Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Ross to DL (possibly done for season); Butler recalled

Pete Abraham of the Boston Globe reports that the Red Sox have placed catcher David Ross on the 15-day disabled list after rupturing the plantar fascia in his right foot. To take his spot on the roster, the Red Sox called up catcher Dan Butler from Triple-A Pawtucket.

Ross, 37, was making his first start since July 28 and aggravated the injury last night against the Yankees, exiting in the seventh inning. He split time behind the plate with A.J. Pierzynski and, following Pierzynski’s release, Christian Vazquez. Ross has managed a meager .192/.255/.384 slash line with six home runs and 12 RBI in 139 plate appearances.

Butler, 27, has a .227/.306/.338 line with four home runs and 28 RBI in 297 plate appearances with Pawtucket.
    nbcsports.com

According to team sources, it is believed David Ross has ruptured the plantar fascia in his right foot. The injury, which occurred while the catcher was running to first base on a sixth-inning ground out, will most likely land the catcher on the 15-day disabled list.

The rupture is actually a positive development for Ross, who has been dealing with plantar fasciitis for some time. (He believed the injury cropped up after over-compensating for an ankle injury suffered in mid-May.) The only way for the injury to heal is for the tendon to rupture, a reality Ross was introduced when experiencing the injury in 2007.

The healing process for such an injury varies, but typically takes several weeks to recover from.

After the Red Sox‘ 4-3 win over the Yankees, manager John Farrell was non-committal regarding the injury.

“We’€™ll evaluate him tomorrow. Looks like he’€™s got some pain in that plantar fascia tendon,” Farrell said. “We’€™ll take a look at him tomorrow to make any determination at that point.”

Ross said after aggravating the injury July 22 that he was hoping such an occurrence would take place at some point as to start the healing process.

‘€œIn the offseason I ruptured it and that’€™€s what they do when they do surgery, they just go in and cut it,’€¯ he said after that game in Toronto. ‘€œSo I ruptured it and it hasn’€™t been a problem since. I was running today with the intent of letting that thing blow out. It would feel a lot better if it would.’€¯

Dan Butler, who is on the Red Sox‘€™ 40-man roster, was pulled from the Pawtucket Red Sox‘€™ game Friday night. It is likely that the 27-year-old will replace Ross on the active roster.
    weei.com

vCash
    I think we should finally give Lavarnway a chance to catch once he's healthy again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavelb1 View Post
    The only thing that could hurt Beltre would be a Beltre clone...or a poison arrow to his Achilles Testicles.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by redsox96 View Post
    I think we should finally give Lavarnway a chance to catch once he's healthy again.
    Lavarnway is a DFA candidate.

vCash
    Well Vazquez should get the majority of the starts for the rest of the year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AI View Post
    Lavarnway is a DFA candidate.
    FWIW, .389/.463/.528 in his last 10 games at PAW. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Sox DFA Kelly Johnson and give Lavarnway his spot.

vCash
    Folks at the Sox forum the past 2+ years were hell bent on Lavarnway having an mlb bat and his numbers translating well.

He is really bad.

vCash
    More Roster moves according to WEEI

Heath Hembree and Corey Brown are being called up. NO corresponding move yet.

According to multiple sources, the Red Sox are planning to call up reliever Heath Hembree and outfielder Corey Brown for the upcoming road trip to St. Louis.

While the corresponding roster moves have yet to be announced, pitcher Steven Wright will most likely be sent down to Pawtucket in order to make room for Hembree.

The move to make room for Brown on the roster is a little more complicated. Logical solutions could be to place Allen Craig, who hurt his left ankle running in his Red Sox debut on Friday, on the disabled list, or sending Mookie Betts back to Pawtucket.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcCrawford View Post
    Folks at the Sox forum the past 2+ years were hell bent on Lavarnway having an mlb bat and his numbers translating well.

He is really bad.
    Though I Haven't quite been on these boards that long, you can lump me in with some of those who thought Lavarnway could have been as good or better than WMB offensively. It's really a shame to see him pretty much out of the picture at this point. He should have been moved if/when he still had value last season or the prior off-season in retrospect.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSoxtober View Post
    FWIW, .389/.463/.528 in his last 10 games at PAW. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Sox DFA Kelly Johnson and give Lavarnway his spot.
    Still hitting for no power. That's BABIP luck and an 8% walk rate as a ~26 year old in AAA. Translates to his same old **** probably in the MLB. One of him and butler should be DFA'd.

vCash
    Just saw Lou Merloni tweet that Allen Craig was going to the DL.

vCash
    Catcher David Ross (plantar fasciitis) tested his right heel by running the bases at full speed, including starting and stopping, and is expected to be reinstated from the disabled list before tonight’s game, at which point catcher Dan Butler will be optioned to Triple A. Farrell suggested the Sox will ease Ross back into the lineup, eventually moving into a more equitable timeshare behind the plate with rookie Christian Vazquez.
    Boston Herald