Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 239 of 241 FirstFirst ... 139189229237238239240241 LastLast
Results 3,571 to 3,585 of 3607
    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    So Bichette is going to 2B, Groshans is going to 3B and Vladdy is going to 1B?

Groshans is a long ways away.....He's a high school kid who likely won't even play full season ball until 2019 or 2020. It's WAY too early to try and determine where he may end up defensively. He has the size to play just about anywhere though. At 6'3 he could be turned into a 1B if needed. With a strong arm and athleticism he could even be moved to a corner OF spot if need be.

So Bichette is going to 2B, Groshans is going to 3B and Vladdy is going to 1B?
    Impossible to say right now. Vladdy is pretty close it seems, so 3B being an optimistic defensive projection (I personally doubt that) and 1B being more realistic IMO is probably fair. I'd be confident penciling him in a future corner infield for a long time and hope his defense at 3B is enough. With Bichette, Groshans or even Warmoth or some of the picks from last year, there is still too much that can happen in their development and the development of the players around them. Some of these guys may never be impact everyday players in the MLB.

Quote Originally Posted by bartron_44 View Post
    Adam Kloffenstein.. 6'5, 243 lb's RHP who can run it up in the mid 90's at age 18 ....and has apparently already signed for almost 2M over slot..wow. I wonder how much of that extra 2M is coming out of his friend Groshan's pocket?

To me, he is a first round type of talent....and they paid him like one. He could make a solid pairing with the young Pardinho as they rise up through the system if they get to play together.
    I do wonder if they reached on Groshan's because they knew they could sign him for cheaper and then be able to take some bigger swings later down in the draft. I guess we'll see what his number ends up being.

Quote Originally Posted by pebloemer View Post
    I do wonder if they reached on Groshan's because they knew they could sign him for cheaper and then be able to take some bigger swings later down in the draft. I guess we'll see what his number ends up being.
    I think it's clear that was the plan.

Even further, that HAS to be the plan. Unless they plan on punting the rest of the top 10 picks, they need to get at least some of that 2mil surplus from somewhere.

John Aeillo is an interesting name from today. He struggled some this season, but last year he hit .328/.417/.643 with 20 HR's and 17 2B's in 63 games @ Wake Forest. Then he followed that up by hitting .306/.421/.403 in the Cape. Not sure what happened to the switch hitting 3B this year, but if they can get the 2017 version of him at some point he will be a steal in the 14th round.

From the sounds of it, Kloffenstein was getting offers in the first round, but not at his 2.5M self imposed price tag. So it isn't just me (and some other in here) who think he is a first round type of talent. The Jays told him they were going to take him in round 2, but then ended up gambling that no one else was going to come up with the 2.5M he wanted and took him in round 3.

The two kids have known each other since grade 6, are best friends and live down the street from one another. What an incredible story it is that they are now both going to be millionaires who get paid to play baseball for a living by the same major league ball club. I mean; it is a movie that writes itself if they both make it to the show..

I really like how quickly they are talking about signing too. They could both make it to Bluefield of the GCL before the season even starts.

Quote Originally Posted by pebloemer View Post
    Impossible to say right now. Vladdy is pretty close it seems, so 3B being an optimistic defensive projection (I personally doubt that) and 1B being more realistic IMO is probably fair. I'd be confident penciling him in a future corner infield for a long time and hope his defense at 3B is enough. With Bichette, Groshans or even Warmoth or some of the picks from last year, there is still too much that can happen in their development and the development of the players around them. Some of these guys may never be impact everyday players in the MLB.
    I'm sure it's in the back of their mind if they have high hopes for him. Because they have dozens of prospects who will most likely need to move around the infield so I'm sure they already have plans as to where a guy might move. May also explain why Vladdy isn't getting called up. If they think the team will have anotehr guy that is better suited for 3B in like 2-3 years, is it worth developing Vladdy at 3B now when he will probably have to move to like RF or 1B after his rookie or sophomore year.

I don't know much about these draft picks

I'm sure it's in the back of their mind if they have high hopes for him. Because they have dozens of prospects who will most likely need to move around the infield so I'm sure they already have plans as to where a guy might move. May also explain why Vladdy isn't getting called up. If they think the team will have anotehr guy that is better suited for 3B in like 2-3 years, is it worth developing Vladdy at 3B now when he will probably have to move to like RF or 1B after his rookie or sophomore year.
    I agree they have too many guys drafted to possibly have them all play SS. I also agree they have ideas of where else they can likely play. My contention is more that there is too much uncertainty which ones will become everyday MLB players and which ones won't that I don't think they can pencil in now where those players will actually be. The perceived players blocking them, simply may never make it. Most of the names are still too far away to start putting together the puzzle pieces.

I'm not sure I'm following your logic on Guerrero Jr. Your thought is that because they drafted a guy who may be their everyday 3B in 3-5 years, they are delaying bringing him up as a 3rd baseman? Is the thought then that they'll change his position while in AA? I may be misunderstanding, but I think that is very unlikely.

With all the talk about lets promote Vlad....how about some let's promote Cavan Biggio talk? The guy is a left handed hitting second baseman who went to college and is 23 years old. He is destroying AA as well slashing .306/.432/.622 with 13 HR's and 44 RBI's in 55 games. He is also hitting .390/.471/707 against LHP's (so there is no problem there) and .420/.529/.920 with RISP. I think he has earned a promotion to AAA almost as much as Vladdy has. He doesn't have has many hits, but he has more that have left the yard and he has over twice the amount of walks as Vladdy does because he doesn't have the same kind of protection behind him.

The Jays took a catcher predicted to go in the top 5 rounds in the 36th. Kameron Guangorena (...formerly Kameron Ojeda but changed his last name to honor his stepfather apparently) has a commit to go to Cal Sate though, so I doubt he will give that up for 100K. I wonder if they will have any bonus pool money left after getting top 10 guys signed to throw at him. If they can get him that would be 5 guys in the top 104 (as per MLB.com rankings) and 6 in top 143.

They also took a youngster from Puerto Rico who attended the Carlos Beltran Academy in the 38th round named Francisco Ruiz. He's a 6'0, 190 lb athletic C/1B who looks very well put together for an 18 yr old.

Quote Originally Posted by bartron_44 View Post
    With all the talk about lets promote Vlad....how about some let's promote Cavan Biggio talk? The guy is a left handed hitting second baseman who went to college and is 23 years old. He is destroying AA as well slashing .306/.432/.622 with 13 HR's and 44 RBI's in 55 games. He is also hitting .390/.471/707 against LHP's (so there is no problem there) and .420/.529/.920 with RISP. I think he has earned a promotion to AAA almost as much as Vladdy has. He doesn't have has many hits, but he has more that have left the yard and he has over twice the amount of walks as Vladdy does because he doesn't have the same kind of protection behind him.

The Jays took a catcher predicted to go in the top 5 rounds in the 36th. Kameron Guangorena (...formerly Kameron Ojeda but changed his last name to honor his stepfather apparently) has a commit to go to Cal Sate though, so I doubt he will give that up for 100K. I wonder if they will have any bonus pool money left after getting top 10 guys signed to throw at him. If they can get him that would be 5 guys in the top 104 (as per MLB.com rankings) and 6 in top 143.

They also took a youngster from Puerto Rico who attended the Carlos Beltran Academy in the 38th round named Francisco Ruiz. He's a 6'0, 190 lb athletic C/1B who looks very well put together for an 18 yr old.
    I always like your draft takes Bart. In the past you have posted a ' Who has signed ' page. Would you be able to do that again? Regards.... Lansing Dude

Quote Originally Posted by town123 View Post
    I always like your draft takes Bart. In the past you have posted a ' Who has signed ' page. Would you be able to do that again? Regards.... Lansing Dude
    I couldn't wait for him to post it, so here it is

https://www.bluebirdbanter.com/2018/...-signing-table

Looks like town beat me to it.

Nothing too interesting yet..but it does look like we will at least get the 2 kids they took from the same HS in rounds 1 and 3. Bec and Barger have also said they will sign too.

On a different note...I think its time to start paying more attention to their top IFA from last year..Miguel Hiraldo. He started out 0-6 with 2 BB's, but over his last 5 games he has 13 hits, and 7 of them are for extra bases (4 2B's, 1 3B and 2 HR's). That is some impressive pop for a 17 year old.

I am pretty sure he was supposed to be the best hitter in last years' IFA class, and he is playing like it so far slashing .433/.485/.833 so far.. Guess where he plays.. SS/3B.

Also, after a horrific start at the plate for Ryan Noda ( other than walking a tonne) he is starting to catch fire. He homered again tonight to give him HR's in 3 straight games and 5 over his last 10 games with a .353 average over that span.