Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Haren Has To Go

vCash

Haren Has To Go

He can not start another game for the Dodgers. With Maholm going on the DL most likely, look for the Dodgers to call up either Patterson, Zach Lee or someone else who will take Haren's spot in the rotation.

vCash
    Bring someone up and let haren mop up when needed

vCash
    It's time to let Zach Lee show his stuff or trade him while he still has some - decent? - value.

Would Amaro trade Hamels for a package including Lee? Perhaps not. But Bastardo? Yeah, that could happen. Beyond the "big 3" prospects Lee probably has the best combination of perceived potential vs. expendability to bring back something worthwhile in return. Or he can fill the #5 spot himself.

Time for Lee to shtt or get off the pot.

Mel Didier once told me...

vCash
    Zach Lee is 23 at Triple A. This shows how little some of you know about prospects. Acting like a guy 3 years younger, playing in an extreme hitters environment is losing all his value based on a poor half of season is hilarious.

vCash
    Here's what I know: Zach Lee was drafted in the first round of the 2010 draft, with some extra fanfare surrounding his alternative career option as QB for LSU, admittedly something that has little to do with his baseball prospects. Since then he has soared as high as "best Dodger minor league pitcher" however after two underwhelming seasons he now projects as a back-end starting pitcher, #5 or #4 at best.

So, yes, I agree that at 23 there is still some value. But as a prized prospect he has lost some luster. IMO this makes him the perfect guy to trade. He can still entice some GM's - especially if any of them think like you - but he is unlikely to truly burn the Dodgers ala Pedro Martinez. He's more likely to become Nate Eovaldi. Anyone think we shouldn't have traded him for Hanley??

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sidg View Post
    He can not start another game for the Dodgers. With Maholm going on the DL most likely, look for the Dodgers to call up either Patterson, Zach Lee or someone else who will take Haren's spot in the rotation.
    As a rule of thumb, if a guy isn't an obvious upgrade, they probably shouldn't replace Haren with the guys.

BTW in fairness to Haren, more than a few of those runs weren't his fault, that was a poorly played game by everyone. Then Perez allowed a bunch of inherited runners to score.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodger Dawg View Post
    Here's what I know: Zach Lee was drafted in the first round of the 2010 draft, with some extra fanfare surrounding his alternative career option as QB for LSU, admittedly something that has little to do with his baseball prospects. Since then he has soared as high as "best Dodger minor league pitcher" however after two underwhelming seasons he now projects as a back-end starting pitcher, #5 or #4 at best.

So, yes, I agree that at 23 there is still some value. But as a prized prospect he has lost some luster. IMO this makes him the perfect guy to trade. He can still entice some GM's - especially if any of them think like you - but he is unlikely to truly burn the Dodgers ala Pedro Martinez. He's more likely to become Nate Eovaldi Anyone think we shouldn't have traded him for Hanley??
    Getting traded could be the best thing for Lee too, maybe another team can help him improve his off speed stuff. The marlins trainers had Evoaldi change his delivery and now he has added velocity.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DerekBrink2 View Post
    Zach Lee is 23 at Triple A. This shows how little some of you know about prospects. Acting like a guy 3 years younger, playing in an extreme hitters environment is losing all his value based on a poor half of season is hilarious.
    He was supposed to be a guy with good velocity, think hitting 95+ he isn't that, he doesn't have a plus breaking pitch either, there really isn't a lot left to project at this point now, and he has to get on the 40 man roster before the next rule 5 draft or they could lose him. He has become more of a ground ball pitcher, which is good, but his command has suddenly gotten worse too, he is striking out 2.5 less batters than last year, and he is walking more than a better per 9 compared to last year. It seems he has taken a pretty big step backwards.
    Last edited by ciaban; 08-02-2014 at 03:55 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sidg View Post
    Neither look like much better options, and with Beckett's hip problem I'm not in love with getting rid of him.

vCash
    my fear with zach lee is that he IS 23 and he IS at AAA when the dodgers in the past (bills, kershaw, and others) have usually not allowed their pitchers to hit AAA if they value them unless it's a rehab start.

To the Dodgers, AA is like the next step for a high level prospect. Kemp went straight from AA to the majors adn even when he was sent back down back and forth, it was to AA, not AAA.

When Dee first came up, it was from AA to the m ajors

when we got Puig, he went to AA, not AAA

Janse, Withrow, Paco, all from AA to the majors.

well, withrow half a season in AAA but a lot of years in AA.

So, the fact that Zach Lee, Joc Pederson, Tim Fed, Erusibel, Alex Guerror all were in AAA is either a change in how things are done because of the new management, or they aren't high on those guys.

This is how we do it! I still believe

vCash
    Haren is garbage, Maholm is hurt... I expect the Dodgers to acquire a pitcher on waivers

for now we need to give ZLee or Chris Reed a shot; Patterson is AWFUL (Fife 2.0)
    Foam Party!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LASportsFan1996 View Post
    Haren is garbage, Maholm is hurt... I expect the Dodgers to acquire a pitcher on waivers

for now we need to give ZLee or Chris Reed a shot; Patterson is AWFUL (Fife 2.0)
    Paco called up. Ned has to make a waiver wire deal before Haren's spot comes up again.

vCash
    Haren is starting again on Wednesday

What a piece of ****
    Foam Party!

vCash
    I won't go as far as Haren has to go, but the Dodgers do need to give the ball to one/some of the kids to see what they got. It's the only way if we are going to find the next Fernando Valenzuela, Pedro Martinez, or Bob Welch in the farm system.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tymathee View Post
    So, the fact that Zach Lee, Joc Pederson, Tim Fed, Erusibel, Alex Guerror all were in AAA is either a change in how things are done because of the new management, or they aren't high on those guys.
    You're right, the elite prospects used to be promoted directly from AA and AAA was considered the league for prospects who needed more work on a specific area, for rehab assignments, and for career minor leaguers ala Crash Davis.

That seems to have changed not just with the Dodgers but in much of baseball. I'm not sure why it has changed, but more and more the top AA prospects still have to prove themselves in AAA before a promotion to the majors: from our Joc Pederson to Chicago's Kris Bryant.

Anyone know about this shift?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast