Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Speaking of the Hall of Fame

Not wanting to hijack the other HOF thread

As we all know there are far far too many in all these HOFs, with the Rock & Roll one being ridiculous, trust me Robert Johnson was not Rock & Roll (love his stuff but it's blues)

Anyway...

What if this HOF thing was just starting? Yep, the first class will to be inducted next season, we can only have 8 a year. Who belongs on the very first ballot? Do we go with guys like "The Galloping Ghost" knowing full well he played against small slow white guys? How about the AFLers like Lance Alworth? How about the CFL and George Reed? This is the "Pro Football Hall of Fame" not the NFL.

So who is in the very first Pro Football Hall of Fame class? Just 8 allowed.

vCash
    Jim Brown
    Johnny Unitas
    Deacon Jones
    Dick Butkus
    Jerry Rice
    Reggie White
    Lawrence Taylor
    Joe Montana

BloodHawk is Da Man!

Steelers All Time Team

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelCurtain View Post
    Jim Brown
    Johnny Unitas
    Deacon Jones
    Dick Butkus
    Jerry Rice
    Reggie White
    Lawrence Taylor
    Joe Montana

No defensive backs, which is the hardest position to excell at other than QB.

vCash
    Don't see any DB that had as big of an impact on the game as these guys did. You made the 8 man rule......

BloodHawk is Da Man!

Steelers All Time Team

vCash
    2nd Class:

Barry Sanders
    Walter Payton
    Mean Joe Greene
    Dick "Night Train" Lane
    Don Hutson
    Anthony Munoz
    Ronnie Lott
    John Hannah

BloodHawk is Da Man!

Steelers All Time Team

vCash
    Don't see any DB that had as big of an impact on the game as these guys did. You made the 8 man rule......
    How about Emlen Tunnell who had 79 INTS and returned 6 punts/KO's for TD'? Dick "Night Train" Lane...14 INTS in one season.

vCash
    Great players. Not among the 8 best football players ever.....
    Night Train I admire far above Tunnell though. And definitely Lott over Tunnell

BloodHawk is Da Man!

Steelers All Time Team

vCash
    Great players. Not among the 8 best football players ever.....
    Night Train I admire far above Tunnell though. And definitely Lott over Tunnell
    Tunnell set NFL records in INT return yardage which might still be standing. He was a fixture in the pro bowl and was all pro numerous times. But.....how do you argue against Lane and Lott? Then there's Deion.

vCash
    It's an extremely difficult task to attempt to order them. That's why it's nice to somewhat lean on the "experts"

http://top100.nfl.com/all-time-100
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4786953

Tunnell lands 70th in one ranking and 79th in the other.

BloodHawk is Da Man!

Steelers All Time Team

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CCRider View Post
    Tunnell set NFL records in INT return yardage which might still be standing. He was a fixture in the pro bowl and was all pro numerous times. But.....how do you argue against Lane and Lott? Then there's Deion.
    Tough to say on Tunnell as I didn't see him play. He created a lot of turnovers. But those came a LOT easier in his day. His first pro-bowl year the average team had 45 turnovers a season and that dropped to 40 at the end of his career. Ed Reed for example had 18 fewer regular season turnovers for his career, but the NFL averaged just 28 a season then and dropped to 25 last year.

Then figure Ed Reed had another 9 picks and 4 fumble recoveries in the playoffs and Tunnell had 1 fumble recovery for 93 turnovers in his career, Ed forced 90. So Ed had 3.4% fewer turnovers forced in a time when turnovers were 40% less likely to occur. And Ed had 14 TD's and a safety while Emlen had 10. Ed also has 1778 return yards on INT's to Tunnell's 1282.

Not calling Ed Reed a first ballot one, just showing how that could be argued that Tunnell doesn't belong because of his INT numbers alone.

To me, you would need a heck of a lot more of an argument for him. I think that was around a golden age to play corner. Night Train, Jack Butler, Yale Lary, Jack Christiansen, Jimmy Patton, Bobby Dillon... Even a guy like Don Doll... not well known, only played 6 years but had double digit picks in half of them. Sammy Baugh the QB still has records as a DB from that time.

Spec Sanders, the great QB, RB and punter retired due to bad knees, Talked out of it for a year, decided to take it easier on his used up body and just play DB. He had 13 picks that year.
    Last edited by slashsnake; 08-06-2014 at 03:08 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CCRider View Post
    No defensive backs, which is the hardest position to excell at other than QB.
    That's tough. Especially for the older era where you were allowed to be a lot more physical. You had a lot of guys who's position on defense was DB who were known as offensive first guys. Sammy Baugh was good enough to pick off 11 passes at corner in one season. Holds the NFL record still for interceptions in a game with 4.
    Last edited by slashsnake; 08-06-2014 at 03:14 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by slashsnake View Post
    Tough to say on Tunnell as I didn't see him play. He created a lot of turnovers. But those came a LOT easier in his day. His first pro-bowl year the average team had 45 turnovers a season and that dropped to 40 at the end of his career. Ed Reed for example had 18 fewer regular season turnovers for his career, but the NFL averaged just 28 a season then and dropped to 25 last year.

Then figure Ed Reed had another 9 picks and 4 fumble recoveries in the playoffs and Tunnell had 1 fumble recovery for 93 turnovers in his career, Ed forced 90. So Ed had 3.4% fewer turnovers forced in a time when turnovers were 40% less likely to occur. And Ed had 14 TD's and a safety while Emlen had 10. Ed also has 1778 return yards on INT's to Tunnell's 1282.

Not calling Ed Reed a first ballot one, just showing how that could be argued that Tunnell doesn't belong because of his INT numbers alone.

To me, you would need a heck of a lot more of an argument for him. I think that was around a golden age to play corner. Night Train, Jack Butler, Yale Lary, Jack Christiansen, Jimmy Patton, Bobby Dillon... Even a guy like Don Doll... not well known, only played 6 years but had double digit picks in half of them. Sammy Baugh the QB still has records as a DB from that time.

Spec Sanders, the great QB, RB and punter retired due to bad knees, Talked out of it for a year, decided to take it easier on his used up body and just play DB. He had 13 picks that year.

The only real way to ever do this is go with dominance of era, obviously Jim Brown isn't running over these defenders todays.

Tunnell is second on the all time INT list (Paul Krauss) he does still hold the INT return yardage record. That's pretty impressive stuff, now add his kick returner skills. And....he just walked in and asked for a try out.

Obviously Ed Reed is a stud, but you would wanna get all those "oldies" out of the way before ya starting with the more modern players. Few oldies were better at their position than Emlen Tunnell.

Bobby Dillon....wow! haven't seen that name in awhile.

vCash

Good name man. Try to bring him up if I can every once in a while.

vCash
    It's an extremely difficult task to attempt to order them. That's why it's nice to somewhat lean on the "experts"

http://top100.nfl.com/all-time-100
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4786953

Tunnell lands 70th in one ranking and 79th in the other.
    Well if we look at where he is in relationship to the "way back when" guys, hmmmmm?

I do think the pioneers like Baugh and Hutson would have to taken care of first. How could you have a baseball HOF without Babe Ruth?

Tunnell had all those INT's at a time when they didn't throw the ball like they would later on.

Looking at those rankings I have to question....experts.
    Last edited by CCRider; 08-06-2014 at 09:13 PM.

vCash
    That's tough. Especially for the older era where you were allowed to be a lot more physical. You had a lot of guys who's position on defense was DB who were known as offensive first guys. Sammy Baugh was good enough to pick off 11 passes at corner in one season. Holds the NFL record still for interceptions in a game with 4.
    I think he also holds some punting records.

"Slingin' " Sammy would be the first guy I 'd have on my list.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast