vCash

Pirates Home Stand: 8/5 - 8/12

Pirates Game Thread

VS

The Line Up

The Rotation

Follow Me On Twitter: @battling_bucs

vCash
    From the lineup and rotation I think you can figure I expect Harrison to replace Alvarez at 3B and Cole to replace Volquez in the rotation. Whether these things happen remain to be seen but thats my best guess s we will see what happens.

vCash
    Regarding this whole Pedro incident I've read quite a few things saying he doesn't have an option left but I think that is incorrect.

Here is a story from Baseball America last year which clearly states that Pedro Alvarez was eligible for a 4th option year.

Now he didn't use the option last year and the article makes it sound like perhaps the 4th option year is a one time shot but I later cam across this older article from Baseball Prospectus. Buried in it is this little tidbit.

Third, disabled list time doesn't count towards a season of service unless it is preceded by at least 60 days on an active list. This means that a player injured for most or all of a season will likely not earn a year of service and is that much more likely to get a fourth option year down the road.

Baseball America's Jim Callis tracked one such case in a column last year. Cleveland reliever Andrew Brown was first added to a 40-man roster at the end of 2002 and optioned down to the minors in 2003, 2004 and 2005. He signed his first professional contract in 1999, so surely he's amassed five seasons of service, right? Nope.

In 1999, Brown was in the Gulf Coast League and didn't get 90 days of service. He missed all of 2000 while rehabbing from Tommy John surgery. In 2001 he was in short-season ball, so again, no 90 days. In 2003, he had bone-chip surgery and was on the disabled list the entire year. In six years of baseball, Brown has amassed just three seasons of service as defined by the option rule. He'll have a fourth option year available to him in 2006 and, just like Correia, if it isn't used next year he'll still have that option in 2007.
    All of this makes it sound like he has a 4th option year to me but no one else believes he does.

vCash
    Cutch to the DL. That sucks. Marte will presumably come off the DL and patrol center for him.

vCash
    Was really hoping he could avoid it but as far as a swap goes, that's about as good as we'll get

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk27 View Post
    Was really hoping he could avoid it but as far as a swap goes, that's about as good as we'll get
    the phillies just put most of thier team on waivers today if no one claims byrd id go after him to aid the bench and maybe keep the run alive for the play offs

vCash
    A right handed OF would be a good pick up now but in the mean time if Harrison is going to start at 3B we need another OF on the roster. Say Andrew Lambo.

vCash
    Marte has been activated for today's game and Pedro Alvarez has been placed on the bereavement list. Its been a tough year for both of those guys.

No word yet on Andrew McCutchen.

vCash
    The Pirates face another LHP tonight. That's going to make constructing a lineup a bit tougher as you don't want Polanco hitting near the top of it and you don't want Walker really in the middle of it nor do you probably want Snider in the lineup at all.

vCash
    Well looking at the AAA lineup if McCutchen is going on the DL today the only person who could possibly be taking his roster spot is Mel Rojas.

vCash
    McCutchen says he has a fractured rib not an oblique strain. Appears as if he isn't going on the DL right now. Still it is probably safe to assume he isn't going to be available the next couple days.

vCash
    Well this is certainly an interesting looking lineup.

Starling Marte, CF
    Jordy Mercer, SS
    Josh Harrison, LF
    Gaby Sanchez, 1B
    Neil Walker, 2B
    Jayson Nix, 3B
    Gregory Polanco, RF
    Chris Stewart, C
    Charlie Morton, P

vCash
    This is kind of surprising. Baseball America did a piece where they had all the big league managers pick the best players per tool. They did a top 3 per league of each tool. Not surprisingly Andrew McCutchen appears five times and Russell Martin cracks the top 3 on NL catcher defense.

One more Pirates crack one of the lists and the result is kind of stunning. According to major league managers the third best fastball in the National League belong to Edinson Volquez. The only two ahead of him are the elite closers Chapman and Kimbrel.

vCash
    Yikes...
    I no longer care about anything here except for the Entertainment Forum, which sucks; the Music forum, which sucks; and the Magic forum, which does NOT suck.

Love y'all!

Except for all of y'all.

#FreePablo
    #FreeManRam
    #FreePablo

vCash
    Pirates..that line up...woof!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast