Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    vCash

Pros and Cons of International Play

With the recent injury to Paul George, there seems to be a growing sentiment that international play during the off season is something that teams are going to curtail in the future, but so the cons outweigh the pros?

For young players especially, this is a great way to learn how to win. They get to play with the best players (CP3, KD, LBJ, Kobe) and they get to pick up the habits that make these players great and are submerged in a winning culture.

They likewise keep their game sharp and get to work on their shooting, and might even be able to bring something new back to their team, or even bring some plays back that could help the team.

There has been an issue with some players coming back 'out of shape' (I won't name names here), but international play could help keep these guys in game shape and in pique condition.

The con is that they might get injured or be tired, but really, if the player is good he's going to be playing competitive basketball all summer. They will likely work on conditioning and shooting and play competitively only a couple of times a week, but these guys HAVE to play and exercise to stay in the kind of condition that requires them to play at an elite level, and they frankly can just as easily get injured while running as they can while playing basketball. So the risk of injury or getting tired part way through the season seems like balderdash to me.

For me, the pros far outweigh the cons, but I'm curious what everybody else thinks about this.
    What the eye doesn't see and the mind doesn't know, doesn't exist.
    Follow me on Twitter and I'll follow back: @JasonJHorn

vCash
    Players will want to play. A lot consider an Olympic gold medal more prestigious than an NBA chip due to the rarity.

Not much can be done. They want to play.

And I thought about them going back to the non-pro's only thing. Bringing in a big enough audience without the stars would be an issue though.

vCash
    Injuries happen... International ball is a good thing. However, I might want my older players passing up on it for rest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goose17 View Post
    Players will want to play. A lot consider an Olympic gold medal more prestigious than an NBA chip due to the rarity.

Not much can be done. They want to play.

And I thought about them going back to the non-pro's only thing. Bringing in a big enough audience without the stars would be an issue though.
    Can't send boys to play men. This isn't the old days where the rest of the world is really far behind the USA. Our college kids would get killed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrueFan420 View Post
    Can't send boys to play men. This isn't the old days where the rest of the world is really far behind the USA. Our college kids would get killed.
    I actually disagree, it would be more competitive that way and I think the college kids could still compete, especially if no NBA players were playing.

Would be nice to see a non-american country win.

You could always ban ALL professional players from ALL professional leagues.

But again, basketball struggles enough to pull in an audience, removing the stars wouldn't make sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bird
    It doesn't matter who scores the points, it's who can get the ball to the scorer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Jordan
    Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrueFan420 View Post
    or... I suppose you could always limit it to three NBA players (G,F,C) and one professional bench player lol. That way you can have enough stars to attract people but not as many to make it unbalanced. On top of that you wouldn't play the same guys every world cup, that way teams wouldn't have to worry about their players playing international ball every 2-4 years.

Example;

Spain;

G: Ricky Rubio
    G: Sergio Llull
    F: Fernando San Emeterio
    F: Serge Ibaka
    C: Marc Gasol

France;

G: Thomas Heurtel
    G: Charles Kahudi
    F: Nicolas Batum
    F: Boris Diaw
    C: Joakim Noah

Australia;

G: Patty Mills
    G: Dante Exum
    F: ??? (no idea who plays SF for them)
    F: David Anderson
    C: Aron Baynes

Argentina;

G: Pablo Prigioni
    G: Manu Ginobili
    F: ?????
    F: Luis Scola
    C: Juan Pedro Gutiérrez

America;

G: Chris Paul
    G: Wayne Selden?
    F: Kevin Durant
    F: Cliff Alexander?
    C: Dwight Howard

lol...
    It doesn't matter who scores the points, it's who can get the ball to the scorer.

Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    vCash
    or... I suppose you could always limit it to three NBA players (G,F,C) and one professional bench player lol. That way you can have enough stars to attract people but not as many to make it unbalanced. On top of that you wouldn't play the same guys every world cup, that way teams wouldn't have to worry about their players playing international ball every 2-4 years.

Example;

Spain;

G: Ricky Rubio
    G: Sergio Llull
    F: Fernando San Emeterio
    F: Serge Ibaka
    C: Marc Gasol

France;

G: Thomas Heurtel
    G: Charles Kahudi
    F: Nicolas Batum
    F: Boris Diaw
    C: Joakim Noah

Australia;

G: Patty Mills
    G: Dante Exum
    F: ??? (no idea who plays SF for them)
    F: David Anderson
    C: Aron Baynes

Argentina;

G: Pablo Prigioni
    G: Manu Ginobili
    F: ?????
    F: Luis Scola
    C: Juan Pedro Gutiérrez

America;

G: Chris Paul
    G: Wayne Selden?
    F: Kevin Durant
    F: Cliff Alexander?
    C: Dwight Howard

lol...
    What about Canada?

PG: Steve Nash/Corey Joseph
    SG: Andrew Wiggins/Andy Rautins
    SF: Anthony Bennet/Chris Joseph (bring Rick Fox out of retirement)
    PF: Tristan Thompson/Andrew Nicholson
    C: Kelly Olynyk/Samuel Dalembert/Joel Anthony/Robert Scarce
    What the eye doesn't see and the mind doesn't know, doesn't exist.
    Follow me on Twitter and I'll follow back: @JasonJHorn

vCash
    You guys need to go to ESPN and read what Mark Cuban said about the IOC and International play. He has some really good points!

vCash
    you can get injured oing an scrimage or bowling or playing some basket with your friends in the summer.

the real arrangement that needs to be made is the nba season starting MID september in order that the estra weeks mean MORE time between games, no back to backs AT ALL wich means less stress for the players mor rest and less injurys .

vCash
    Pros:
    Shows patriotism. Good for PR.
    Get to play with some of the best players in the NBA.
    Just flat out fun to watch the US dominate in a sport we are the best at.

Cons:
    Basically playing basketball year round, which may take a toll on the body.

What happened to Paul George is very sad, But I don't see it as a gamechanger when it comes to star players participating in International Basketball.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellcrooner View Post
    you can get injured oing an scrimage or bowling or playing some basket with your friends in the summer.

the real arrangement that needs to be made is the nba season starting MID september in order that the estra weeks mean MORE time between games, no back to backs AT ALL wich means less stress for the players mor rest and less injurys .
    Or just shorten the season.

vCash
    Or just shorten the season.
    yeah well if i was comissioner i would eliminate the west-east thing and have every team play every other team 2 times 1 home 1 away ( 58) games and then have top 8 teams regardless of conference make the playoffs.

but im not sure owners would like dropping those 24 games ( 12 at home) and the gates earnings.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    You guys need to go to ESPN and read what Mark Cuban said about the IOC and International play. He has some really good points!
    Cuban is looking at international play through the eyes of a businessman not as a fan of the game. He'd much rather "risk" the college kids "injuries" in an under 21. 21 year olds who most often do not have a guaranteed contract or an insurance policy, than his own investment, which through his point of view is understandable.

Cuban is viewing the players as the owners' investments that they either reaps or misses out on, which international tourneys are the latter. If George breaks his leg in pre-season, the Pacers are still in the same predicament. Fluke injuries can occur anywhere to anyone

International exposure with the best players grows sports, which in turn grows the talent pool and TV broadcasting contracts. That's why soccer is arguably the most viewed and profitable sport, why baseball has created a World Baseball Classic tournament, why hockey has several tournaments year round, from the under 21, Spengler's cup and a couple more. Basketball is in danger of losing their exposure to the other sports, with hockey arguably catching up in ratings and revenue.

Let the players who want to play, play, not have to seek permissions from their teams.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic98 View Post
    Cuban is looking at international play through the eyes of a businessman not as a fan of the game. He'd much rather "risk" the college kids "injuries" in an under 21. 21 year olds who most often do not have a guaranteed contract or an insurance policy, than his own investment, which through his point of view is understandable.

Cuban is viewing the players as the owners' investments that they either reaps or misses out on, which international tourneys are the latter. If George breaks his leg in pre-season, the Pacers are still in the same predicament. Fluke injuries can occur anywhere to anyone

International exposure with the best players grows sports, which in turn grows the talent pool and TV broadcasting contracts. That's why soccer is arguably the most viewed and profitable sport, why baseball has created a World Baseball Classic tournament, why hockey has several tournaments year round, from the under 21, Spengler's cup and a couple more. Basketball is in danger of losing their exposure to the other sports, with hockey arguably catching up in ratings and revenue.

Let the players who want to play, play, not have to seek permissions from their teams.
    Yea he has always been against pro players playing international ball because if the investment they've made in the players (and he has a right to feel that way) however he also mentioned that the NBA should create their own governing body that represents the players when competing internationally. That way the NBA gets the bulk of the money that these games generate instead of the IOC. That could potentially lead to a higher salary cap which would prevent teams like the Pacers from being completely devastated by losing a player like George. Think about it. If there was more money coming in leading to a higher cap maybe the Pacers could have resigned Stephenson. They wouldn't be in the predicament they're in now. Anyways its just a thought. Cuban thinks outside the box on a lot of things and even though it may sound crazy at first he has some really good ideas on how to protect and improve the game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    Thanks for posting the article
    10 Rec, 96 YD, 1TD
    injured.....again

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast