Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Are NFL contract holdouts setting a bad precedent for all sports?

NFL players are holding out of their contracts at an alarming rate the last few years. Most of the players do end up settling prior to or during training camp, but most still end up missing mini-camps, OTAs and other workouts. Not only is this a concern for the NFL as the power is being handed over to the players, but how long until this spills into other sports?

I understand football is a completely different animal in terms of the physicality of the sport and the bad condition most players are left in during retirement. The problem is that players know that in most cases fans will pressure ownership into the "just pay the man" line of thinking, while the owners are left to think "didn't we just sort this out last year?" The physical nature of the game is rough, but business is business. I'd like to see how most of us would do if we told our employer we weren't going to work until we got a raise just months after agreeing to one. I know the comparison is different given the nature of work, eligible replacements and contractual work vs hourly, but the comparison is still within the real of reason.

Should players have the right to demand a new contract while only 1-2 years into a 3-5 year deal? Teams can fine them all they want but eventually fan voices will be heard and in all cases I can remember the team has caved. What if it was the other way around and a team asked for money back due to lackluster performance?

It worries me for the future of contract negotiations not only in the NFL, but potentially the NBA and MLB (heck even NHL) in years to come. Curious how others feel about the topic.

vCash
    NHL, MLB, and NBA contracts are all fully guaranteed. NFL contracts aren't fully guaranteed so players want as much money as they can get early on because there is no guarantee they will get the money in future years of their contracts... that's why there are holdouts. Can't compare. Won't happen.
    2014 Adopt-A-Lion: Golden Tate

vCash
    MLB has a strong players union that gets contracts. Holding out only hurts them.

Hockey doesn't seem to have that problem because teams would just trade the guy.

NBA has so many deadlines and stuff with contracts and such a hefty fine thanks to a weak union it's not worth it.

NFL is the only league with the problem thanks to non-guaranteed contracts and physical play.
    DO NOT TRUST YOUR PETS TO NEMACOLIN WOODLANDS KENNEL

On 7/20/14 we took our Calla and Pebble for a stay while on vacation. On 7/21 Calla, who is diabetic, was given 10x her insulin dosage. She wasn't found until 12 hours after being overdosed. After a week and a half of suffering we made the tough decision to put her down because of brain damage and a lack of a quality of life. She was only 7 and her breed lives until their 20's. Over half of our beloved Calla's life was stolen from us.

vCash
    I'd like to see how most of us would do if we told our employer we weren't going to work until we got a raise just months after agreeing to one. I know the comparison is different given the nature of work, eligible replacements and contractual work vs hourly, but the comparison is still within the real of reason.
    It really isn't that comparable yet everyone continues to do it.

I don't blame some guys for holding out. You got to get yours while you can. You can work your *** off for a new contract and have most of that money vanish next offseason when you are cut.

vCash
    If the nfl would fully gurantee deals then less hold outs would happen

The Future Jacksonville Jaguars Power Couple

#InCaldwellWeDon'tTrust

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TDjacksonville View Post
    This. When I see big deals, I don't even expect the player to get the full amount of money. Demarcus Ware, etc etc players who are scheduled to make 10+ million can just be cut.

This is why players fight for every guaranteed dollar right away, because in the NFL, NOTHING is guaranteed. A 23 year old can take one hit that blows out his knee and never return the same, players want their money and I don't blame them one bit.

vCash
    I completely understand the guaranteed contracts stance. My problem is with guys like Marshawn Lynch and Vernon Davis and the holdouts they were having or are in the middle of, even Jamaal Charles too. They were all signed for good money, Lynch and Charles were making near top RB money when try signed their deals just a few years back and Vernon was the highest paid TE in the NFL when he signed his. The market went up and these guys who were compensated more than fairly very recently say they now want more. I understand if you were a 7th round draft pick or someone on a cheap rookie deal looking for more, but these guys had already banked a considerable amount of money.

I know other sports do have stronger unions backing them and hopefully the NFL catches up, but I'm also worried about other sports falling closer to this mold especially with potentially another NBA labor agreement coming up in a few years. Obviously the unions would have to agree to it, but ultimately the owners hold the cards. Athletes for the most part have shown they can't be trusted to not blow through their money and will sooner or later come back to their paycheck.

vCash
    I would say yes. Players enter the league with a sense of entitlement that only increases throughout their career and it shows during times like holdouts. The game and life is bigger than your pockets, everyone pays but the player. You already make a good living playing a sport you love, when is is it enough?

Barry Lamar Bonds. .393/.967/1.054....on 3-0 counts.

lol, Please' top 10 p4p: Mayweather/Marquez/Pacquiao/Bradley/Cotto/Wlad/Rigondeaux/Froch/Canelo/Maidana

Boxing Fan? Come Discuss Boxing!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TDjacksonville View Post
    Yeah but deals would suck. Remember, they'd still have a salary cap. So that RB with 20 mil left on his deal would be on it even though he was cut and couldn't get on a roster 2 years ago.

Basically instead of a 5 year 72 million dollar deal with 38 mil guaranteed, you'd get 3 years and 38 million.

The only thing missing would be the chance of the player to get those last high pay years on that deal if it has them by playing well.

vCash
    The NHL players can't hold out because their CBA prevents their contracts from being renegotiated. All leagues are different and what's going on in the NFL is likely to have little or no impact.
    Bachelors III . . . In the Inn. . . Lanas Garage 4/18/75 . . . lpswitch with Snake, Hards and Mendy . . .B.D.W.B. . . Ambition: I want Dooleys Job . . . Saturday Night Live . . . Bathroom Brawls . . . Living at Snakes . . . WHERE IS MUSKY. - John Tortorella

vCash
    See I am different than some, but I think NFL contracts are the best of all 4 leagues. Fully guaranteed contracts are why baseball's salary structure is so screwed up.
    PSD's Muhammad Wilkerson!!!

vCash
    I don't see this alarming rate.

vCash
    NFL contracts aren't guaranteed if a player is 'under performing' their current contract a team can cut or release the player.. So I have no problem with NFL players who 'outperform' their current contract to get a new one.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ccugrad1 View Post
    See I am different than some, but I think NFL contracts are the best of all 4 leagues. Fully guaranteed contracts are why baseball's salary structure is so screwed up.
    Interesting take. Many fans want all sports to not have guaranteed contracts so the players never loaf. This new CBA was give and take though. I believe the players recognized their contracts were not guaranteed so to prevent risk of injury they negotiated less contact during practices. Now we get a subpar product b/c players don't practice as often while they appear to give it their all come game day.

"We have been watching and waiting, but I wouldn't say we intend to continue to do that. I think you watch and wait to try and assess a situation and act accordingly. It might involve more waiting. It might involve moving in one direction or another. We've done plenty of watching and waiting. If we can move in a particular direction, we might do that."

Sandy Alderson: 2011.

vCash
    How many players actually held out this year other than Lynch? IDK if this is actually true, but it seems like less players have held out this year than in those past.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast