Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

2015 Roster thread

with the season 2/3rds of the way complete it's time to start thinking about what our team will look like next year. Ages are their age at the beginning of next year.

1. Dee Gordon 2B 26 years old 1st year of Arbitration
    2. Yasiel Puig RF 24 years old 4 years 30.8 million
    3. Adrian Gonzalez 1B 32 year old 4 years 81 million
    4. Hanley Ramirez SS 31 years old 5 years 120 million- we bite the bullett and resign him
    5. Matt Kemp LF 30 years old 5 years 107 million
    6. Joc Pederson CF 22 years old 1 year 500,000
    7. Juan Uribe 3B 36 years old 1 year 6.5 million
    8. AJ Ellis C 34 years old 1 year 3.2 million

C. Tim Fedorwicz- 27 years old 1 year 500,000
    1B/OF Scott Van Slyke- 28 years old 1 year 507,000
    2B/SS/3B/LF- Alex Guerrero 28 years old 3 years 14 million
    OF- Carl Crawford 33 years old 3 years 63.25 million
    2B/SS/3B/LF- Justin Turner 30 years old 2 years 5 million- my best guess

Starting Pitching
    1. Clayton Kershaw-28 years 6 years 193 million
    2. Zack Greinke-31 years old 4 years 102 million
    3. Hyun Ryu Jin- 28 years old 4 years 29.2 million
    4. FA starter someone like Haren but hopefully more productive 10-12 million a year
    5. Zach Lee 23 years old/Chris Reed 24 years old

Long reliever- Jamey Wright 40 years old 1 year 1.8 million- would love to resign him
    LHR- Paco Rodriguez 23 years old 1 year 514,000
    LHR- JP Howell 32 years old 2 years 10.25 million
    RH- Brian Wilson 33 years 1 year 9 million
    RH- Brandon League 32 years 2 years 15 million
    RH- Kenley Jansen 27 years old 1 year 5 million
    RH- Jose Dominguez/Yimi Garcia/Jarret Martin/Pedro Baez

I think we eat the vast majority of Ethiers contract and finally move him with 3 years left on his deal. I also think this is a very competitive team that once again competes to be the best in the NL. Finding a good #4 starter is a key and would allow us to finally give Reed or Lee a shot at starting every fifth day.

vCash
    I would love to pursue Russell Martin to be our catcher next year, I don't think we can live with this production again, unless AJ shows vasts signs of improvement both hitting and throwing out runners.

More than likely we'll sign another fringe starter at our 4/5 starter, but wouldn't it be amazing to have Scherzer as our #3? Of course that ties us up with another long contract that likely won't end well, but it would be a fun 3 years with Kershaw/Greinke/Scherzer/Ryu/Whoever (assuming we get Greinke back after 2015).

The rest of the lineup should remain as put for 2015 and the bench and bullpen look pretty accurate with some other depths guys signed in there when injuries occur.

vCash
    Let Hanley go and sign a top tier pitcher i.e. Scherzer or Lester just in case Grienke bolts after 2015.
    Obviously they won't be able to replace Hanley's production but an huge upgrade at defense should be sufficient.

Sign a C and 1-2 bullpen arms and they are set.

Trade Either and/or Crawford if they receive a "decent" offer. If not, keep just in case someone breaks down.

vCash
    I've been thinking more and more about it lately and I think you've got to re-sign Hanley... his production in the middle of the lineup is too valuable, with AGon ageing and Pederson and Seager likely a few years away from being impact consistent bats. Shift Hanley over to 3B in 2016 when Seager comes up to play SS.

and with Gugs throwing money around left and right (for now) we might be able to re-sign Hanley, sign a catcher, and or sign another top tier pitcher.

vCash
    I was also thinking James Shields might be an excellent slightly cheaper option to fit in the middle of the rotation, actually that idea excites me quite a bit.

vCash
    My thoughts:
    1) I don't see is resigning Hanley, we either give Guerrero a chance at SS or Arruerbera(or however you spell his name). Ultimately I think Guerrero bat plays and to some extant replaces Hanley with about the same defense. in 2016 move either him or Seager to 3rd and the left side of the infield is set.
    2) Sign to stud starters, we have lots of money falling off the books, Bills, Beckett, Haren, Hanley. Go after Lester and Scherzer. Get greedy, but signing those two costs the same as the salary saving from the four dropping.
    3) We do need a catcher, AJ is cooked.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LASportsFan1996 View Post
    I would love to pursue Russell Martin to be our catcher next year, I don't think we can live with this production again, unless AJ shows vasts signs of improvement both hitting and throwing out runners.

More than likely we'll sign another fringe starter at our 4/5 starter, but wouldn't it be amazing to have Scherzer as our #3? Of course that ties us up with another long contract that likely won't end well, but it would be a fun 3 years with Kershaw/Greinke/Scherzer/Ryu/Whoever (assuming we get Greinke back after 2015).

The rest of the lineup should remain as put for 2015 and the bench and bullpen look pretty accurate
    with some other depths guys signed in there when injuries occur.
    I don't see them benching Crawford and his 60 million owed, at least not yet.

I'd be down to bring Kuroda back.

vCash
    Let Hanley go, go after another ace (Sherzer, Lester), get a catcher FFS.

Sherzer/Lester + Martin.

Guerrero at short.

Signing Martin + Joc + rejuvenated Kemp offsets loss of Hanley to a large extent, plus of course whatever we get from short stop.

Let the Yankees overpay Hanley for 6-7 years to decline and break down. We have too many position players who are old making too much scratch as it is.
    Last edited by Artful Dodger; 08-04-2014 at 08:35 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BleedinBlue View Post
    My thoughts:
    1) I don't see is resigning Hanley, we either give Guerrero a chance at SS or Arruerbera(or however you spell his name). Ultimately I think Guerrero bat plays and to some extant replaces Hanley with about the same defense. in 2016 move either him or Seager to 3rd and the left side of the infield is set.
    2) Sign to stud starters, we have lots of money falling off the books, Bills, Beckett, Haren, Hanley. Go after Lester and Scherzer. Get greedy, but signing those two costs the same as the salary saving from the four dropping.
    3) We do need a catcher, AJ is cooked.
    Do you see A. Guerrero being one of the most offensively productive SS in baseball? I don't see him being much better defensively than Hanley, and the dodgers likely don't either, because they signed him almost 6 months before they signed Arrubarruena, if they really believed he would be a better defender than Hanley, they would have had Hanley practicing 2nd in the off season instead, and they wouldn't have bothered signing Arrubarruena.

As far as Arrubarruena's supporters are concerned, I'll just ask this, "if you could trade Hanley straight up for Brandon Crawford or Erick Aybar, trade his production for theirs?" Because Brandon Crawford or Erick Aybar is the upper limit of his offensive production, and their both decent hitters for SS, but their not good hitters, and they are both elite defenders, and that's his UPPER limit, I don't see him ever being like Ian Desmond or someone. Because their is no guarantee that he will be as good as those guys.
    Hell, would you trade Hanleys production for Anderalton Simmons this year? Simmons is hitting .248/.298/.341 with a .292 wOBA and a 77 wRC+. Simmons is with out a doubt the best defensive SS in baseball, but hitting is ****** compared to most other SS.
    This team gets a lot worse without Hanley.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artful Dodger View Post
    Let Hanley go, go after another ace (Sherzer, Lester), get a catcher FFS.

Sherzer/Lester + Martin.

Guerrero at short.

Signing Martin + Joc + rejuvenated Kemp offsets loss of Hanley to a large extent, plus of course whatever we get from short stop.

Let the Yankees overpay Hanley for 6-7 years to decline and break down. We have too many position players who are old making too much scratch as it is.
    Kemp can't be rejuvenated, he's injury prone remember? And there is no way to become uninjury prone.
    Martin's .344 babip probably isn't sustainable, though even if his numbers regress that is still probably better than Ellis at this point.
    Gotta make room for Joc.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post
    I don't see them benching Crawford and his 60 million owed, at least not yet.

I'd be down to bring Kuroda back.
    He's going to have to go on the bench, Joc needs to start in 2015, point blank, end of story.

and people saying to ditch Hanley are nuts

vCash
    Do you see A. Guerrero being one of the most offensively productive SS in baseball? I don't see him being much better defensively than Hanley, and the dodgers likely don't either, because they signed him almost 6 months before they signed Arrubarruena, if they really believed he would be a better defender than Hanley, they would have had Hanley practicing 2nd in the off season instead, and they wouldn't have bothered signing Arrubarruena.

As far as Arrubarruena's supporters are concerned, I'll just ask this, "if you could trade Hanley straight up for Brandon Crawford or Erick Aybar, trade his production for theirs?" Because Brandon Crawford or Erick Aybar is the upper limit of his offensive production, and their both decent hitters for SS, but their not good hitters, and they are both elite defenders, and that's his UPPER limit, I don't see him ever being like Ian Desmond or someone. Because their is no guarantee that he will be as good as those guys.
    Hell, would you trade Hanleys production for Anderalton Simmons this year? Simmons is hitting .248/.298/.341 with a .292 wOBA and a 77 wRC+. Simmons is with out a doubt the best defensive SS in baseball, but hitting is ****** compared to most other SS.
    This team gets a lot worse without Hanley.

Kemp can't be rejuvenated, he's injury prone remember? And there is no way to become uninjury prone.
    Martin's .344 babip probably isn't sustainable, though even if his numbers regress that is still probably better than Ellis at this point.
    Gotta make room for Joc.

Kemp has had injuries, but Ramirez is hurt every other day, PLUS he's already on the books. Big difference.

Make room for Joc? sure, dump Ethier.

Martin is in a different league to Ellis who is an auto out with zero power.

vCash
    He's going to have to go on the bench, Joc needs to start in 2015, point blank, end of story.

and people saying to ditch Hanley are nuts

Hmmm, 3 starters and no close pitching prospects says otherwise. Never mind the ludicrous deal Ramirez is gonna get. Spend Ramirez's money on another ace pitcher.

Kershaw, Greinke, Sherzer, Ryu - goodnight.

vCash
    or we spend it on both?

vCash
    Gotta make room for Joc.
    Kemp isn't injury prone, especially now that he's out of CF. He messed up his labrum going hard into a wall, stupidly played on it and made it worse, then when he got back he didn't run full out and hurt himself stupidly.

I think Kemp is back to being Kemp, the way he's swinging and the way he's hit them are Kemp home-runs, not "i'm hot for a while" or "i got lucky" home-runs, they're the "i'm confident as a hitter and i just killed that ball" home-runs. He may not be fully back but he's like 85/90% right now and that's good, that's pre-mvp kemp and that guy was an easy 280+ 20+ guy.

As for our other guys, some interesting free agents next season, depends on if they go back to their original teams of course.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/0...ee-agents.html

i'd rather jj hardy than hanley.

i say we bring back Kuroda to be out #5

i'm nervous about sherzer, he's 30, he's going to want a lot of years, probably 5-7, most pitchers start breaking down 34/35 and i see sherzer as a power guy more than a "pitcher".

This is how we do it! I still believe

vCash
    or we spend it on both?
    I 'aint paying for that defense.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast