Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 39
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    8,247
    vCash
    1500

    Should the Pacers take a page from the Spurs book and tank just for one year?

    I still say Pacers could get 7-8 seed with great coaching in Vogel and if other players step up.

    BUT if Pacers were smart they would pull a Spurs (David Robinson injury) and tank hard to get a top pick in the draft (Tim Duncan) and get back to being contenders with a healthy Paul George and a 1-3 overall pick



    @TheLandonThomas 5,000 followers
    @MavsFansForLife 6,000 followers
    "Do the LT" coming to a thread near you.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Brooklyn, NYC
    Posts
    12,268
    vCash
    1623
    Well, the Spurs had several guys injured that year, (not just Robinson) and outside of D-Rob, didn't really have anyone else on that roster who could get them a lot of wins. They only had a 21% chance of getting the #1 draft pick.

    The Pacers have a far better roster around George and play in the east. I don't know what next year's draft looks like, but I can't see them trying to lose games. This could be the perfect scenario for Hibbert to become the dominant player he should be with George potentially out for the year and Lance gone.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    33,719
    vCash
    1894
    Quote Originally Posted by kdspurman View Post
    Well, the Spurs had several guys injured that year, (not just Robinson) and outside of D-Rob, didn't really have anyone else on that roster who could get them a lot of wins. They only had a 21% chance of getting the #1 draft pick.

    The Pacers have a far better roster around George and play in the east. I don't know what next year's draft looks like, but I can't see them trying to lose games. This could be the perfect scenario for Hibbert to become the dominant player he should be with George potentially out for the year and Lance gone.
    You underrate Nique. And D-Rob being the main guy is the real killer, he was basically carrying the team for years, without him, everything falls apart Cleveland style.

    "It’s absolutely ludicrous” (to judge players based on whether they’ve won a title.)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    6,384
    vCash
    1613
    Nah. I mean. What's the draft going to be like this year? I don't see any future hall of famers like Timmy?

    They're playing in the East. They could still make the playoffs.

    If they do this they would have to do right though. Difficult to finish lower than the garbage at the bottom of the East.

    Feels like a knee jerk reaction. Without George they could potentially still make the playoffs in the piss weak East. Possibility George could be healthy for second half of the season, no news on if he's out for the entire year (nothing official anyway). Nobody in the draft worth tanking for IMO, nobody that will put you over the top anyway.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Brooklyn, NYC
    Posts
    12,268
    vCash
    1623
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    You underrate Nique. And D-Rob being the main guy is the real killer, he was basically carrying the team for years, without him, everything falls apart Cleveland style.
    I knew Nique was good that year for sure, even at like 37 years of age. Probably a big reason why they even got 20 wins. But he wasn't in a position in his career to do the heavy lifting for a full season. Elliott also missed half the season. But yea, very Cleveland style.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Omnipresent
    Posts
    226
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Goose17 View Post
    Nah. I mean. What's the draft going to be like this year? I don't see any future hall of famers like Timmy?

    They're playing in the East. They could still make the playoffs.

    If they do this they would have to do right though. Difficult to finish lower than the garbage at the bottom of the East.

    Feels like a knee jerk reaction. Without George they could potentially still make the playoffs in the piss weak East. Possibility George could be healthy for second half of the season, no news on if he's out for the entire year (nothing official anyway). Nobody in the draft worth tanking for IMO, nobody that will put you over the top anyway.
    The East is pretty well rounded, not as talent deep as the west, but there's a lot of parity between the teams minus the Sixers, Bucks Celtics and Magic. Without arguably their top 2 players from last year both offensively and defensively, they most likely miss the playoffs with this current roster. They will probably finish 10th in the East, which would be hindrance to their development as they might a 7-9th pick.

    Personally I would trade West, Hibbert and Hill for expiring contracts, first rounders if possible, and some young players to build around Paul George. I would think the Knicks might be a good trade partner, minus the first rounders, they can get expiring contracts like Amare or Bargs and a Hardaway and/or Shumpert for West Hibbert, + some fillers. Then the Pacers can try and land a good FA next year to build around George, and get a better chance to pick higher in the draft, while getting some younger players with potential.

    If they don't try and rebuild via the draft next year they might end up worse than Cleavland when LBJ left. The Cavs at least got some solid picks when LBJ returned, the Pacers will only get older when George returns and his first year back he might not be at top form.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    101,727
    vCash
    1605
    They may as well, they were not going to win it all as they are constructed now anyway.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    14,665
    vCash
    1500
    naaaa... pacers have too many guys who cant afford to waste a year of their carreers.. maybe trade david west and scola
    A role model if I ever knew one

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    101,727
    vCash
    1605
    Quote Originally Posted by likemystylez View Post
    naaaa... pacers have too many guys who cant afford to waste a year of their carreers.. maybe trade david west and scola
    Trade West to the Hornets.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    18,142
    vCash
    1500
    Yeah.....except there is no Tim Duncan waiting next year to be selected number one.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    18,142
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by NBA_Starter View Post
    Trade West to the Hornets.
    West's value would be so high if he was on the block. Any contender would love to have him. Don't be surprised if Jordan takes a good long look as insurance for Jefferson.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    1 Mile High
    Posts
    5,717
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by SILVER SEAVER View Post
    Yeah.....except there is no Tim Duncan waiting next year to be selected number one.
    no but Jahlil would be Roy Hibbert 10.0, Mudiay would be glorious next to George, so would Cliff Alexander. I like next years draft a lot, hopefully though the tanking thing won't matter with the new lottery odds. I don't see the Pacers being a playoff team anymroe.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    628
    vCash
    1500
    As much as I've never really liked David West (the guy is always scowling like he wants to just punch everybody on the court), I can't help but admit he'd be great as the Rockets PF. Maybe the Pelicans protected first and DMo or Capella? (Honestly, I don't know how this Capella guy is so that might not be an option).

    But yeah, with the Cavs taking a spot and the Knicks potentially moving up, and nobody else on the team being above and beyond to carry the team, I'd probably have a fire sale and start building for the future. If they try to win, I'd tell Hibbert that it's on him and just let him work. It'll make or break him.
    Last edited by Saddletramp; 08-03-2014 at 02:35 AM.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    813
    vCash
    1500
    Hibbert's deal is just as big a problem as before George's injury. So yeah they should look to rebuild but they still need to find an idiot to take Hibbert.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    495
    vCash
    1500
    they should trade west and hill to the knicks for stat a player say shumpert and pick play stat 30 mins a night then when stat knees go out have a second disabled player exception lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •