Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Cashman -Girardi Combo

I feel these guys really don't get enough credit.

What they both did last year with the worst collection of characters I could imagine was nothing short of amazing.

This year, what other team could lose their ENTIRE rotation and the 3/4 hitters for big parts of the year and still be right there for the playoffs?

Picking up Headley, Mcarthy, Capuano, Drew and Prado for NOTHING is a wonderful job.

They deserve more love around here.

Yeah, sure people will whine about the payroll, but that's nothing new. It's the under the radar moves that often make or break a team.

Thoughts?
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

BREAKING NEWS: Sources tell me it's official. We stink.

vCash
    We are thinking the same way. I've been saying for 2 years now. I loved the resigning of Joe and they are only getting better

vCash
    If the Yanks make the post-season, Girardi has to get serious consideration for manager of the year. He's managed the bullpen spectacularly, for the most part, and kept the ship steered in the right direction despite using 30+ pitchers this year and dealing with injuries.
    Yankees - Jets - Rockets

vCash
    Agree that Girardi has really blossomed Into a top tier manager and should be MOY without a doubt if they hang in there.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

BREAKING NEWS: Sources tell me it's official. We stink.

vCash
    I was not a fan of Girardi as manager and was against his re-signing with the team. But I have to begrudgingly give him credit for 2013 and 2014.

A lot of the success is thanks to Cashman's wheeling & dealing but Joe has actually impressed me with his management of the bullpen and his maneuvering around the rotation and injury woes.

In any other year the Yankees would be well outside of the Wild Card race, but Joe and Cash have this team in the hunt this season and deserved recognition for that.
    We’re pointing out that these statistics breed false narratives, and we value the truth. This isn’t about replacing old numbers with new numbers, or attempting to dissuade anyone from enjoying the aesthetics of the game. It is simply about telling the average fan about the reality of what actually happened on the field. The “Holy Trinity” of baseball statistics fail at this most basic task, and so they are not worth deifying any longer. - Dave Cameron

vCash
    I actually agree especially in regards to Girardi, but in fairness, the Cashman detractors could easily ask who should be held responsible for the "worst collection of characters". It's not the greatest observation to make in support of a GM!

vCash
    Girardi IMO is the best manager in MLB.

vCash
    Compare the Yankees to the Rangers, who also lost 4/5 of their starters and sunk to the bottom of the league.
    <a href=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/29/Ichiro_Suzuki_on_August_1%2C_2012.jpg/240px-Ichiro_Suzuki_on_August_1%2C_2012.jpg target=_blank>http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._1%2C_2012.jpg</a>

BA: .269 HR: ONE! RBI: 14 SB: 6 AGE: 40

vCash
    Definitely. Midseason reinforcements might be Cashman's greatest strength.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Renz13 View Post
    Cashman managed to "buy low" on all the midseason guys too.
    <a href=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/29/Ichiro_Suzuki_on_August_1%2C_2012.jpg/240px-Ichiro_Suzuki_on_August_1%2C_2012.jpg target=_blank>http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._1%2C_2012.jpg</a>

vCash
    Girardi has been great.

Cashman has been great with the midseason acquisitions. He also could have put together a decent infield in the offseason and not had to deal any players to make these midseason trades just to make the offense competitive.

I can't give a ton of credit to someone who went into the season with Kelly Johnson and Brian Roberts as everyday players in the first place. It should be a surprise to noone that they didn't produce enough to be everyday players.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TallicaFan87 View Post
    Girardi has been great.

Cashman has been great with the midseason acquisitions. He also could have put together a decent infield in the offseason and not had to deal any players to make these midseason trades just to make the offense competitive.

I can't give a ton of credit to someone who went into the season with Kelly Johnson and Brian Roberts as everyday players in the first place. It should be a surprise to noone that they didn't produce enough to be everyday players.
    The IF guys they picked up at the deadline were probably not available pre-season, and if they were, at nowhere near the prices we paid. The off season IF options were limited.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by theslick1 View Post
    The IF guys they picked up at the deadline were probably not available pre-season, and if they were, at nowhere near the prices we paid. The off season IF options were limited.
    Word.

Headley for Solarte and De Paula? That was never going to happen.

Drew had a draft pick attached to him plus he wanted a long-term deal. The draft pick is infinitely more valuable than Kelly Johnson which is what the Yankees ended up paying.

Prado was one of the main guys Arizona got for Justin Upton plus he was coming off a 2.4 fWAR season. Getting him for just O'Brien was never going to happen either.
    Yankees - Jets - Rockets

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Renz13:28900636
    Poor roster construction in the first place makes it necessary for "midseason reinforcements".

vCash
    I thought they won in 2009 IN SPITE OF Girardi. However, he has turned into a very, very good manager.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast