Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 86 1231151 ... LastLast
    vCash

2014 Free Agent and Trade Thread v6.0 (Post Non-Waiver Trade Deadline Edition)

Javylujah... Javylujah... Javylujah

vCash
    I realize Arguello may have used poor examples of pitchers the Cubs should go after, but I agree with the general premise that they may have to overpay and now might be the time to do so. Maybe not on Lester and Masterson, but I would love to see either Scherzer or Shields along with Maeda. Add them to Arrieta and Hendricks and I think you have a very nice rotation. Add that staff to a line up that could have Rusney Castillo, a few solid prospects from the system and maybe one big bat via trade (Stanton, as an example, for Baez+) and you have a playoff contending team. They go as far as the rookies take them. If the rookies struggle out of the gate, maybe the team wins low 80's. But if Castillo, Bryant, Alcantara and maybe even Solar are all + players the team could win 90 games. Honestly even if 2 of the rookies were in the conversation for ROY the team would be good and have a chance to be even better in years to come.

vCash
    I guess I'm just waiting for the Arrieta decline. I feel the league will adjust to him or something. Very good example would be t.wood
    That's a terrible example Petrey. One of them has top of the line stuff, the other was doing a great job using his solid pitches more, and his ****** ones less. Then he stopped doing that.

The other has one of the best pitches in baseball, and a 94MPH fastball. He also fixed his release point after working with Bosio.

What happened with Wood is unfortunate, but it wasn't the league adjusting, it was him unadjusting for reasons that remain baffling to me.

And then. He made them pancakes.

vCash
    I think Arguello mentions Lester and Masteron now mainly cause they don't cost a draft pick. We'll be drafting early 40's again this year so they may wanna keep that. You sign Lester you keep 40ish pick. You sign Scherzer/Shields you don't

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Doogolas View Post
    That's a terrible example Petrey. One of them has top of the line stuff, the other was doing a great job using his solid pitches more, and his ****** ones less. Then he stopped doing that.

The other has one of the best pitches in baseball, and a 94MPH fastball. He also fixed his release point after working with Bosio.

What happened with Wood is unfortunate, but it wasn't the league adjusting, it was him unadjusting for reasons that remain baffling to me.
    Doubront will be better than Wood anyway. Time for Woody to make that transition to outfielder. #30homeruns

IDGAF

vCash
    Masters on wasn't getting a qualifying offer dude

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cub_StuckinSTL View Post
    Masters on wasn't getting a qualifying offer dude
    Maybe not but now it's guaranteed

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cubsfan2206 View Post
    Maybe not but now it's guaranteed
    Have you seen his numbers dude?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cub_StuckinSTL View Post
    Have you seen his numbers dude?
    Lol yes he's been real bad. 2013 was great though. Guarantee you he bounces back last 2 months here with a little cardinal magic dust

vCash
    Lol yes he's been real bad. 2013 was great though. Guarantee you he bounces back last 2 months here with a little cardinal magic dust
    2013 he was throwing his sinker almost 92 MPH (lost 3 MPH off of it this year). This isn't a mechanical problem, it's that his arm is falling off and he can't fool hitters anymore because his sinker (which he throws almost 50 percent of the time) sucks.
    Last edited by La_bibbers; 08-01-2014 at 05:02 PM.

IDGAF

vCash
    He's giving up 22% line drives on his sinker this year compared to his career 17.8% basically. He's not the same pitcher. I don't even think the Cardinals can fix him.

IDGAF

vCash
    I think Arguello mentions Lester and Masteron now mainly cause they don't cost a draft pick. We'll be drafting early 40's again this year so they may wanna keep that. You sign Lester you keep 40ish pick. You sign Scherzer/Shields you don't
    I know that. But IMO this will be the last year the 1st round pick is protected for the Cubs. If they lose a 2nd round pick that is better than what other teams might lose and again, better then what they will lose in future years

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by La_bibbers View Post
    He's giving up 22% line drives on his sinker this year compared to his career 17.8% basically. He's not the same pitcher. I don't even think the Cardinals can fix him.
    Unfortunately that's been disproven many times before with that damn organization...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    I know that. But IMO this will be the last year the 1st round pick is protected for the Cubs. If they lose a 2nd round pick that is better than what other teams might lose and again, better then what they will lose in future years
    That's true.

vCash
    Meh, I really like Arrieta but I'm hesitant to say he's "likely" anything at this point. His last 100 IP are awesome, but they're neither a major sample size, nor his norm, and I can't say that he's "likely" to do anything. Garza was "likely" to become a TORP once he started here and changed his pitching repertoire and he kind of settled more as a mid-rotation arm, for example. I will say I'm highly excited about Arrieta, but I'm not going to commit to anything on him yet.

On the guys in free agency? I'm a full pass on Masterson, as well as passing on McCarthy as anything outside of a number 5. And even then, I'm not very interested, because it likely means 1/2 season of McCarthy and 1/2 season of a Villenueva type arm, or whomever the Villanueva replacement is. There's something to be said about durability, and I don't particularly like the injured arm as any more than a BORP. He just cannot stay healthy and I don't see any reason why he would suddenly.

I'd like to see us hit up a Hammel and Shields. Shields/Arrieta/Hammel/Kendricks/Doubrant-Wood souds pretty solid to me. Nothing special but good enough.
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 08-01-2014 at 06:12 PM.
    #WhyNot?

People ask me, "Why here? Why Kentucky?", I said "Why not"? It can be done here. It will be done here. Lay the foundation. Recruit and develop. Prepare to win. Day by day. Play by play. A new era of high performance. Why Kentucky? Why not? -Mark Stoops

Page 1 of 86 1231151 ... LastLast