Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Waivers

vCash

Waivers

Accordingly to RAB, Gardner passed through waivers. I understand why the Yankees would want to see if they could get him through, but why would no one claim him? What's the downside? Couldn't everyone use him, and he is on a team friendly deal. What am I missing?

Doesn't it mean that if no one claimed him, no one wants him? And unless the Yanks threw in a ton of cash, does this mean no one would trade for him?
    Solarte, oh, oh!
    Solarte, oh, oh, oh, oh!

[Nel blu, dipinto di blu
    Felice di stare lassł
    Nel biu, dipinto di blu
    Felice di stare lass]

vCash
    If a player goes through without getting claimed, that means they can be traded to anyone. No one put a claim on him because there might not be any point, considering there is a very low chance that the Yankees would trade him / let him go.
    Yankees - Jets - Rockets

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Laying Low View Post
    Accordingly to RAB, Gardner passed through waivers. I understand why the Yankees would want to see if they could get him through, but why would no one claim him? What's the downside? Couldn't everyone use him, and he is on a team friendly deal. What am I missing?

Doesn't it mean that if no one claimed him, no one wants him? And unless the Yanks threw in a ton of cash, does this mean no one would trade for him?
    If anyone claimed him, the Yankees would rescind the waiver. They're not trading Gardner, nor would they let a claiming team have him for nothing (a la Matt Thornton with the Nationals).

Teams know the Yankees won't trade Gardy.

vCash
    A player on revocable waivers who is claimed can either be (a) traded to the team that claimed him, if a deal can be worked out, (b) given to the team that claimed him (that team assumes his salary a la Matt Thornton or Alex Rios), or (c) pulled off of waivers and retained. I've heard that teams routinely put a lot of players on revocable waivers, probably just to retain flexibility to make a trade but also to gauge interest in the player. Had Gardner been claimed, the Yankees most certainly would have pulled him off waivers, so that may be why no team claimed him.
    <a href=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/29/Ichiro_Suzuki_on_August_1%2C_2012.jpg/240px-Ichiro_Suzuki_on_August_1%2C_2012.jpg target=_blank>http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._1%2C_2012.jpg</a>

BA: .282 HR: ONE! RBI: 20 SB: 12 AGE: 40

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by theslick1 View Post
    A player on revocable waivers who is claimed can either be (a) traded to the team that claimed him, if a deal can be worked out, (b) given to the team that claimed him (that team assumes his salary a la Matt Thornton or Alex Rios), or (c) pulled off of waivers and retained. I've heard that teams routinely put a lot of players on revocable waivers, probably just to retain flexibility to make a trade but also to gauge interest in the player. Had Gardner been claimed, the Yankees most certainly would have pulled him off waivers, so that may be why no team claimed him.
    There's also the belief that if you put a bunch of players on at once, maybe a player you actually want to trade passes through.

As for why no one claimed Brett, I'd guess most GMs knew there was no point as NY wouldn't trade him.

vCash
    It's because Slappy is so fast, nobody saw him on waivers.

Swidt?
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

Message to Hal: SIGN EVERYONE.

vCash
    lol

EVERYBODY RELAX, I'M BACK!

vCash
    Lol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LeoYankee View Post

Swidt?
    Your sig

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkKnight View Post
    Your sig
    Hehe.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

Message to Hal: SIGN EVERYONE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nyyfan4life View Post
    If a player goes through without getting claimed, that means they can be traded to anyone. No one put a claim on him because there might not be any point, considering there is a very low chance that the Yankees would trade him / let him go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Decimotox View Post
    If anyone claimed him, the Yankees would rescind the waiver. They're not trading Gardner, nor would they let a claiming team have him for nothing (a la Matt Thornton with the Nationals).

Teams know the Yankees won't trade Gardy.
    Quote Originally Posted by theslick1 View Post
    None of these answer really answer my question. Why wouldn't some team claim him? If they do and he's pulled back, so what? And now, aren't the Yankees better off because the have the flexibility to trade him if they want to? Why wouldn't a team claim him, just to prevent that?

Quote Originally Posted by LeoYankee View Post

Swidt?
    Best answer! Nice.

vCash
    None of these answer really answer my question. Why wouldn't some team claim him? If they do and he's pulled back, so what? And now, aren't the Yankees better off because the have the flexibility to trade him if they want to? Why wouldn't a team claim him, just to prevent that?
    ...because some things are, and some things are not...
    Yankees - Jets - Rockets

vCash

Best answer! Nice.
    It's hard to say why nobody would claim him. I know that many do get through that you would not expect.. it's possible that the teams that have needs, didn't need an OF'er... and some might be afraid that you could get the player dumped on you (ala Thornton and Randy Myers with SD years ago.)

Other than that, you would have to ask the GM's for the other 29 teams why they didn't... you may find 5 or 6 different answers and one may be "He was on waivers, damn I didn't see that!"

vCash
    The Yankees should put their entire team on waivers to gauge interest in which teams like which players.

Better yet, MLB should circulate a face book page with each team hitting the like button on every other team's players whose contracts they'd be willing to absorb. Teams could gauge trade interest and also move a lot of dead wood that way.

Also, how about this regarding Gardner. Let's say that there is a team that Yankees want to trade with and they want Gardner and the Yankees want one of their players. If both teams somehow clear waivers, then the trade can be made to everyone else's surprise. So Gardner for Stanton (LOL).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nyyfan4life View Post
    ...because some things are, and some things are not...
    Louis CK?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast