Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

Those who don't like Sandy Alderson, close your eyes..

http://metsblog.com/metsblog/sandy-a...act-extension/

The Mets and Sandy Alderson appear weeks away from announcing a contract extension beyond his 2015 option, according to columnist David Lennon (Newsday, Aug. 7).

vCash

Those who don't like Sandy Alderson, close your eyes..

Yes <3

If You Ain't Huckin, You Ain't ****in

vCash
    I guess a #4 farm system has it perks.
    Who knew.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    Marc Carig ‏@MarcCarig 1h
    Teammate @DPLennon asks Sandy Alderson whether hes fully invested in finishing the rebuilding of the Mets: http://goo.gl/lGIBws

Mets GM Sandy Alderson intends to bleed blue-and-orange until job is done

Sandy Alderson was not among the three finalists to replace Bud Selig as commissioner when those names leaked out earlier this week.

When I jokingly mentioned the omission to Alderson before last night's game at Nationals Park, he laughed. A few years back, maybe the former Selig lieutenant would have campaigned for the gig. Perhaps Major League Baseball's owners could have benefited from having the hawkish Alderson -- as a wartime consigliere -- for the upcoming labor negotiations in 2016.

But Alderson has a job now, presumably one he enjoys, and the impression here is that it should be only a matter of weeks before some kind of extension is announced. Alderson's original four-year contract expires in October. But he has an option for 2015, and we've always believed the only way he is ever stripped of the GM title is if Alderson chooses to leave Flushing on his own.

Although that's always possible, Alderson sounded Wednesday like someone who wants to stay on to see the Mets become a legitimate contender again -- and that won't be accomplished by the end of this season.
    "The goal is to have a winning team, and a playoff-qualifying team," said Alderson, who refused to comment about his contract status.

What the Mets displayed the past two games against the Nationals was another example of their Jekyll-and-Hyde personality: How one night they can outlast Gio Gonzalez and the next make it look too easy for Doug Fister. Those fluctuations happen in baseball, a sport often dictated by who's on the mound. But the Mets have lacked the consistency to be anything more than a fourth-place team.

The Mets have shown marginal improvement in some areas during Alderson's tenure. But they haven't made the playoffs since 2006, and with the financial belt-tightening at Citi, Alderson can come across as more of an accountant for ownership rather than a GM hell-bent to steer the Mets back to October.

Alderson disagreed with that characterization. In fact, he bristled when we posed the question if he was fully invested in completing the task in Flushing. "Yeah, absolutely," Alderson said. "I'm surprised you're even asking whether that's true or not."

He's less certain, however, when we start trying to pin him down on a timeline. Alderson is 66, so it's not like anyone expects to see him go another decade as the Mets' GM. Half that even seems to be a stretch. But after taking over as custodian during a messy cleanup period at Citi, Alderson must want to hold on for a little ego-flexing. He won't say the number of years he has in mind.

He's been at it a while, and this tedious slog back to respectability has greatly tested the patience of loyal customers who have spent a buck -- or thousands -- in the hope of being entertained by the Mets. Despite the fiscal restraints during this renovation process, Alderson has made progress, even if his original playoff ETA of 2014 was further delayed by Matt Harvey's Tommy John surgery.

Through the maturation of talent Omar Minaya left behind, and trades that netted more pieces along the way, Alderson believes he has pushed the Mets into that last phase. Or the closest thing to it. All that's left is a productive winter, and with the return of Harvey, a no-excuses 2015.

In the final analysis, what would define success for Alderson? Getting the Mets to a World Series? An NL East title? Heck, a .500 season?

"Well, you have to look at in terms of wins and losses," Alderson said, "but you also have to look in terms of the health of the organization." So, by now, he's bleeding blue-and-orange? "Yeah," Alderson said, smiling. "Every night."

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    Best news I've heard all week. I'd give Sandy a lifetime deal if he asked for it. With what he's had to work with, he's been nothing short of phenomenal. Top 5 GM in all of baseball.

vCash
    I figured it was coming since he is not a candidate to he the commish anymore.

The Wilpon's are loyal to guys who are loyal to them and both Phollips and Minaya got extensions so this was expected, for me is better that Sandy stays instead of him leaving and having JP or DePo in charge.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WrightStuff82 View Post
    Best news I've heard all week. I'd give Sandy a lifetime deal if he asked for it. With what he's had to work with, he's been nothing short of phenomenal. Top 5 GM in all of baseball.
    lol - yeah, every GM would have held onto Reyes with their team just playing out the season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Marc Carig ‏@MarcCarig 1h
    Teammate @DPLennon asks Sandy Alderson whether hes fully invested in finishing the rebuilding of the Mets: http://goo.gl/lGIBws
    That paragraphs explains it all, one guy left some good young talent and the other guy traded away some vets to make the farm what it is now and the Mets seem to be at the brink of being a perennial contender. Now you just hope that they make the right moves as far as the vets they bring in to make the team complete and hope that the young talent performs and stays healthy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WrightStuff82 View Post
    Losing is not phenomenal. You can like the direction he is going in but the product has been far from acceptable.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    I figured it was coming since he is not a candidate to he the commish anymore.

The Wilpon's are loyal to guys who are loyal to them and both Phollips and Minaya got extensions so this was expected, for me is better that Sandy stays instead of him leaving and having JP or DePo in charge.
    I don't think DePo was horrible in Los Angeles. The idiots in the media there just ate him alive. He was never given a fair chance. Some of the deals he made for them looked real good after he left.

Definitely prefer him over J.P.

vCash
    Good news. He has built a very good farm system.

Now see your work to its conclusion and bring us back a title.
    Go Grab My Belt

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ManningToTyree View Post
    Losing is not phenomenal. You can like the direction he is going in but the product has been far from acceptable.
    When you are working with $45m-$80m healthy payroll for 4 years, how much winning do you actually expect to occur?

People bashing Alderson for "losing" are missing the boat bigtime. The team is broke, they weren't winning 80 games with a trio of Branch Rickey, Frank Cashen, and Billy Beane running the show.

He's turned the farm system on its head with strong scouting and some very solid moves.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ManningToTyree View Post
    Yeah, the mlb product has not been acceptable at all , but again he did what he was brought in to do and that has allowed the Wilpon's to keep the team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    That paragraphs explains it all, one guy left some good young talent and the other guy traded away some vets to make the farm what it is now and the Mets seem to be at the brink of being a perennial contender. Now you just hope that they make the right moves as far as the vets they bring in to make the team complete and hope that the young talent performs and stays healthy.
    Why do you feel it is necessary to praise or defend Minaya every chance you can? This isn't even a thread about him.

Also, of the 5 Mets prospects in MLB top 100 only one is via a trade, Nimmo, Plawecki, Smith and Conforto were all drafted.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Why do you feel it is necessary to praise or defend Minaya every chance you can? This isn't even a thread about him.

Also, of the 5 Mets prospects in MLB top 100 only one is via a trade, Nimmo, Plawecki, Smith and Conforto were all drafted.
    You bolded the paragraph? Or did I imagined that?

And I said young talent, not top ranked prospects so get that straight.

And I went on to talk about Sandy at length, but it seems your feelings get hurt every time something small is said positive about Minaya.

Now you can make it about Minaya even more of you keep discussing him, or just let the hurt feelings go and just continue discussing the deal Sandy will get and keep the topic there.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast