Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Stephen Hill trying to reach new heights

Stephen Hill trying to reach new heights

CORTLAND, N.Y. -- Stephen Hill is growing before our eyes. No, really, he is.

The New York Jets' third-year wide receiver said he grew close to an inch in the offseason, making him 6-foot-5. Actually, he may have grown more than an inch over the past couple of years, considering his official scouting combine height in 2012 was 6-foot-3 3/4.

Now comes the hard part: Raising his game to a new height.

Coming off two disappointing seasons, Hill is approaching training camp with a greater sense of urgency. As he said Friday after another strong practice, "Every day feels like it's my last day. That's how I have to play. Nothing is guaranteed in this league."

Hill is a perennial tease, tantalizing the coaches in training camp with his raw physical skills. Then comes the regular season, which means a big game against the Buffalo Bills (the only team he dominates), followed by a disappearing act and an injury -- or vice versa. He has only 45 catches and four touchdowns in two seasons. He has five dropped passes in 100 targets, according to ESPN Stats & Information -- not the kind of ratio that makes you look good.

The organization is running out of patience, but it remains intrigued by Hill's potential -- that incredible size and his terrific speed. He wasn't a John Idzik draft pick, so there are no guarantees, but it would be an upset if he doesn't make the team. But that's not the issue; the question is, can he finally fulfill his potential?

He was fantastic Friday, burning cornerback Dee Milliner for two touchdowns, including a 60-yard strike from Geno Smith on a "go" route. Rex Ryan was restrained in his praise of Hill, probably because he has seen this act before: A great training camp and ... pffft! He fades away.

Hill credited his fast start with being more comfortable in Marty Mornhinweg's offense.

"It's that confidence that's building under his offense for the second year," Hill said.

Mornhinweg said Hill has been "outstanding" in camp. If he can sustain it in the regular season, it would take the Jets' offense to a different level. It would take pressure off Eric Decker, forcing defenses to respect both sides of the field. It would be huge for the Jets.

"It can be really good, especially when everybody is on their 'A' game," Hill said of the offense. "It's a team effort. If one guy goes down, sometimes it can mess up the whole thing. Making sure everyone is on their deal, and making sure I'm on mine, we'll be unstoppable."

He should look in the mirror. It starts with him.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    Stephen Hill is a dick.

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Magoo View Post
    Stephen Hill is a dick.
    He's garbage, and a bust

vCash
    It would be nice if he stepped up and showed why he was a 2nd rounder. IMO, he reminds me a lot of what could have been with Gholston--Gholston would have been the pass rusher on the outside we have craved for years under Rex-- had he stepped up. Hill stepping up would solve a TON of issues at the WR position. It would give us someone with height and speed opposite Decker; combine that with Kerley in the slot and Nelson, and you have the makings of a very solid WR corp. for years to come.
    PSD's Muhammad Wilkerson!!!

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Magoo View Post
    Stephen Hill is a dick.

After re-reading the article, I see your point more clearly and I must admit, I hadn't seen this about him, but it's true. This is a direct excerpt -

growing before our eyes grew close to an inch may have grown more than an inch over the past couple of years,

the hard incredible size It would be huge

Need I say more?

It's all downhill from here.
    Might as well enjoy the ride.

vCash
    Do you guys think he’s using a “stretch method” and we’re literally talking about an anatomy part, or are you giving up on the guy. It certainly could be both, with the 1st part being somewhat funny, and the 2nd would be somewhat tragic - for me anyway.

I remember in our pre-draft threads of 2012, how badly I wanted to draft Stephen Hill. I was so ridiculously enamored with the thought of him being “our Calvin Johnson,” and I got totally hung up on combine-type hype that I never even gave a thought to him struggling to learn how to be a pass-catching WR, let alone a NFL WR.

I know he has “teased” (I have read this word used about him at least a dozen times, so why not me, oh wait - that’s about Russell Wilson’s SB dream last year - and ours) us in TC before, and after his 1st NFL game against the Bills, I was almost giddy (what a silly word, but that’s pretty much how I felt). Sanchez looked like he had recovered from his 3 game 2011 end-o-season disaster, and Hill looked larger than life. That is just another great demonstration of how whacky the opening game can be.

I really hope S. Hill’s knees are healthy (did “we” - Jet’s team docs, and MrT, etc - know that he had “hinkey” knees - I’m pulling out all my old time adjectives). If they are healthy, I think the kid can be the guy I’ve (probably we, although I may have been the only idiot to have fallen for the combine wonder) always hoped he would be. Even if his knees had been great, such an inexperienced WR really might not be expected to “come into his own” (no references to his “growing” - although there are some people, especially males, that can continue to grow in their early 20’s, and throw in the very likely prospect of utilizing human growth hormone - “HGH” - makes it even more possible) until year 3 anyway, or is that just the excuse NFL people spout when they’ve drafted a bust, but don’t want to admit it until they have to cut him sometime after year 3 has progressed, and they still suck (KOW - NO!!!!).

BTW - I HATE to hear about all these early TC “hamstring” injuries. It is truly a 90% avoidable injury (I just pulled that number out of my arse), but it is really true in most cases. Players have not trained hard enough @ “red-line” speeds (which, of course they have to build up to slowly and them keep themselves in top shape), and they get to camp, and it’s starting to “count,” and they push themselves to the limit - which they haven’t done in their off-season training, and “owey” - hop hop, limp, limp - to the sidelines. Thankfully, I don’t think anyone has heard “POP” - KOW - but still.

It have been following you guys (my fellow Jet Fans) pretty closely, but I have had to do so much crap to complete my every 10 year recertification for the ABIM (which is just ridiculous - IMO), and I’ve passed the exam - what a ball-buster that was, and I just have one more project to write up - which I’m supposed to be doing now, but I just had to jump in and say hey to my favorite people in the world - so - HEY!

GO JETS!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ccugrad1 View Post
    It would be nice if he stepped up and showed why he was a 2nd rounder. IMO, he reminds me a lot of what could have been with Gholston--Gholston would have been the pass rusher on the outside we have craved for years under Rex-- had he stepped up. Hill stepping up would solve a TON of issues at the WR position. It would give us someone with height and speed opposite Decker; combine that with Kerley in the slot and Nelson, and you have the makings of a very solid WR corp. for years to come.
    If he can improve his route running and catch the ball, he's a star in this league. One thing I've noticed in offseason and TC video is that he's using his hands to catch instead of trying to catch everything against his body.

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

vCash

vCash
    I certainly hope so - I think most of us hope so. As alluded to by “ccugrad1,” above - having S. Hill become a legitimate, consistent NFL WR (especially a #1 type) would alleviate one of our biggest problems - and turn a perennial struggle (having a killer WR corps), into a strength - IF he can keep his knees from rotting from the inside, continue to grow, catch the ball with his hands, and so many other things - but why not (LOW)?

GO JETS!!!

vCash

vCash
    Ouch

Nice throw Geno! Way to get your boy killed

vCash
    Like everyone else I hope Hill can turn the corner but I have a feeling we are in for at least a little disapointment. I tried to do a little research but got lazy, what I want to figure out, and what I will pose to you all is this:

Has there ever been a guy with Hill's production (or lack thereof) in 2 seasons who turned into a #1 the 3rd and/or beyond? Most of the guys I think of that are #1's Calvin/Green/Fitz/Julio/Dez/BMarsh etc etc were all very good or studs right away. I see no possible way Hill ever turns into a #1, maybe not even a #2 (and I dont count a #2 on our team because lets be real the competition is not there). How many teams in the NFL given where we are today would he be a #2? Any?

Not saying he cant be great, or even a solid player for us and I hope he is like we all do, I just think we are setting up for failure if we thing he is suddenly going to figure it out and become a #1 option in the NFL

vCash
    I would be shocked if Hill became anything more than a stretch receiver.

vCash
    To me,the one thing hill could learn and learn well enough for it to be second nature, is to go up and get the ball with his hands and have confidence in doing so. If he could do that, he changes the game. He would need to run 3 simple patterns well to beat any D, a straight line deep route (fly, seam, skinny post), a stop and go,ma hook and a fade. **** , if he learned to catch a back shoulder fade, he could get by with 3 or two patterns given his size and speed.
    Better route running? At 6'5" and 4.3, I could care less about him running a z, a hook, an out or anything that involves reading a D. Make it simple for him. Run really fast and catch it or run really fast then stop, turn, jump high and grab the ****ing ball!!!

Seriously, if he went up for the ball, he would be a nightmare to defend

(The back shoulder fade also relays on geno)

vCash
    Kimberley A. Martin @KMart_LI Q: Why doesn't Stephen Hill catch the ball with his hands instead of his body? Geno: "I don't know. I can't answer that. I know he has good hands."

Lmao! What a failure he is.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast