Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Injury Prone Players

I've had this discussion for a while in the dodgers forum about Hanley specifically, and Matt Kemp as well, but the players really don't matter, the thing I keep coming back to is how undefined "injury prone" is, is it really thing?
    I haven't really found any good answers for these questions.

How dose a player become injury prone, what is the minimum threshold?

Can a player be an iron man like Prince Fielder is, and become injury prone?

Who decides which players are injury prone?

Can a player ever under any conceivable circumstance stop being injury prone?

vCash
    It seems to me players get labeled injury prone, as a criticism instead of focusing on more tangible things about the players.

vCash
    Mark Prior was injury prone. Same with Kerry Wood. And I don't think it was all Dusty Baker's fault. I think Sandoval on the Giants as well as Scutaro are injury prone.

How often are these guys unable to play due to injury. And more specifically for me, is their injury related to an ongoing issue that really never gets resolved, making them prone to reinjury?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RamOG View Post
    Mark Prior was injury prone. Same with Kerry Wood. And I don't think it was all Dusty Baker's fault. I think Sandoval on the Giants as well as Scutaro are injury prone.

How often are these guys unable to play due to injury. And more specifically for me, is their injury related to an ongoing issue that really never gets resolved, making them prone to reinjury?
    That might not make them injury prone, they just have an injury to their...idk...shoulder lets say.
    Can this be the case with things like Tommy John Surgery, the dodgers have a prospect named Ross Stirpling who had his 2nd TJ this March.

vCash
    Hanley, Kemp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RamOG View Post

Sandoval isnt injury prone. He's been on the DL four times. Half of those times they were due solely because of the way he held his bat which will no longer be a problem because those bones were taken out now.

2010, 2012, and 2014 World Series Champions

vCash
    Injury prone, to me, always meant that the player was very susceptible to future injuries. Or missed several seasons due to a variety of injuries, not reoccurring injuries.

Difficult to define for me, I don't know the literal definition.

vCash
    The injury prone label is thrown around way too much but if every season you expect a player to miss some time with an injury that is when they are injury prone. For example, every year I expect both CarGo and Tulo to miss 20-40 games. There's no reason to why they keep getting hurt it just happens. Griffey way the same way after he left Seattle, you just knew he was going to get hurt.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SFrush90 View Post
    Sandoval isnt injury prone. He's been on the DL four times. Half of those times they were due solely because of the way he held his bat which will no longer be a problem because those bones were taken out now.
    This is what I mean, general disagreement on who would be considered injury prone. If you look at Pablo's career, he's missed a lot of time, but it's not like those past injuries are likely to come back.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Injury prone, to me, always meant that the player was very susceptible to future injuries. Or missed several seasons due to a variety of injuries, not reoccurring injuries.

Difficult to define for me, I don't know the literal definition.
    Then is it fair to label or criticize players as injury prone.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burkey3472 View Post
    The injury prone label is thrown around way too much but if every season you expect a player to miss some time with an injury that is when they are injury prone. For example, every year I expect both CarGo and Tulo to miss 20-40 games. There's no reason to why they keep getting hurt it just happens. Griffey way the same way after he left Seattle, you just knew he was going to get hurt.
    I expect every player to miss time, it would be nice if Mike Trout plays all 162 games, but I don't expect him to, baseball is a grind.
    Kemp basically played every day for 4 years, but now he is supposed to be injury prone I guess.

vCash
    Mark Teixeira is an injury waiting to happen at all times when he's in the field

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangin n Wangin View Post
    Hanley, Kemp.
    How is Hanley injured prone? It's not his fault Cardinal pitchers keep hitting him. Damn those delinquents.

vCash
    Players can be injury prone and not miss time, I feel like there are a few players who seem to be dealing with injuries all the time and don't miss time. For the past 5 or 6 years it seems like Pujols was dealing with plantar fascitis or some kind of knee injury, and he has always had a bad elbow. He broke his wrist at one point, strained his oblique, but seemed to not be out for long periods of time if he went out.

I usually only talk about this with basketball, since the injuries players are dealing with in baseball is less obvious than in basketball, but I think it still holds true.
    "If you find yourself in the majority, rethink your position" - Mark Twain

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    Mark Teixeira is an injury waiting to happen at all times when he's in the field
    He's a past-prime guy at the lowest end of the defensive spectrum. In his prime and early career he was very durable. It's the Yankees fault for paying him that ridiculous contract to watch him get hurt and decline - no whining now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast