Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Should the Pacers take a page from the Spurs book and tank just for one year?

I still say Pacers could get 7-8 seed with great coaching in Vogel and if other players step up.

BUT if Pacers were smart they would pull a Spurs (David Robinson injury) and tank hard to get a top pick in the draft (Tim Duncan) and get back to being contenders with a healthy Paul George and a 1-3 overall pick

@TheLandonThomas 5,000 followers
    @MavsFansForLife 6,000 followers
    "Do the LT" coming to a thread near you.

vCash
    Well, the Spurs had several guys injured that year, (not just Robinson) and outside of D-Rob, didn't really have anyone else on that roster who could get them a lot of wins. They only had a 21% chance of getting the #1 draft pick.

The Pacers have a far better roster around George and play in the east. I don't know what next year's draft looks like, but I can't see them trying to lose games. This could be the perfect scenario for Hibbert to become the dominant player he should be with George potentially out for the year and Lance gone.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kdspurman View Post
    Well, the Spurs had several guys injured that year, (not just Robinson) and outside of D-Rob, didn't really have anyone else on that roster who could get them a lot of wins. They only had a 21% chance of getting the #1 draft pick.

The Pacers have a far better roster around George and play in the east. I don't know what next year's draft looks like, but I can't see them trying to lose games. This could be the perfect scenario for Hibbert to become the dominant player he should be with George potentially out for the year and Lance gone.
    You underrate Nique. And D-Rob being the main guy is the real killer, he was basically carrying the team for years, without him, everything falls apart Cleveland style.

"It’s absolutely ludicrous” (to judge players based on whether they’ve won a title.)

vCash
    Nah. I mean. What's the draft going to be like this year? I don't see any future hall of famers like Timmy?

They're playing in the East. They could still make the playoffs.

If they do this they would have to do right though. Difficult to finish lower than the garbage at the bottom of the East.

Feels like a knee jerk reaction. Without George they could potentially still make the playoffs in the piss weak East. Possibility George could be healthy for second half of the season, no news on if he's out for the entire year (nothing official anyway). Nobody in the draft worth tanking for IMO, nobody that will put you over the top anyway.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    You underrate Nique. And D-Rob being the main guy is the real killer, he was basically carrying the team for years, without him, everything falls apart Cleveland style.
    I knew Nique was good that year for sure, even at like 37 years of age. Probably a big reason why they even got 20 wins. But he wasn't in a position in his career to do the heavy lifting for a full season. Elliott also missed half the season. But yea, very Cleveland style.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goose17 View Post
    Nah. I mean. What's the draft going to be like this year? I don't see any future hall of famers like Timmy?

They're playing in the East. They could still make the playoffs.

If they do this they would have to do right though. Difficult to finish lower than the garbage at the bottom of the East.

Feels like a knee jerk reaction. Without George they could potentially still make the playoffs in the piss weak East. Possibility George could be healthy for second half of the season, no news on if he's out for the entire year (nothing official anyway). Nobody in the draft worth tanking for IMO, nobody that will put you over the top anyway.
    The East is pretty well rounded, not as talent deep as the west, but there's a lot of parity between the teams minus the Sixers, Bucks Celtics and Magic. Without arguably their top 2 players from last year both offensively and defensively, they most likely miss the playoffs with this current roster. They will probably finish 10th in the East, which would be hindrance to their development as they might a 7-9th pick.

Personally I would trade West, Hibbert and Hill for expiring contracts, first rounders if possible, and some young players to build around Paul George. I would think the Knicks might be a good trade partner, minus the first rounders, they can get expiring contracts like Amare or Bargs and a Hardaway and/or Shumpert for West Hibbert, + some fillers. Then the Pacers can try and land a good FA next year to build around George, and get a better chance to pick higher in the draft, while getting some younger players with potential.

If they don't try and rebuild via the draft next year they might end up worse than Cleavland when LBJ left. The Cavs at least got some solid picks when LBJ returned, the Pacers will only get older when George returns and his first year back he might not be at top form.

vCash
    They may as well, they were not going to win it all as they are constructed now anyway.

vCash
    naaaa... pacers have too many guys who cant afford to waste a year of their carreers.. maybe trade david west and scola
    A role model if I ever knew one

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by likemystylez View Post
    naaaa... pacers have too many guys who cant afford to waste a year of their carreers.. maybe trade david west and scola
    Trade West to the Hornets.

vCash
    Yeah.....except there is no Tim Duncan waiting next year to be selected number one.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NBA_Starter View Post
    Trade West to the Hornets.
    West's value would be so high if he was on the block. Any contender would love to have him. Don't be surprised if Jordan takes a good long look as insurance for Jefferson.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SILVER SEAVER View Post
    Yeah.....except there is no Tim Duncan waiting next year to be selected number one.
    no but Jahlil would be Roy Hibbert 10.0, Mudiay would be glorious next to George, so would Cliff Alexander. I like next years draft a lot, hopefully though the tanking thing won't matter with the new lottery odds. I don't see the Pacers being a playoff team anymroe.

vCash
    As much as I've never really liked David West (the guy is always scowling like he wants to just punch everybody on the court), I can't help but admit he'd be great as the Rockets PF. Maybe the Pelicans protected first and DMo or Capella? (Honestly, I don't know how this Capella guy is so that might not be an option).

But yeah, with the Cavs taking a spot and the Knicks potentially moving up, and nobody else on the team being above and beyond to carry the team, I'd probably have a fire sale and start building for the future. If they try to win, I'd tell Hibbert that it's on him and just let him work. It'll make or break him.
    Last edited by Saddletramp; 08-03-2014 at 02:35 AM.

vCash
    Hibbert's deal is just as big a problem as before George's injury. So yeah they should look to rebuild but they still need to find an idiot to take Hibbert.

vCash
    they should trade west and hill to the knicks for stat a player say shumpert and pick play stat 30 mins a night then when stat knees go out have a second disabled player exception lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast