Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 40

Thread: Waivers

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    2,684
    vCash
    1500

    Waivers

    Accordingly to RAB, Gardner passed through waivers. I understand why the Yankees would want to see if they could get him through, but why would no one claim him? What's the downside? Couldn't everyone use him, and he is on a team friendly deal. What am I missing?

    Doesn't it mean that if no one claimed him, no one wants him? And unless the Yanks threw in a ton of cash, does this mean no one would trade for him?
    Solarte, oh, oh!
    Solarte, oh, oh, oh, oh!

    [Nel blu, dipinto di blu
    Felice di stare lassł
    Nel biu, dipinto di blu
    Felice di stare lass]

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Meow
    Posts
    31,030
    vCash
    1500
    If a player goes through without getting claimed, that means they can be traded to anyone. No one put a claim on him because there might not be any point, considering there is a very low chance that the Yankees would trade him / let him go.
    Yankees - Jets - Rockets

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    In the clouds
    Posts
    6,296
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Laying Low View Post
    Accordingly to RAB, Gardner passed through waivers. I understand why the Yankees would want to see if they could get him through, but why would no one claim him? What's the downside? Couldn't everyone use him, and he is on a team friendly deal. What am I missing?

    Doesn't it mean that if no one claimed him, no one wants him? And unless the Yanks threw in a ton of cash, does this mean no one would trade for him?
    If anyone claimed him, the Yankees would rescind the waiver. They're not trading Gardner, nor would they let a claiming team have him for nothing (a la Matt Thornton with the Nationals).

    Teams know the Yankees won't trade Gardy.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    11,292
    vCash
    1500
    A player on revocable waivers who is claimed can either be (a) traded to the team that claimed him, if a deal can be worked out, (b) given to the team that claimed him (that team assumes his salary a la Matt Thornton or Alex Rios), or (c) pulled off of waivers and retained. I've heard that teams routinely put a lot of players on revocable waivers, probably just to retain flexibility to make a trade but also to gauge interest in the player. Had Gardner been claimed, the Yankees most certainly would have pulled him off waivers, so that may be why no team claimed him.
    <a href=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/29/Ichiro_Suzuki_on_August_1%2C_2012.jpg/240px-Ichiro_Suzuki_on_August_1%2C_2012.jpg target=_blank>http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._1%2C_2012.jpg</a>

    BA: .282 HR: ONE! RBI: 20 SB: 12 AGE: 40

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The Great Northeast
    Posts
    29,381
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by theslick1 View Post
    A player on revocable waivers who is claimed can either be (a) traded to the team that claimed him, if a deal can be worked out, (b) given to the team that claimed him (that team assumes his salary a la Matt Thornton or Alex Rios), or (c) pulled off of waivers and retained. I've heard that teams routinely put a lot of players on revocable waivers, probably just to retain flexibility to make a trade but also to gauge interest in the player. Had Gardner been claimed, the Yankees most certainly would have pulled him off waivers, so that may be why no team claimed him.
    There's also the belief that if you put a bunch of players on at once, maybe a player you actually want to trade passes through.

    As for why no one claimed Brett, I'd guess most GMs knew there was no point as NY wouldn't trade him.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Creepyville, USA
    Posts
    26,205
    vCash
    1500
    It's because Slappy is so fast, nobody saw him on waivers.


    Swidt?
    Leo's Thought Of The Day


    Message to Hal: SIGN EVERYONE.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    12,715
    vCash
    9209
    lol

    EVERYBODY RELAX, I'M BACK!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Bellingham, WA
    Posts
    14,981
    vCash
    1500
    Lol

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Manhattan NYC
    Posts
    3,844
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by LeoYankee View Post
    It's because Slappy is so fast, nobody saw him on waivers.


    Swidt?
    Your sig

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Creepyville, USA
    Posts
    26,205
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkKnight View Post
    Your sig
    Hehe.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day


    Message to Hal: SIGN EVERYONE.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    2,684
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by nyyfan4life View Post
    If a player goes through without getting claimed, that means they can be traded to anyone. No one put a claim on him because there might not be any point, considering there is a very low chance that the Yankees would trade him / let him go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Decimotox View Post
    If anyone claimed him, the Yankees would rescind the waiver. They're not trading Gardner, nor would they let a claiming team have him for nothing (a la Matt Thornton with the Nationals).

    Teams know the Yankees won't trade Gardy.
    Quote Originally Posted by theslick1 View Post
    A player on revocable waivers who is claimed can either be (a) traded to the team that claimed him, if a deal can be worked out, (b) given to the team that claimed him (that team assumes his salary a la Matt Thornton or Alex Rios), or (c) pulled off of waivers and retained. I've heard that teams routinely put a lot of players on revocable waivers, probably just to retain flexibility to make a trade but also to gauge interest in the player. Had Gardner been claimed, the Yankees most certainly would have pulled him off waivers, so that may be why no team claimed him.
    None of these answer really answer my question. Why wouldn't some team claim him? If they do and he's pulled back, so what? And now, aren't the Yankees better off because the have the flexibility to trade him if they want to? Why wouldn't a team claim him, just to prevent that?


    Quote Originally Posted by LeoYankee View Post
    It's because Slappy is so fast, nobody saw him on waivers.


    Swidt?
    Best answer! Nice.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Meow
    Posts
    31,030
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Laying Low View Post
    None of these answer really answer my question. Why wouldn't some team claim him? If they do and he's pulled back, so what? And now, aren't the Yankees better off because the have the flexibility to trade him if they want to? Why wouldn't a team claim him, just to prevent that?
    ...because some things are, and some things are not...
    Yankees - Jets - Rockets

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,137
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Laying Low View Post
    None of these answer really answer my question. Why wouldn't some team claim him? If they do and he's pulled back, so what? And now, aren't the Yankees better off because the have the flexibility to trade him if they want to? Why wouldn't a team claim him, just to prevent that?




    Best answer! Nice.
    It's hard to say why nobody would claim him. I know that many do get through that you would not expect.. it's possible that the teams that have needs, didn't need an OF'er... and some might be afraid that you could get the player dumped on you (ala Thornton and Randy Myers with SD years ago.)

    Other than that, you would have to ask the GM's for the other 29 teams why they didn't... you may find 5 or 6 different answers and one may be "He was on waivers, damn I didn't see that!"

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,121
    vCash
    1500
    The Yankees should put their entire team on waivers to gauge interest in which teams like which players.

    Better yet, MLB should circulate a face book page with each team hitting the like button on every other team's players whose contracts they'd be willing to absorb. Teams could gauge trade interest and also move a lot of dead wood that way.

    Also, how about this regarding Gardner. Let's say that there is a team that Yankees want to trade with and they want Gardner and the Yankees want one of their players. If both teams somehow clear waivers, then the trade can be made to everyone else's surprise. So Gardner for Stanton (LOL).

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The Great Northeast
    Posts
    29,381
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by nyyfan4life View Post
    ...because some things are, and some things are not...
    Louis CK?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •