Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 174 of 174 FirstFirst ... 74124164172173174
Results 2,596 to 2,609 of 2609
    It is interesting to me that the conversation around the MLB draft is easily the heaviest after players are taken, but in other sports, the conversation tends to start much earlier. Maybe it is just so hard to even speculate what prospects the team will select (much less have an idea what their potential ceiling might be after 3-5 seasons in the minors). The range of outcomes just seems so wide.

Its probably because like 1500 kids get drafted every year, and there really isn't any point in speculating who you may get before draft day because you really have no idea where each team ranks those players. Or what each teams strategy is heading into that draft.

I think in general people are more concerned about if they will actually sign who they end up drafting in the first round more so than who they will pick because by then there is actually something to talk about. I know that's my take on the mlb draft. Right now you could probably throw out 100 names who we could potentially take with a late first round pick. There just really isn't much point in researching players and getting excited about anyone until they get drafted.

I agree. The mlb draft isn't about who they're gonna pick, it's about who they picked.

Speaking of guys who we have picked...Dan Jansen has now moved into the 3rd spot in the order for NH and went 1-2 with an RBI and a BB. Andrew Guillotte was just promoted to NH as well and in his first game went 3-3 with a 2B and a SB. For some reason they each only played in one game of the DH yesterday..but NH still managed to squeak out a 3-2 win in game two after winning game one 5-2.

Jansen is now 8 for 18 with 4 2B's, 1 BB and 1 SO over his first 5 games in NH. Those glasses really have helped him at the dish. I wonder if his vision problems started after the 2014 season? Regardless, for the season he is now hitting .379/.432/.557 with 5 HR's and 10 doubles...He is looking like a legit 2 way starting catcher prospect and he is 22 years old playing in AA. At 6'2 and 225 lbs we may be just starting to see him tap into his power potential at the plate too... He has quickly surpassed Pentecost and McGuire as the top catching prospect in our system (imo anyway). Pentecost is rarely catching in Dunedin still and McGuire has really struggled at the plate this year. If Jansen keeps going, we may get to see him in September as our new backup.

Speaking of catching, I wouldn't mind seeing us swap Maile for Raffy Lopez too. See if we can catch lightning in a bottle this year like the Red Sox did with Sandy Leon last year. Lopez is now hitting .354/.415/.750 over his first 18 games in Buffalo after hitting .262/.380/.619 in NH. He's a left handed hitter too which is a bonus for us too. Maile can catch, but he can't hit a lick.

In regards to pitching, I wouldn't mind seeing us try promoting John Stilson. Stilson has been throwing multiple innings all season so far, so he is prepared to be another guy who can give you some length out of the bullpen like Tepera has been doing for us so far.

Sweet Merciful...We get Alford up to the bigs, he finally gets his first hit, and then he breaks his left hamate bone in his wrist and goes on the DL......WHO HAS CURSED THIS TEAM?!!!!!!!!!!!

Poor guy. Losing even more development time.....arg

Great. It has reached the minors.

Even if he was healthy I think Jansen still would have passed him on the organizational depth chart for backstops. The kid is having a MONSTER season at the plate and was already a plus defender. Everyone loves Pentecost for his bat (which is also looking very good), but Jansen is looking like he may be even better . He also has about 35 lbs on Pentecost according to milb. (225 lbs vs 191 lbs) He fits the mold of your typical everyday catcher..imo

Since they will likely be in AA together soon, I see Pentecost being shifted to 1B to push or possibly eventually platoon with Tellez. (who is currently 4 for 42 against LHP's this year which is why his numbers are so bad). I imagine he rarely sees a right handed reliever in AAA. I haven't checked, but they have only played 40 games and almost 1/3 of his AB's have come against LHP. If he doesn't figure them out like he did last year he will be starting another season in the minors next year.

Tellez has started every level slowly. I trust he'll figure it out. The only thing that worries me is I fully expect him to start slowly in the ML too, but he doesn't have the defensive value that a pillar had to buy time for him to figure out the bat.

Quote Originally Posted by bartron_44 View Post
    Even if he was healthy I think Jansen still would have passed him on the organizational depth chart for backstops. The kid is having a MONSTER season at the plate and was already a plus defender. Everyone loves Pentecost for his bat (which is also looking very good), but Jansen is looking like he may be even better . He also has about 35 lbs on Pentecost according to milb. (225 lbs vs 191 lbs) He fits the mold of your typical everyday catcher..imo

Since they will likely be in AA together soon, I see Pentecost being shifted to 1B to push or possibly eventually platoon with Tellez. (who is currently 4 for 42 against LHP's this year which is why his numbers are so bad). I imagine he rarely sees a right handed reliever in AAA. I haven't checked, but they have only played 40 games and almost 1/3 of his AB's have come against LHP. If he doesn't figure them out like he did last year he will be starting another season in the minors next year.
    I'd cool it big time on Jansen's defense. There are writers who are claiming that scouts are telling them that his defense is actually below average. Someone said his receiving looked terrible in the AFL last fall, can't remember who. The reason why so few catching prospects pan out is because it is really hard to project defense. Even with the blazing start, there are a lot still claiming that he's a prospect with no real standout tools.

I believe that most scouts are STILL higher on Pentecost due to the louder tools across the board. Emily Walden who writes for BP claims that an opposing team's scout who saw him in Dunedin said that he was still an above-average MLB catcher if he can stay healthy.

Pentecost may still have a higher ceiling, i just said Jansen passed him on the organizational depth chart. One is currently catching everyday, the other is still rarely catching after multiple surgeries...and now playing a level lower.

If reports of Jansen being a "plus defender" are indeed false that would be interesting.. I thought his defence was what had him on the prospect lists the last 2 years while he struggled at the plate...Not saying you're wrong, just not what i thought when i read up on him.

Quote Originally Posted by bartron_44 View Post
    Pentecost may still have a higher ceiling, i just said Jansen passed him on the organizational depth chart. One is currently catching everyday, the other is still rarely catching after multiple surgeries...and now playing a level lower.

If reports of Jansen being a "plus defender" are indeed false that would be interesting.. I thought his defence was what had him on the prospect lists the last 2 years while he struggled at the plate...Not saying you're wrong, just not what i thought when i read up on him.
    Eric Longenhagen (Fangraphs) was asked about Jansen just ~5 days ago and said that he didn't believe that he had an everyday catcher profile. Take low-minors catching "defensive reports" with a grain of salt; the position is so hard to evaluate defensively that its almost useless to conclude that a kid is a "plus defender" already while they are only in ~Low A ball. Jansen could very well prove to be a good defender, I'm just saying that the whole "he's a plus defender" conclusion is way premature and there have been conflicting reports.

The thing that you have to remember about Pentecost is that they are deliberately being very conservative with him; which actually indicates that they still are still VERY high on him. He's not still in Dunedin because "he's not ready", his bat should already be in AA right now as per people who have seen him hit. The reports on his catching have been positive, so again, the fact that he's not catching everyday is actually related to the fact that they want to be medically cautious with him, its not because he's looking bad behind the plate.

Quote Originally Posted by metafour View Post
    Eric Longenhagen (Fangraphs) was asked about Jansen just ~5 days ago and said that he didn't believe that he had an everyday catcher profile. Take low-minors catching "defensive reports" with a grain of salt; the position is so hard to evaluate defensively that its almost useless to conclude that a kid is a "plus defender" already while they are only in ~Low A ball. Jansen could very well prove to be a good defender, I'm just saying that the whole "he's a plus defender" conclusion is way premature and there have been conflicting reports.

The thing that you have to remember about Pentecost is that they are deliberately being very conservative with him; which actually indicates that they still are still VERY high on him. He's not still in Dunedin because "he's not ready", his bat should already be in AA right now as per people who have seen him hit. The reports on his catching have been positive, so again, the fact that he's not catching everyday is actually related to the fact that they want to be medically cautious with him, its not because he's looking bad behind the plate.
    i beg to differ, reports on Pentecost the day he was drafted questioned his ability to remain a catcher. he was seen as a great hitter who caught, not as a catcher who could hit. even in his draft projection he was considered a 2nd division catcher. He drew comparisons to then Pirate catcher Russell Martin who was also considered in his prime as a hit first catcher.

they are being cautious because of his repeated injuries yes, but also because since he has been injured he needs the reps as a catcher to make him passable behind the plate. in a way he's the opposite of Reese McGuire, an excellent receiver who has questionable hitting ability, while pentecost has great hitting skills but needs refinement as a catcher.. thats not to say he cant develop, but his injuries have kept him from getting the reps he needs.

even with his injuries there's little doubt that he can hit, even now at the Major league level, the Jays just havent given up on their original hope that he can be an average catcher with a great hit tool....the fact that pentecost is not catching everyday IS confusing because he needs the reps.....if the issue is health related as you suggest and it might be, then that IS a very bad sign, because he still needs those reps and at 24 he's getting close to the Age where he's a failed prospect.... and that is concerning. Those reps and experience as a catcher cannot come in practice or by coaching alone......he needs the in game reps.

There comes a point where you cant baby him. he'll either stay healthy or he wont but you cant wait until he's 26 or 27 to start giving him the necessary reps behind the dish.
    Last edited by mikepelfrey; Yesterday at 08:47 PM.