Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Commissioner Werner?

Tom Werner, the second-largest stakeholder of the Red Sox, made the final cut to become the biggest power broker in baseball.

The 64-year-old Sox chairman is one of three finalists to replace Bud Selig, who is retiring as commissioner of Major League Baseball on Jan. 24, according to a baseball source yesterday familiar with the search selection committee’s recommendations.

USA Today first reported the news late yesterday afternoon.

If Werner were to be named commissioner, he would likely have to sell his ownership stake in the Red Sox. When Selig formally became commissioner in 1998 — he served in an interim role starting in 1992 after the resignation of Fay Vincent — he transferred his ownership of the Milwaukee Brewers to his daughter, Wendy. (The team was sold out of the family in 2005.)

The other two finalists are Rob Manfred, Selig’s No. 2 and the chief operating officer of MLB, and Tim Brosnan, MLB executive vice president of business.

Few expected to see Werner’s name among the finalists — Red Sox CEO and president Larry Lucchino has been talked about more often — but he is a familiar face, as well as an owner. That last fact could wind up helping his candidacy if the owners, just as they did with Selig, are inclined to trust one of their own kind to best represent their interests.

Werner, a New York City native and Harvard graduate, is a successful TV producer who (along with a partner) was behind mega-hits Mork & Mindy, The Cosby Show and That 70’s Show among others. He entered the baseball world in 1990, when he owned the largest partner share in a group that purchased the San Diego Padres.
    Boston Herald

vCash
    http://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/08/0...nt-of-germany/

My stomach sides are hurting. Way too funny and true

vCash
    He's way too soft

vCash
    I'm shocked he's in the running, and really can't imagine him being commissioner. Seriously, can you imagine this clown being commish http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOrxTBRvCHA

I would be very surprised if Manfred didn't get the job.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by -Lavigne43- View Post
    I'm shocked he's in the running, and really can't imagine him being commissioner. Seriously, can you imagine this clown being commish http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOrxTBRvCHA

Lmao does he have Aspergers?

vCash

I was just thinking about his joke of a Red Sox Cheer. He sounds like a kid that has been caught in between puberty and adulthood.

Celts, Sox, Pats, Bruins

#PrayforStanton
    #Wiggins/Parker/Smart

vCash
    I think I saw somewhere that Werner's in the top three because they feel like he has the best chance to bring back some of the audience that has been lost recently.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by B'sCeltsPatsSox View Post
    I think I saw somewhere that Werner's in the top three because they feel like he has the best chance to bring back some of the audience that has been lost recently.
    Agreed. If the game is on pretty even ground (e.g., no big issues to address in the next CBT) then jacking the TV ratings would be their biggest concern. Of the finalists Werner is the guy that can do that. That said, I'll be surprised if it's not Manfred.

vCash
    I don't see Werner as a guy who can do that. He's in charge of NESN, and NESN is utter crap. The only reason anyone would ever turn on NESN is to watch a Red Sox or Bruins game. The Red Sox broadcast is brought down by all their stupid gimmicks, like the dumb polls. He's the guy in Tito's book that wanted sexier looking players to increase tv ratings.

Seems like the biggest reason he has a backing is that Reinsdorf wants an owner to be the next commish, and was unhappy Selig backed someone. Some snippets from an NY times article

Selig formally announced in September that he would step down in January 2015, and Manfred, baseball’s chief operating officer, has been seen as the favorite to succeed him. But Werner’s candidacy has gained some traction in recent weeks as he has received the backing of a small but influential group of owners who are strongly opposed to Manfred and are trying to block his election.

Until recently, the owners opposed to Manfred — the Chicago White Sox’ Jerry Reinsdorf, the Red Sox’ John Henry and the Los Angeles Angels’ Arte Moreno — had largely failed to come up with an alternative candidate.
    But in a twist worthy of Shakespeare, Reinsdorf turned on Selig this year. Reinsdorf told other owners that Selig, who has said that he is not supporting a candidate, should not play a role in picking his successor because he had no ownership in the game going forward and had not been transparent as commissioner. Electing Manfred, Reinsdorf said, would only continue that trend.

Although Selig felt betrayed, Reinsdorf has continued to oppose Manfred. Selig and Reinsdorf will now spend the week trying to outmaneuver each other in a baseball trench war they never thought they would fight.

“The next eight days will be about Bud versus Jerry,” one senior baseball official said. “Bud is dismayed.”
    The Red Sox, Manfred’s supporters say, are opposing his candidacy only because they are trying to gain leverage over him and Selig as they try to get a larger share of profit from their local television contract.

Manfred’s supporters also contend that Werner is trying to gain votes by promising positions to other owners. They said Werner’s supporters had told one of Manfred’s longtime friends that he could have a senior position in the commissioner’s office in exchange for his support.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/07/sp...=tw-share&_r=1

vCash
    I don't see Werner as a guy who can do that. He's in charge of NESN, and NESN is utter crap. The only reason anyone would ever turn on NESN is to watch a Red Sox or Bruins game. The Red Sox broadcast is brought down by all their stupid gimmicks, like the dumb polls. He's the guy in Tito's book that wanted sexier looking players to increase tv ratings.

Seems like the biggest reason he has a backing is that Reinsdorf wants an owner to be the next commish, and was unhappy Selig backed someone. Some snippets from an NY times article

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/07/sp...=tw-share&_r=1
    In whose opinion are the broadcasts brought down? The hardcore baseball guys? Yeah, probably, but they don't NEED the hardcore baseball guy. The hardcore guys won't abandon the broadcasts; they're already hooked. They need the pink hats in Xxxx Nation to watch. If the pink hats need polls and graphics and other stuff that distracts from the game then they'll do it.

vCash

I can never get past the way he was characterized in Francona's book, what a poseur/maroon. It could only help the Sox to get him away from here - plus he can do what John Henry tells him too.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    I can't imagine anyone tunes in so they can vote on what their favorite landmark in America is. It's the incompetent people in charge of NESN that somehow think that enhances the viewing experience for anyone. Compare the NESN and YES broadcasts, minus announcers, and YES is significantly better, it's not even close. NESN's programming, outside of Red Sox and Bruins games, is complete garbage. NESN's strategy is to spend the bare minimum on the channel. CSNNE would get buried if they actually invested money into programming on NESN.

If Werner was commish when MLBN was launched you know his hands would be all over it. With the NESN treatment that channel would have been a disaster instead of the huge success it is now.

vCash
    I can't imagine anyone tunes in so they can vote on what their favorite landmark in America is. It's the incompetent people in charge of NESN that somehow think that enhances the viewing experience for anyone.
    You forgot to mention pop-up facts...

I like knowing that on June 26, 1915 Babe Ruth wore red-striped boxers.

vCash
    I think the commish job is Manfred's to lose right now.
    Favourite Teams:

Boston Red Sox: 63-80, games this week vs. Orioles (3), Royals (4)
    Indianapolis Colts: 0-1, Week 2 vs. Eagles
    Minnesota Timberwolves: New team, hoping for good things this season.
    Ottawa Senators: 37-31-14, season over, free agency begins this week.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by goshhhjosh View Post
    You forgot to mention pop-up facts...

I like knowing that on June 26, 1915 Babe Ruth wore red-striped boxers.
    Thanks for the PR, I own them and the value just jumped from $4k to 4.8k!! Thanks!

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast