Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Team Direction

vCash

Team Direction

Last year I was critical that the team didn't have a plan, a direction. They weren't real all buyers, nor were they sellers. Nor did they letthe kids play.

I think I was wrong. I think it just wasn't clear to us (or me) what the direction was and is.

I think we learned a few things over the recent months. What have we learned?

1) the farm ... Cashman protected the farm. He did it in a meaningful way. We have lots of guys that others are interested in thanks to good years. But he basically traded 2 talented players with big flaws that he doesn't think will pan out and instead protected many others. E.g. Bryan Mitchel.

2) auditions. buy low on players and let them prove themselves. McCarthy, headley and drew are all auditioning. Sure, maybe they will help this team get to the postseason. But really. They are auditioning for next year.

3). Character. For a while now we knew they valued this. That continues.

4) pitching -- they still prioritize this.

5) flexibility -- they liked this about Solarte and now have it with Drew and prado.

Now,I think we and the FO have three big questions about next year out of their control. Will tanaka be healthy, will CC pitch, and will ARod be back.

But that aside, I think based on the moves, we can make reasonable projections about next year. Here are mine.

1). Young pitchers will likely only be depth, but will get their chances. One will have a chance to lock down a spot at some point in the year. Likely Mitchell or ManBan.

2). I believe they are going to hard after Max or Lester. Maybe both. Definitely both if CC is done.

3) 2 of 3 of the audition ers will be signed for next year.

4). kids are not going to get a shot as position players out of the gate. Prado will play 2nd, and Ref will get a chance mid year. Somewhere. Ref will be the starting 2b position the next year.
    Solarte, oh, oh!
    Solarte, oh, oh, oh, oh!

[Nel blu, dipinto di blu
    Felice di stare lassł
    Nel biu, dipinto di blu
    Felice di stare lass]

vCash
    they still dont have any direction other than patching holes with FA names and acting like they are in it while refusing to sale like this year

vCash
    I'd like to see the Yankees trade with the D'Backs one more time for Gregorious. I think he's a nice player who could play SS quietly well in the years immediately after Jeter. They might still be willing to move him, maybe.

vCash
    Go grab Espinosa since his value has dropped.

Masahiro Tanaka

11-1| 99.2 IP| 10.20 K/9| 1.44 BB/9| 0.90 HR/9| 1.99 ERA| 2.70 FIP| 2.32 xFIP| 2.9 fWAR

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by infernoscurse View Post
    they still dont have any direction other than patching holes with FA names and acting like they are in it while refusing to sale like this year
    See, I disagree. We won't know until the offseason, I suppose. But they are trying not to overcommit long term contracts, and continue to bring in stars, while allowing the kids to come up, and fill gaps by buying low until the kids are ready.

vCash
    I think Plan A, B and C is to turn over as much green as possible. I think they made a terrible miscalculation last season (and seasons leading up to that)by counting on Plan 189, which led to some sad and obvious attempts to save money. This was so blatant, even casual fans were aware of what was going on and saw it was hurting the team.

The need to put butts through the turnstiles and eyes on the screen forbids the Yankees from calling it a season, even with a 9% chance of making the postseason (no clue how they would behave if they were as far back as Boston is now), because they feared that would chase away fans. But, seeing that they wouldn't commit to winning, as opposed to simply failing to concede defeat, fans still saw the fight was futile and stayed away, and the coffers emptied because too many fans didn't give a ****.

When the green eye shades tallied the receipts for 2013 and saw how much they lost from stadium and tv revenue, it was clear Plan 189 was not going to work, and they set about on a new course - the old course- of building from money. They had no other choice. The farm wasn't producing, so they could neither fill from within, nor trade to improve. However, I think so much damage had been done by Plan 189, and the market so thin thanks to the changing nature of the sport, even with the massive outlay for McCann, Ells, and others there was simply no way for the team to complete a rebuild in just one season.

For now, the outfield appears set, as does catcher and the bullpen. They will be anxiously awaiting news on CC, Nova, Pineda and Tanaka, but it seems likely that at least one more big name will join the rotation. Who knows what the ARod plan will be, but expect money to flow for at least one non-1B infielder.

I do believe Cash (if he is still here next season - stay tuned!) remains a prospect hugger. I think he desperately wants to see Nova and Pineda succeed, and probably has Refsnyder penciled in for a 2015 audition. But the Yankees being the Yankees, don't expect anyone on the farm to get an open audition without a vet ready to step in if he stumbles.
    Last edited by misterd; 08-04-2014 at 08:27 AM.

vCash
    I think the plan is to pursue stop gaps to hold things over while we try to develop the farm system. That way, in the future, we can spend money in free agency becaue it makes good sense rather than because we have a desperate need.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Haha View Post
    What I feel right now is like the satisfaction you feel when a highly judgmental, moralistic televangelist gets caught screwing a male hooker.
    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Trill Team

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    I think the plan is to pursue stop gaps to hold things over while we try to develop the farm system. That way, in the future, we can spend money in free agency becaue it makes good sense rather than because we have a desperate need.
    I Agree.

vCash
    I hope we don't splurge on the Scherzer/Lester type guys everyone is calling for. At the end of those contracts we'll be asking for relief just like we are with the older guys now. I'd go after stop gap guys that would require smaller committments - bring back McCarthy, try to land Jorge de la Rosa on a modest FA deal (2-3 years). No, that won't be enough to take this team to the top but we'd keep all our draft picks to keep re-stocking the farm and not lock ourselves into bad deals long term. Lester won't cost a pick so getting him would make some sense, but not Scherzer. I really don't think he's coming here though as I don't see him just chasing the highest contract.

What I feel right now is like the satisfaction you feel when a highly judgmental, moralistic televangelist gets caught screwing a male hooker.

Trill Team

vCash
    I have to say though, a healthy Tanaka/Pineda, re-sign McCarthy and add Lester and the rotation looks pretty sweet...

Tanaka
    Lester
    McCarthy
    Pineda
    Phelps

That's assuming CC is out at least to start the year. That's a really, really good rotation. Of course, health is a huge question mark for Tanaka and Pineda (I'm assuming this Phelps injury isn't bad and just a muscle like Girardi said). Man Ban, Greene, Mitchell would be our top AAA guys so some more depth would be nice but at least there are guys with some upside there.

Keep D-Rob, bring up Lindgrem and the bullpen looks dominant again...

D-Rob
    Betences
    Lindgrem
    Warren
    Thornton
    Kelly
    Jose Ramirez/Esmil Rogers/whoever

That's a really, really good pitching staff IMO. We wouldn't lose a single pick or trade away a single prospect.

Offensively, we'd have some work to do. I'd bring back Drew for SS. He plays strong defense and brings some pop to the bottom of the order. We could go out and get a Hardy, but that's going to cost a pick and I don't want to do that. Bring Headley back so A-Rod can DH a lot and hopefully stay healthy. bring Ref up but have Prado as a fall back plan. Cervelli has played well this year and upped his value so I'd look to deal him for SP depth. Murphy can fill the backup C spot adequately. It's a downgrade, but at a relatively minor position and it could help out the pitching.

I'd break playing time up like this...

C: McCann (120 starts), Murphy (42 starts)
    1B: Teixeira (135 starts), Prado (27 starts)
    2B: Ref (110 starts), Prado (52 starts)
    3B: Headley (127 starts), A-Rod (35 starts)
    SS: Drew (135 starts), Ryan (27 starts)
    LF: Gardner (128 starts), Prado (34 starts)
    CF: Ellsbury (145 starts), Gardner (17 starts)
    RF: Beltran (90 starts), Almonte (50 starts), Prado (22 starts)
    DH: A-Rod (95 starts), Beltran (43 starts), McCann (15 starts)

That lineup once again lacks some middle of the order pop but there's pretty good depth of hitters and I think there would be enough rest to help everyone stay healthy. Defense would be pretty strong overall. Just like with the pitching staff, this would cost no picks at all to put together nor would we have to trade away any prospects.
    Last edited by hugepatsfan; 08-04-2014 at 10:51 AM.

Trill Team

vCash
    ^^ Cervelli is only signed through this year. Not sure how they can move him for "starting pitching depth"

vCash
    Huge,

Your proposed plan

C: McCann (120 starts), Murphy (42 starts)
    1B: Teixeira (135 starts), Prado (27 starts)
    2B: Ref (110 starts), Prado (52 starts)
    3B: Headley (127 starts), A-Rod (35 starts)
    SS: Drew (135 starts), Ryan (27 starts)
    LF: Gardner (128 starts), Prado (34 starts)
    CF: Ellsbury (145 starts), Gardner (17 starts)
    RF: Beltran (90 starts), Almonte (50 starts), Prado (22 starts)
    DH: A-Rod (95 starts), Beltran (43 starts), McCann (15 starts)

seems well thought out and I have often made similar proposals.

I do beleive though that there will be DH starts for Gardner and Ells to keep their legs fresh and especially Texiera, if his wrist, back or leg injuries act up or Headley if his back acts up. plus everything goes out the window if someone isn't healthy enough to play the field, but can hit. I also think that Headley should be considered an option for 1B and we know McCann can be if he's on a hot streak and we want to keep his bat in the lineup.

All this may spell less games for Prado, Ref and / or Almonte.

vCash
    Cervelli isn't a free agent until 2017 - two more years of arbitration, which will be cheap because he's only making $700K right now. I don't expect to move him for a great return. I think we could land someone that's basically looked at the way David Phelps was at the start of this year - ML ready pitcher that can either be the long man or log some innings in the back end of the rotation.

Trill Team

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    Cervelli isn't a free agent until 2017 - two more years of arbitration, which will be cheap because he's only making $700K right now. I don't expect to move him for a great return. I think we could land someone that's basically looked at the way David Phelps was at the start of this year - ML ready pitcher that can either be the long man or log some innings in the back end of the rotation.
    You are correct. My apologies.

vCash
    I think the moves they've been making make a lot of sense. They've shored up the infield and found a veteran starter in McCarthy. The pitching is the real wild card in terms of the kind of year we'll have next year; who's healthy and who can we sign. For all the other problems we've had this year (bad defense and guys under performing in the lineup) if our rotation could've just stayed healthy we'd probably be leading the division right now and on our way to the playoffs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast