Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 69
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    28,433
    vCash
    1500

    Chris Young may have just 1 week left before Mets pull plug

    Chris Young may have just 1 week left before Mets pull plug

    WASHINGTON — Chris Young escaped receiving a pink slip earlier this week, but the Mets still may unload the underperforming outfielder.

    Bobby Abreu was designated for assignment Monday, at which time there were indications the Mets would revisit Young’s situation in the ensuing 7-10 days, according to an industry source.

    Releasing Young would put the Mets in position to promote Matt den Dekker from Triple-A Las Vegas to see if he can handle playing on a regular basis in the majors before September call-ups.

    Den Dekker entered Wednesday leading the Pacific Coast League with a .331 batting average.
    Kirk Nieuwenhuis, who went 0-for-3 in Wednesday’s 7-1 loss to the Nationals, was promoted to replace Abreu because the Mets wanted a player comfortable coming off the bench. Den Dekker is viewed as more of an everyday option.

    Young, who signed a one-year deal worth $7.25 million with the Mets last offseason, is batting .206 with eight homers and 28 RBIs after flying out in the ninth as a pinch hitter for Nieuwenhuis.
    http://nypost.com/2014/08/07/chris-y...-shaky-ground/


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    925
    vCash
    1500
    isn't Puma the guy that the Mets boycotted? While it would be nice for him to be correct, I rather doubt that he would have any insight into the clubhouse or FO...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    6,893
    vCash
    1500
    It was one day they told him not to come into the clubhouse. Puma is connected. He's actually the only Mets beat writer who isn't a pompous a-hole. He's fun on twitter with a great sense of humor and can poke fun at himself. I like him. The rest of the beat writers are humorless windbags.
    Last edited by WrightStuff82; 08-07-2014 at 08:53 AM.
    Omar Minaya in 9 Expos/Mets Drafts - 84.6 WAR (Avg 9.4 per class)
    Sandy Alderson in 4 Padres Drafts - 87.1 WAR (Avg 21.8 per class)

    -

    Terry Collins has destroyed 3 clubhouses on 2 different continents and is now working on #4. Quite possibly the worst manager in Major League History.

    Put this idiot into a cannon and fire him into the East River.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    15,501
    vCash
    1500
    Wow, look at how far this organization has come in a mere 4 years under the wise tutelage of Sandy and Jeff! With more than a month left in the season (and thus on his deal), they are actually considering cutting a highly paid player who has been nothing but useless to them all season. That's incredible. We're really "turning the corner" now.
    Sandy Alderson says Mets' 2014 payroll will be more than $87 million
    (11/19/2013)

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Alderson
    Payroll is $85 million this year. It was $85 million last year.
    (05/27/14)

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Alderson
    I don't think we're that far away.
    (6 games under .500 before June. Not that far away from what?)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    6,893
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by StoicSentry View Post
    Wow, look at how far this organization has come in a mere 4 years under the wise tutelage of Sandy and Jeff! With more than a month left in the season (and thus on his deal), they are actually considering cutting a highly paid player who has been nothing but useless to them all season. That's incredible. We're really "turning the corner" now.
    SS, you might be my favorite poster here. I just want to say thank you and I appreciate your contributions to the forum.
    Omar Minaya in 9 Expos/Mets Drafts - 84.6 WAR (Avg 9.4 per class)
    Sandy Alderson in 4 Padres Drafts - 87.1 WAR (Avg 21.8 per class)

    -

    Terry Collins has destroyed 3 clubhouses on 2 different continents and is now working on #4. Quite possibly the worst manager in Major League History.

    Put this idiot into a cannon and fire him into the East River.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    15,501
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by WrightStuff82 View Post
    SS, you might be my favorite poster here. I just want to say thank you and I appreciate your contributions to the forum.
    Happy to help, my friend.
    Sandy Alderson says Mets' 2014 payroll will be more than $87 million
    (11/19/2013)

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Alderson
    Payroll is $85 million this year. It was $85 million last year.
    (05/27/14)

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Alderson
    I don't think we're that far away.
    (6 games under .500 before June. Not that far away from what?)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    @MattHunt22
    Posts
    6,317
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by WrightStuff82 View Post
    It was one day they told him not to come into the clubhouse. Puma is connected. He's actually the only Mets beat writer who isn't a pompous a-hole. He's fun on twitter with a great sense of humor and can poke fun at himself. I like him. The rest of the beat writers are humorless windbags.
    I like Adam Rubin, definitely shows humor on twitter


    If You Ain't Huckin, You Ain't ****in

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    7,214
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by StoicSentry View Post
    Wow, look at how far this organization has come in a mere 4 years under the wise tutelage of Sandy and Jeff! With more than a month left in the season (and thus on his deal), they are actually considering cutting a highly paid player who has been nothing but useless to them all season. That's incredible. We're really "turning the corner" now.
    No kidding. This is Mets news with the annual let's hope next year feel.

    Earlier I posted about the Sox and watch how quickly they rebound. Well, they have Cespedes and a lot of news swirling around Boston about how the Sox feel they have enough to trade for Stanton.

    Keep holding those card Sandy. Keep folding and hoping for a better deal.
    .
    .
    .
    .

    "We have been watching and waiting, but I wouldn't say we intend to continue to do that. I think you watch and wait to try and assess a situation and act accordingly. It might involve more waiting. It might involve moving in one direction or another. We've done plenty of watching and waiting. If we can move in a particular direction, we might do that."

    Sandy Alderson: 2011.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    834
    vCash
    1500
    Not only do we need personnel changes but we also need a manager who can figure out a lineup card.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    21,864
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by NYSPORTS98 View Post
    No kidding. This is Mets news with the annual let's hope next year feel.

    Earlier I posted about the Sox and watch how quickly they rebound. Well, they have Cespedes and a lot of news swirling around Boston about how the Sox feel they have enough to trade for Stanton.

    Keep holding those card Sandy. Keep folding and hoping for a better deal.
    When the Mets have an asset like Lester then they can get a guy like Cespedes in return. You keep talking about the Sox rebounding, except you leave out one really important detail (that they have about a 100 million dollars to spend this offseason with payroll at 80 million bucks to start 2015). Pretty easy to make wholesale changes that way, especially when it's backed by a top 5 farm system.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    28,433
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by NYSPORTS98 View Post
    No kidding. This is Mets news with the annual let's hope next year feel.

    Earlier I posted about the Sox and watch how quickly they rebound. Well, they have Cespedes and a lot of news swirling around Boston about how the Sox feel they have enough to trade for Stanton.

    Keep holding those card Sandy. Keep folding and hoping for a better deal.
    Cepedes is a free agent after next year.


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    7,214
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Cepedes is a free agent after next year.

    and?
    .
    .
    .
    .

    "We have been watching and waiting, but I wouldn't say we intend to continue to do that. I think you watch and wait to try and assess a situation and act accordingly. It might involve more waiting. It might involve moving in one direction or another. We've done plenty of watching and waiting. If we can move in a particular direction, we might do that."

    Sandy Alderson: 2011.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    7,214
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    When the Mets have an asset like Lester then they can get a guy like Cespedes in return. You keep talking about the Sox rebounding, except you leave out one really important detail (that they have about a 100 million dollars to spend this offseason with payroll at 80 million bucks to start 2015). Pretty easy to make wholesale changes that way, especially when it's backed by a top 5 farm system.
    So it's 3 details not 1? The Mets have nobody they can trade like Lester (no package, creativity, nothing), despite the numerous posts about the Wilpon's being financially stable they really aren't and apparently the Mets amazing farm system isn't that all amazing. Meanwhile some believe this team is close to something with Murphy facing free agency at this time next season and Wright another year older. I guess some of us weren't missing anything.
    .
    .
    .
    .

    "We have been watching and waiting, but I wouldn't say we intend to continue to do that. I think you watch and wait to try and assess a situation and act accordingly. It might involve more waiting. It might involve moving in one direction or another. We've done plenty of watching and waiting. If we can move in a particular direction, we might do that."

    Sandy Alderson: 2011.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    21,864
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by NYSPORTS98 View Post
    So it's 3 details not 1? The Mets have nobody they can trade like Lester (no package, creativity, nothing), despite the numerous posts about the Wilpon's being financially stable they really aren't and apparently the Mets amazing farm system isn't that all amazing. Meanwhile some believe this team is close to something with Murphy facing free agency at this time next season and Wright another year older. I guess some of us weren't missing anything.
    No the Mets don't have a guy with Lester's track record, nor a guy who has pitched as well as he has this year. That's what happens when you turn the reigns to mostly high ceiling young pitching with minimal major league roster experience. Harvey would have been worth Cespedes last year but the Mets weren't moving him and perhaps deGrom would have been worth a Cespedes if the Mets had him start the season with the team but neither of those guys are going anywhere. If deGrom keeps pitching the way he has, he's worth more than Yoenis Cespedes.

    Their farm system is among top 5-6 teams in the league according to multiple publications (BA, BP, MLB.com). I think that places it among the upper echelon in baseball.

    You're changing the parameters of your argument again. It's not about the Mets not having the pieces to make a big move, it's about how much payroll flexibility they have in making that move. Something that doesn't inhibit the Red Sox at all. They could add 4 guys making Josh Hamilton's annual salary, tomorrow.
    Last edited by metswon69; 08-07-2014 at 11:15 AM.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    28,433
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by NYSPORTS98 View Post
    and?
    "And" there rebuild is just for 2015?


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •