3 10.00%
  • Pedro Martinez

5 16.67%
  • Other - Please Specify

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

7th Best Pitcher of All-Time

Just like we are doing with position players, we are also doing pitchers.

Just like in this thread
    http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...3#post28649023

Vote for one player, and nominate someone that isn't on the list that you want to see come up next.

RULES:
    There will be a zero tolerance, one strike policy. If ANY poster is interrupting any of the threads in a negative way, OR causing any problems they're ability to vote will be taken away.
    NO POSTING in your FORUM, VOTE for this GUY. We had problems last time with it and NO POSTING in someone Else's Forum to VOTE for a certain player.

Criteria: Take into account both peak and career play, era dominance, impact on the game of baseball, and how well their style of play and skills would transcend onto different eras. Statistical values, team values, etc all matter. To be more exact, how great they were at playing the game of baseball.
    So while this thread will be a poll, you vote for one player and then Nominate someone who is not on the list that way as the guys in the original list are selected we know who to add on the subsequent list.

For example:

If for #1 you vote Ruth, obviously we will see it in the poll, but don't just vote please, have discussion and include a nomination for who you think should be added to the next ranking on the poll.

For me I might vote Ruth #1, and then say Nominate: Honus Wagner to be on the next poll for the #2 player.

PSD's Top Pitcher of All-Time List:
    1. Walter Johnson
    http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...er-of-All-Time
    2. Randy Johnson
    http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...6#post28712846
    3. Roger Clemens
    4. Greg Maddux
    5. Sandy Koufax
    6. Christy Mathewson
    http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...7#post28888907

Steve Carlton wins this nomination

vCash
    I would vote for Alexander or Grove potentially, but I feel like Seaver should get my vote. He isn't much worse than those two all-time, and if Seaver doesn't get the support, then Nolan Ryan will win this, and he has no business in the top 10.

Nominate: Niekro

vCash
    And for anyone who does vote for Ryan, could you explain why?

For example, why would you vote for him over Bert Blyleven?

vCash
    GCA's numbers are sick.

vCash
    Vote: Grover Cleveland Pete Alexander

Nominate: Carl Hubbell

vCash
    Alexander, add Marichal

vCash
    Opps meant to vote for Alexander

Nominate: Niekro

vCash
    Vote Ryan
    Nominate Marichal

vCash
    I just want one person voting for Ryan, to explain why they are voting for Ryan. Just one

vCash
    Pedro

The PSD's Official Steve Nash Support Crew, Members: R4L

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    I just want one person voting for Ryan, to explain why they are voting for Ryan. Just one
    I watched him pitch for the Angels for many years. I know all this stuff about advanced metrics saying he wasn't what he was, but he actually dominated for years. Besides the no-hitters and one hitters. His stuff was nasty. Not just fastball, but curve and change up. Sandy Koufax had good years ad 5 dominant years. Ryan had that many dominant and yes longevity. 27 years in the bigs is impressive.

5700 strikeout is impressive. Also, the no-hitters (7) and one hitters were impressive.

You asked, I answered. Not going to debate WAR/fWAR- XFIP/ FIP.
    Last edited by RamOG; 08-05-2014 at 02:11 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RamOG View Post
    I watched him pitch for the Angels for many years. I know all this stuff about advanced metrics saying he wasn't what he was, but he actually dominated for years. Forget the no-hitters and one hitters. His stuff was nasty. Not just fastball, but curve and change up. Sandy Koufax had good years ad 5 dominant years. Ryan had that many dominant and yes longevity. 27 years in the bigs is impressive.

5700 strikeout is impressive. Also, the no-hitters (7) and one hitters were impressive.

You asked, I answered. Not going to debate WAR/fWAR- XFIP/ FIP.
    Fair enough, and I appreciate that.

Let me ask then, instead of those metrics.

When you look at his career, and then you look at bert blyleven, do you see a comp?

Blyleven hasn't even been nominated yet

vCash
    I actually loved Blyleven even though he was a Twin. Nastiest curveball for a long time. I just don't see him in the top 10 all time. I may have over valued Ryan, but I really had a hard time between Gibson, Carlton, Ryan, Niekro and Marichal. Feller as well.

vCash
    Cy Young, nominate Niekro.
    With the deepest of regrets I am announcing that I will be leaving Pro Sports Daily. No reason in particular but wanted to thank everyone for a great 6 years here. Lots of great discussion and good poll series as well. Also fun re-drafts. Best of luck to you all in the future.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RamOG View Post
    I actually loved Blyleven even though he was a Twin. Nastiest curveball for a long time. I just don't see him in the top 10 all time. I may have over valued Ryan, but I really had a hard time between Gibson, Carlton, Ryan, Niekro and Marichal. Feller as well.
    I want you to know that I can appreciate your opinion.

I just don't see how Ryan can be ahead of some of these guys on this list. I was born in 83, so I only remember older Ryan. And growing up, I was always told how hard he threw and the stuff he had. But he walked soooo many guys. And he was never actually the best pitcher in baseball any year of his career. He was a workhorse. That has value. Actually a good amount of value. But he has no real peak. He was a strike out pitcher who pitched a very long time (IMO)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast