Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 238 of 241 FirstFirst ... 138188228236237238239240 ... LastLast
Results 3,556 to 3,570 of 3615
    Quote Originally Posted by bartron_44 View Post
    Poppycock. What the heck is the difference? If you can perform, you are developed enough to move along. Kids don't get taught how to lead men in the minors. You do it in the majors. All that "how to be a good teammate" horse crap is just GM talk for..."I don't want to". His most important tool is his bat, and they are hindering him from developing that by keeping him at a level that obviously isn't challenging him.

On a different note, it looks like Diaz should be back to play SS soon. He is now 4 for 10 with 3 doubles in his first 3 rehab games in AA.

Bo Bichette stayed hot last night going 2-5 with his 4th HR of the season. He is now hitting .368 over his last 10 games with 3 HR's, 3 RBI's, 4 BB's and 4 K's. Ever since they put him into the lead off spot he has looked like the guy we saw destroy A ball last year.
    Disagree.

Guys aren't just moved based on how they are performing. They are moved based on how close they are to their max. Guys that are still far from their max might still have some benefit of lower levels since they still have room to grow whereas some guys just are subpar prospects but they are at their max so their evaluation is more if they can handle the upper levels as opposed to see if they can still grow.

Quote Originally Posted by pebloemer View Post
    And baseball reasons choose not to sign for a ton of reasons, do we know why he didn't? It might be ignorance, but I have no clue why he's considered a 'prick.'
    I was joking lol. Obviously didn't like wasting a pick on a guy that didn't sign.

He's here now so let's hope Shapiro doesn't cheap out.

Lol we didn't pick him.

SS Jordan Groshans

Position players going early. I'm a bit disappointed we didn't grab one of the high pitchers that slipped.

Quote Originally Posted by pebloemer View Post
    Position players going early. I'm a bit disappointed we didn't grab one of the high pitchers that slipped.
    I was hoping for a pitcher too. But seems like this guy has raw power. Hopefully turns out to be a good prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    Lol we didn't pick him.

SS Jordan Groshans
    Third year in a row we picked a ss first. Bichette, Warmoth and now Groshans. We needed a stud pitcher or outfielder??

Quote Originally Posted by killersweet View Post
    I was hoping for a pitcher too. But seems like this guy has raw power. Hopefully turns out to be a good prospect.
    It is always hard to evaluate at this stage who is a good or bad pick in baseball because they are often so bloody far away from contributing and we really don't know how the signings are planned. But yah, nothing against the guy they selected, but I was salivating over one of those high end arms that slipped.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie View Post
    Third year in a row we picked a ss first. Bichette, Warmoth and now Groshans. We needed a stud pitcher or outfielder??
    Actually, in 2016 they took Zeuch first and Bichette 2nd (66th overall). This is only the 2nd year in a row...and most people see an eventual move to 3B due to his size (He is 6'4). The Jays think he is another potential middle of the order type of bat though with his mix of contact, power and plate discipline at such a young age.

Hopefully Conine joins the rest of our 2nd generation players quickly. He was voted the best pro prospect in the cape cod league last year after blasting 9 HR's and slashing .329/.406/.537 over 187 PA's in the best wood bat league in the country. He profiles as a left handed power bat who can play RF. He slipped because of early season struggles this year just like Kevin Smith did last year, but then was great in April and May to bring his overall numbers back up. He is still only 20 years old, so he is young for a college draftee. He will be another intriguing name to follow.

I have a feeling we are going to see a number of college senior pitchers taken in the next 8 rounds. They desperately need pitching to go with Pardinho in the lower levels.
    Last edited by bartron_44; 06-05-2018 at 09:23 AM.

I should say that I am enjoying the focus on position players for the system. It is nice to see a large crop of upside that has potential to emerge. Bichette, Guerrero, Warmoth, Smith, Danner, Jansen, Adams, Alford, Tellez and now Groshans and Conine (if they sign). Obviously they won't all reach potential, but there is a lot of opportunity for growth throughout the system.

Organizational pitching is still a huge concern for me though.

Groshans has been well-known on the showcase circuit for some time and has stood out for his right-handed power, very much demonstrated in the videos linked below. Despite this he seems to be lost in the shuffle a little bit when the 2018 draft is discussed or when mock drafts are written. I think that’s a mistake and one that teams themselves aren’t likely to make.

Listed at 6-4, 190, Groshans was born November 10th, 1999. Power is his best raw tool, generally receiving 55-60 grades although that actually might be an under-estimate. He gets to his power in games more often than many young hitters. His pure hitting skills and pitch discipline have reportedly improved this spring and he’s got a chance to be a complete hitter down the line.

Groshans plays shortstop in high school but as a pro he’ll likely move to third base. Like his power, his arm gets 55-60 grades and it should work at third base. His overall athleticism is solid, he runs pretty well, and I think it a good bet that he’ll be an asset at third. His makeup is another positive and with a November birthday he’s not one of the older preps in the class.
    https://www.minorleagueball.com/2018...magnolia-texas

I like hearing that power is his best raw tool and that it actually may need to be graded out above 60. Once he fills out that lanky frame some it should get better too. He's another player they have already seen hit with a wooden bat too.

So Bichette is going to 2B, Groshans is going to 3B and Vladdy is going to 1B?

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    So Bichette is going to 2B, Groshans is going to 3B and Vladdy is going to 1B?
    Ideally. Or Vlad in right.

Our top three picks are all in the top 50. Third rounder already signed for 2.5 million. Hes a teammate of Groshan’s. Forget his name right now but looks intriguing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Powders View Post
    Our top three picks are all in the top 50. Third rounder already signed for 2.5 million. Hes a teammate of Groshan’s. Forget his name right now but looks intriguing.
    Adam Kloffenstein.. 6'5, 243 lb's RHP who can run it up in the mid 90's at age 18 ....and has apparently already signed for almost 2M over slot..wow. I wonder how much of that extra 2M is coming out of his friend Groshan's pocket?

To me, he is a first round type of talent....and they paid him like one. He could make a solid pairing with the young Pardinho as they rise up through the system if they get to play together.