Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

I have a good feeling Lester is going to come back

Yesterday:
    David Ortiz "I have a very good feeling I'll be playing with Jon Lester again" via verducci on mlb network

Ryan Hannable ‏@RyanHannable 5m
    Lester said he thanked the Red Sox organization yesterday for everything they've done & "we'll see where that relationship goes."

Gordon Edes ‏@GordonEdes Jul 31
    I'm having a tough time believing this, but I'm told Red Sox plan to make huge effort to re-sign Lester

Lesters twitter favorites
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bt4sT_LIMAAc-y2.png

vCash
    Said it once, will say it again, I expect us to sign Lester in the offseason and pick up another starter as well (FA or via trade). I could see us making a serious run at James Shields at something like 4 years/$65-75M. Similar to what we did with Victorino, Gomes and Napoli, overpay for a shorter amount of years.

vCash
    Lester is a well socialized young man that spoke in positive terms and didn't burn any bridges - in public. Extrapolating his actual intention, or the result of his search for a contract based on these words is liable to result in disappointment.

From another thread:

AI:

A 5 year deal at market value, I repeat, should be enough to bring him back. Offer him a 6th year vesting option based on IP's, if the option vests, means he's still healthy and eating innings at the end of that contract.
    Few know for sure, but this seems like a projection of your desire and not an objective statement.
    The Sox don't even seem to want to go more than 4 years. So where do you get 5 years?

What's market value? What the market will bear? If the Yanks offer 7/$175M is that the market?

Or is it just 5/$120M? Because that's as high as you think the Sox would go? If so, that's not the market, that's as far as the Sox will go.

I think at least 2-4 teams will offer him 6/$144M or better, with at least one going well above that - that's better then 5/$120M.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    Joe McDonald ‏@ESPNJoeyMac 56m
    A few Red Sox players this morning said they're convinced Jon Lester will re-sign with Boston in the offseason.

Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe 40m
    Asked Pedroia about Lester, a long-time teammate, being traded. “Think we could be teammates again,” he said. “Wouldn't be surprised."

I am pretty sure they have a handshake deal done

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by grandsalami View Post
    Joe McDonald ‏@ESPNJoeyMac 56m
    A few Red Sox players this morning said they're convinced Jon Lester will re-sign with Boston in the offseason.

Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe 40m
    Asked Pedroia about Lester, a long-time teammate, being traded. “Think we could be teammates again,” he said. “Wouldn't be surprised."

I am pretty sure they have a handshake deal done
    This sounds like when a kid that has his best friend move across the country, telling himself that he'll be back...

Hopeful/wishful thinking isn't proof of anything but desire to see things put back the way they were.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    This sounds like when a kid that has his best friend move across the country, telling himself that he'll be back...

Hopeful/wishful thinking isn't proof of anything but desire to see things put back the way they were.
    Pedroia and Ortiz could have said 10000000 other things, that they both said what they did, is telling given that they are all close with each other...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    The Sox don't even seem to want to go more than 4 years. So where do you get 5 years?

What's market value? What the market will bear? If the Yanks offer 7/$175M is that the market?

Or is it just 5/$120M? Because that's as high as you think the Sox would go? If so, that's not the market, that's as far as the Sox will go.

I think at least 2-4 teams will offer him 6/$144M or better, with at least one going well above that - that's better then 5/$120M.
    This isn't like Ellsbury where you don't pay top dollar because you have a JBJ waiting in the wings to replace him, currently, we don't have a "Jon Lester" or anybody who can replace him within our organization. Everything Lester has said and done since the start of ST has been consistent with him saying he'd take less to stay in BOS as long as it's a fair deal.

I have a hard time accepting that he'd turn down a 5-6 year offer at market value. What is market value for Lester? Between $19-25M per, he's a top of the rotation arm (a lefty at that), a proven/consistent innings eater, AL East and playoffs battle tested, and he should be payed accordingly. We have the money to pay him whatever he wants and I have little doubt that both sides didn't find middle middle-ground during "extension talks". We, most likely, already know what it would take to re-sign Lester and have built up enough good will to do so.

I will stick by my opinion, we will re-sign Lester in the offseason plus we will also acquire someone to replace Lackey. James Shields is my early guess on a short year, higher AAV contract (4/$65-70M).

vCash
    If you think the Sox have a handshake agreement with Lester, you're nuts. They would've outright signed him to the extension if they reached an agreement. Lester's made it known that he wants to test the open market at least. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if he's back.

vCash
    Can the Sox hush hush on this? Isn't it borderline tempering?

vCash
    No proof even if there was. And if he comes back it'll be for a discount still. He could get 6 or 7 years somewhere else and well likely stop at 5.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by B'sCeltsPatsSox View Post
    If you think the Sox have a handshake agreement with Lester, you're nuts.
    So true...

Just because everyone involved is acting like those polite chipmunks in the old cartoons, doesn't mean it actually has real meaning/intention behind it.

The notion that Lester will come back for 5/$120M vs say 6/$150M is quaint.

vCash
    If they had an agreement lackey wouldn't have asked to be dealt.

vCash
    I hope your all right, BUT...with John Henry's comment about not signing a FA pitcher, who is over the age of 30 makes me skeptical to say the least. Of the FA pitchers available, the only one I can see us going after is J. Masterson.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maplecitymadman View Post
    I hope your all right, BUT...with John Henry's comment about not signing a FA pitcher, who is over the age of 30 makes me skeptical to say the least. Of the FA pitchers available, the only one I can see us going after is J. Masterson.
    Problem is we don't need another Justin Masterson. We need an ace. Lester has thrown fewer innings than a 28/29 year old Felix Hernandez. He could pitch well into his late 30's. If we're not getting him, I'm keen to whoever suggested a trade for Sale. He'd replace Lester about as good as anybody I can think of.

vCash
    Yeah, I think now that he's been traded there's a very slim chance that Lester's back with Boston next year.
    Favourite Teams:

Boston Red Sox: 63-80, games this week vs. Orioles (3), Royals (4)
    Indianapolis Colts: 0-1, Week 2 vs. Eagles
    Minnesota Timberwolves: New team, hoping for good things this season.
    Ottawa Senators: 37-31-14, season over, free agency begins this week.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast