Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

How much longer can the Braves stay in Purgatory ?

I might be looking at the glass half empty, but do any of you really believe the Braves are true WS contenders ?

Their lack of playoff success and inability to perform in the clutch is completely frustrating. But will it get better any time soon ? Teheran might be an ACE but I can still think of 9-10 other pitchers around the league that I'd rather have throwing game 1 of a series. You can't blame their lack of success on being cheap because it's clear they are willing to dish out a decent amount of money on F/A's.

So what gives ? What is preventing this team from getting over the hump and why does it seem they've been stuck in purgatory for the last 10-15 years ?

Front office ? Scouting ? Training Staff ?

Is it time to pull back the reigns and rebuild the farm system ? Or is it a more simple solution in trying to unload some questionable contracts and hope to hit on some safer free agents.

For the record, I love the core with Heyward, Freeman, Simmons, and Teheran. But none of those guys are transcendent players who can carry a team on their back. Freeman is the closest thing and he doesn't exactly strike fear into the opposing pitcher.

Just wondering if I'm alone in this thinking or if others feel the same way. And for the record, please don't point to their recent success in the regular season because that is even more frustrating.

What does the future hold ?

vCash
    I totally agree...It feels like we are building a team to compete for division titles, make a wild card...not win a WS title (or at least compete for one). This past series against the Dodgers was indicative of that and I hope the organization can see this. I am happy with the lineup, but I understand if you want premier pitching your everyday lineup will take a hit because everybody ain't the Dodgers and our organization just doesn't have money to throw away. That said, I think that series (an early look at a playoff matchup) would have looked different if we had a premier ace. Its like we are riding on our bats, whenever everyone knows you need premier pitching to win or to at least give you a shot. I love what Teheran and Wood did, but think of the outcome of that series if we could have slid those to up to face Greinke and Haren, respectively. I think our organization is afraid of those contracts that you do have to pay for premier pitching, but I don't understand it when this has been consistently been a problem yet we give out bad contracts for BJ and Uggla. I'm just rambling, but I see your point

vCash
    No need to compare us to the Dodgers/Yankees/other teams that pay over 200 Million in players salary. We are a team that is going to have to trade and as you say make safer free agent signings. There were plenty of signs not to give BJ Upton his contract. Uggla not so clear. If we got his average over his contract we would have all been happy. We have some money coming off the books this coming year. Most of our players are signed that we will have going forward. I believe looking for a trade partner for BJ in the offseason has got to be priority one. Even if we have to take on some of his money. We need to convert Jose Peraza to CF and have him going forward starting next year becoming the leadoff hitter that this team so badly has missed in seasons past. Peraza, LaStella, Freddi, Gattis, JUP, JHey and Simmons next year a must. Our problem in the last series wasn't the pitching besides Varvaro's meltdown. We have to get a few pieces on offense and this team can go from OK to great. Thats my thoughts.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by baseballislife7 View Post
    No need to compare us to the Dodgers/Yankees/other teams that pay over 200 Million in players salary. We are a team that is going to have to trade and as you say make safer free agent signings. There were plenty of signs not to give BJ Upton his contract. Uggla not so clear. If we got his average over his contract we would have all been happy. We have some money coming off the books this coming year. Most of our players are signed that we will have going forward. I believe looking for a trade partner for BJ in the offseason has got to be priority one. Even if we have to take on some of his money. We need to convert Jose Peraza to CF and have him going forward starting next year becoming the leadoff hitter that this team so badly has missed in seasons past. Peraza, LaStella, Freddi, Gattis, JUP, JHey and Simmons next year a must. Our problem in the last series wasn't the pitching besides Varvaro's meltdown. We have to get a few pieces on offense and this team can go from OK to great. Thats my thoughts.
    But that was my thinking, since we have a good deal of money coming off next year and in future years (Santana being a bulk of that), why couldn't we have made a move for Price and be able to sign him especially with kids coming up like CB and Peraza along with tradeable pieces like Jhey (I hate to do it), Jup, and CJ.

vCash
    For as long as we have cheap *** owners.

vCash
    I think in order for the Braves to be legit contenders they need to go hard after a true front line starter to go along with Teheran this offseason. Lester or Scherzer should be their prime target.

A rotation of:
    Lester/Scherzer
    Teheran
    Wood
    Minor
    Medlen/Beachy

Looks a lot more formidable than what we are throwing out there right now.

vCash
    The only thing I have to says is if JT is the 11th best SP in baseball in your mind, then I am super happy. Of the others you can rattle off that are better than him, I am pretty sure he is the youngest of them all if not equal or very close in age. Not to mention for the next 6 years we have him at a very cost affordable contract compared to some of these other freakish contracts out there lol.

vCash
    The purse strings were opened this season. This is a high payroll for the Braves.

They have had some bad luck in FA. Some predicted Uggla's decline before he signed, but no one thought he'd be done after two seasons. BJ was a consistent 3+ WAR player before coming to the Braves. Who saw him becoming replacement level?

Beachy and Medlen are likely done, too. Losing two starters before the season hurt, too.

The most indefensible move was extending Chris Johnson.

Best defenders are in the stands!

vCash
    We need Ted Turner back.

vCash
    We need a shake up at the top. Fire Greg Walker. Bring back Chipper as the hitting coach.

vCash
    a couple of things Fredi Gonzalez needs to be fired his construction of a lineup card is very poor and his scheduled days off for players is bull crap and needs to go and let also not forget his miss handling of the bullpen.

Frank Wren needs to go with Fredi Frank failed as the Baltimore gm and is failing as the braves gm. Frank over paid for BJ Upton both in years and money and should have stayed away from him to begin with.

Frank trades for uggla and while you can not blame him for making that trade you can blame him for resigning him before you even see what he looks like on your team. With what braves gave uggla they should have been willing to risk losing uggla via free agency but I doubt that would have happened since he would have been tagged making any team signing him have to pay an even higher price then just his contract he got.

Lets also not forget about these bad draft picks Frank has made of players not worth the slot they were getting selected in.

Braves farm system is now at the bottom of farm systems but I think we can blame the cheap owners for that as many scouts have been fired and were not replaced. Any team that cuts scouts are going to see a serious hit to the farm system and development talent.

The braves season is going south and going south in a hurry and with the state of Georgia college football country hopefully that added with the braves going south will be enough to convince the owners to sell or make more of a commitment to this team and will increase the braves payroll on the field and maybe more importantly in the scouting department.

vCash
    Greg Walker is not the problem the problem is Frank wren and his selection of players that think every game is the home run derby.

Chipper is not coming he is enjoying retirement and will be several years before you can even think about him wanting the job.
    Last edited by wcg; 08-04-2014 at 10:20 AM.

vCash
    Teheran is filthy, there's not another pitcher his age I'd rather have. Between Wood, Sims, Minor, Beachy, and Medlen, you figure we'll have a pretty solid 2 and 3 in the rotation.

I haven't been able to watch as much on TV the last couple months but I like Minor and believe in him. He's a command and control lefty, though, and it's obvious his command has been off for 6 or 7 turns now. I believe in him to work it out, but I think learning a cutter or a sinker would do him wonders. His change has been less effective than all had hoped, and his slider is good, but his fastball is awfully straight and if he's not hitting corners then he's getting hit hard.

For pitching, I think we're fine. We just have to hope our guys develop, because we're not going to give Scherzer or someone $140 million in FA. It's our offense, IMO, that just kills us. La Stella has been a godsend - finally someone who can both put the bat on the ball and work a count. Johnson can do one of those things, but he never really has an approach against pitchers and as a result he lives and dies by his BABIP. Simmons, too, looks like he lacks a real approach at times and just swings away hoping something good will happen.

Heyward, Upton, and Upton have serious contact problems that cause them to slump. I'm afraid that's just the kind of hitter Heyward is always going to be - more in the Andruw Jones mold than the Chipper Jones one. Heyward does have a good eye, though, and that will keep his value up even when he's slumping. BJ and Justin, not so much. Justin is a talented power hitter when he's on though.

Freeman and Gattis are really our only consistent hitters, which is sad considering what we've invested in our OF. Freeman has struggled lately but I full expect him to have a strong finish. Gattis is only getting better and working counts and laying off pitches, which should terrify the NL because he has the ability to be both a .300 hitter and a 40 HR guy. I can't wait to get him into the OF and Bethancourt behind the plate.

vCash
    Braves need to trade Heyward because he only has two years left of team control and is going to want 15 to 20 mil a year and some gm is going to be stupid enough to give it to him.

vCash
    Move heyward back to leadoff and bat Lastella 2nd. Heyward, Lastella, Freeman, Gattis, Jupton, Chris Johnson, Simmons, Batting 8th Bj-Betancourt-Laird. What do you guys think?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast