripping in the tee box before displaying a defter, gentler touch around the greens.

Bo Bichette is a throwback who has a profound distaste for striking out.

"I think it's probably the most important thing in baseball, to put the ball in play," he said. "You never know what could happen. I'm not someone who's going to hit 50 homers, so I have to be able to fight up there. A two-strike approach is really important."
    Biggio:
    The power started to come in 2017, and Cavan returned home to Texas last winter and made some alterations with his pre-pitch setup and the positioning of his hands. His 13 homers and .579 slugging percentage in 61 games this season have suddenly raised expectations. He has played second base, third, first and a little outfield in the minors. If he can continue to hit, the Blue Jays could eventually carve out a Marwin Gonzalez-Ben Zobrist-Scott Kingery type role for him with the big club to capitalize on his versatility.

"He's always been a self-taught, self-driven young man," Craig Biggio said. "The only thing I helped with was soft-toss and batting practice. I might say something occasionally, but he's very good at making adjustments and keeping his eyes and ears open. This was all him."
    Full article on ESPN about these guys. It is worth a read.

https://www.tsn.ca/conine-eager-to-c...stem-1.1114194

According to this article by TSN Conine is signing

"Conine is the only notable name from the Jays’ 2018 draft class that remains unsigned, but he says it’s at the point where they’re just working through some details and he expects the deal to get done shortly."
    Last edited by Spiderdan22; 06-16-2018 at 01:26 PM.

You mentioned he'd likely have to sign under-slot right?

Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    You mentioned he'd likely have to sign under-slot right?
    I mentioned that. I don't see how he couldn't with the four 125K contracts they gave out in rounds 11 thru 14. (NOTE: Our 14th rounder John Aeillo was ranked 211 by Milb. He had a rough Junior season so he fell in the draft, but in 2017 he slashed .328/.417/.643 with 20 HR's and 17 2B's in 244 AB's. He played at Wake Forest in a legit conference too so those are not fools gold stats.)

In other news, Ryan Noda is officially looking like the guy who was too good to be playing in Bluefield last year. In June he is now slashing .400/.463/.889 with 7 HR's and 18 RBI's in 12 games, which has his overall season numbers looking better now @ .253/.447/.455 with 8 HR's, 12 doubles and 58 BB's. He does have 57 SO's in just 178 AB's and that number is a bit high, but nothing to be disturbed about with his foolishly high OBP. He has played all 3 OF positions but he has mostly been in LF and at 1B this year. He's a big boy at 6'3 and 210+ lb's, so I think the power he has showed is legit. He also bats from the left side. If he continues to mash I think he could at least end this season in Dunedin.....

Quote Originally Posted by pebloemer View Post
    http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...ichette-biggio

Guerrero:

Bichette:

Biggio:

Full article on ESPN about these guys. It is worth a read.
    Yup, good article. Sometime in 2019 season, I see Guerrero at 3b, Bichette at ss, Biggio our starting 2b. Jansen our starting catcher.

TJ Zeuch has been pitching well at AA of late too:

The Fisher Cats starter (see pitching line above) threw 58 of his 86 pitches for strikes. He got 15 groundball outs and 3 flyball outs. T.J. finished the game with two double plays, three batters swinging at strike three.

The 2016 1st round pick had three innings where he needed less than 10 pitches to retire the side. He needed just 9 pitches to get through the 2nd inning, 7 pitches to get through the 4th inning, 6 pitches to get through the 6th inning. In his last two innings, T.J. Zeuch needed just 11 pitches in the 7th and 8th innings to retire the side.

That is utter dominance.

T.J. Zeuch has now allowed just 2 runs in his last three starts. Including this start, Zuech has gone at least 7.0 innings his last 3 starts. With 51.1 Double-A innings under his belt, T.J. is holding opponents to a .236 batting average and owns a 1.17 WHIP thanks to allowing just 15 walks. He continues to generate a lot of groundball outs, 57.4 GB% since joining the Fisher Cats rotation on May 8th.

His 4.16 FIP and 4.36 xFIP suggest some regression may be around the corner but I think Zeuch will be in Buffalo long before that happens. Overall, T.J. Zeuch owns a record of 8-5 and 3.08 ERA in 14 starts. He has 2 complete games and a shutout. T.J. has walked 24 batters and struck out 51.
    Lots of reasons to follow New Hampshire this year.

http://jaysfromthecouch.com/2018/06/...icks-up-win-8/

On Griffin Conine:

Conine is the only notable name from the Jays’ 2018 draft class that remains unsigned, but he says it’s at the point where they’re just working through some details and he expects the deal to get done shortly.
    Sanders and his front office team made the pick, but it’s now up to director of player development Gil Kim to maximize that talent base over the next couple of years.

There’s even talk the Jays could send Conine to full-season ball in Low-A Lansing, skipping over short-season Vancouver completely, but that’s one of the details being worked through.

“The tools and the talent are obvious,” Kim said. “The passion for the game and the way that we’ve heard that he can analyze and specifically articulate his areas of development are all pretty impressive, and we’re just fortunate to have someone like that in our system.

“Obviously, we have had success with bloodlines, and it’s not by design that we’re drafting sons of big league all-stars, but what is by design is we’re drafting competitors who have aptitude and who have passion and who have work ethic and who are comfortable in their own skin. We’re drafting good makeup guys, and sometimes those things tend to flow together, being in big league clubhouses and being around that atmosphere.”
    At 6-foot-1, 200 pounds, Conine is nearly a carbon-copy of his father, who hit from the right side.

“He’s a tremendous player, physically,” Pollard said. “He’s a unique combination. He’s got tremendous power, he’s got unbelievable bat speed. I think the one thing, for me, that I was always trumpeting is he’s a really good outfielder with a plus arm. I read things talking about how he was just a bat, but he’s a very good defensive baseball player. That part of his game will become more noticed as he gets into professional baseball.”

Pollard’s bias is obvious, but he’s adamant this is a pick that’s going to work out extremely well for the Jays as another name-brand addition to its stable of familiar last names.

“I think he’ll be a fast riser,” Pollard said. “I think they got a steal. That’s the biggest thing. I think they got an absolute steal.”

It’s been a whirlwind year for Conine, and he’s eager to put pen to paper and get to work catching up to the other bloodlines in the pipeline.
    https://www.tsn.ca/conine-eager-to-c...stem-1.1114194
    Last edited by pebloemer; 06-18-2018 at 10:47 AM.

Thanks for sharing bro. Good read.

I like hearing that Conine may skip short season ball and go directly to Lansing when he eventually signs.

From this draft in Vancouver they have (Round taken in brackets):

Sean Wymer (4)
    Christopher Bec (5)
    Nick Podkul (7)
    Nick AllGeyer (12)

Podkul is in the 3 hole and thru his first 3 games he is 5 for 11 with 2 triples, a double, a walk and 2 K's.

In Bluefield (which starts their season today):

Hunter Steinmetz (11)
    Brad Wilson (13)
    John Aiello (14)
    Troy Watson (15)
    Austin Havekost (17)
    Mike Pascoe (24)
    Cre Finfrock (29)

In the GCL (which started the season yesterday with a 12-4 win ):

Josh Groshans (1)
    Addison Barger (6)
    Cal Stevenson (10)
    Troy Squires (23)

Steveneson led off and went 1-3 with 2 BB's. Leonardo Jimenez (our 22nd ranked prospect according to milb) hit 2nd and went 2-4 with a BB. Groshans went 2-5 with a HR out of the 3 hole, and some 18 year old catcher from Venezuela named Gabriel Moreno went 4-5 with 2 HR's out of the 5 slot!! This could be in interesting team to follow..

NOTE: I don't see Kloffenstein assigned anyway yet, but I am assuming he will be in the GCL with Groshans..

So after ~250 AB's between Lansing and Dunedin, Kevin Smith is now slashing 348/.403/.609 with 11 HR's, 4 triples, 25 doubles and 13 SB's (...in 15 attempts). He is hitting .452 over his last 10 games with 4 HR's and a 2B. I would like to see them bring him up to NH when Vladdy goes to AAA. (..or earlier and Biggio can play 1B until he leaves). Let him make the adjustment to that level now so he is ready to be part of the next wave for 2019....

Also, Zeuch dominated over 7 innings again last night giving up just 2 unearned runs with 7 K's and 0 BB's. He didn't get the W as the game went into extras, but he lowered his ERA down to 2.47

So after ~250 AB's between Lansing and Dunedin, Kevin Smith is now slashing 348/.403/.609 with 11 HR's, 4 triples, 25 doubles and 13 SB's (...in 15 attempts). He is hitting .452 over his last 10 games with 4 HR's and a 2B. I would like to see them bring him up to NH when Vladdy goes to AAA. (..or earlier and Biggio can play 1B until he leaves). Let him make the adjustment to that level now so he is ready to be part of the next wave for 2019....

Also, Zeuch dominated over 7 innings again last night giving up just 2 unearned runs with 7 K's and 0 BB's. He didn't get the W as the game went into extras, but he lowered his ERA down to 2.47
    Zeuch is looking like an impact arm. Hard to determine his ceiling, but he is pitching very well and very consistently in AA now. Sounds like he has figured out his changeup this year. Very encouraging.