Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Leafs sign Gardiner (5 years, $4.05 per)

Chris Johnston @reporterchris ∑ 1m
    Jake Gardiner has signed a $20.25M, five-year extension with the #leafs. Gives him a $4.05M AAV.

James Van Riemsdyk ($4.250m) / Tyler Bozak ($4.200m) / Phil Kessel ($8.000m)
    Joffrey Lupul ($5.250m) / Nazem Kadri ($2.900m) / David Clarkson ($5.250m)
    Leo Komarov ($2.950m) / Mike Santorelli ($1.500m) / Petri Kontiola ($1.100m)
    Daniel Winnik ($1.300m) / Peter Holland ($0.775m) / David Booth ($1.100m)
    Matt Frattin ($0.800m)

Dion Phaneuf ($7.000m) / Stephane Robidas ($3.000m)
    Jake Gardiner ($4.050m) / Roman Polak ($2.750m)
    Morgan Rielly ($0.894m) / Cody Franson ($3.300m)
    Petter Granberg ($0.800m) /

Jonathan Bernier ($2.900m)
    James Reimer ($2.300m)

------
    BUYOUTS
    Tim Gleason ($0.833m)
    RETAINED SALARIES (0.29% of upper limit)
    Carl Gunnarsson ($0.200mó6.35%)
    BONUS OVERAGE
    $450,000
    ------
    SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $67,852,500; BONUSES: $950,000
    CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,147,500
    Last edited by OptiMized; 07-29-2014 at 05:58 PM.

vCash
    Im good with this

vCash
    Me too.

Also... No NTC or NMC.

$4.05 million took up 6.3% of the cap last year. Takes up 5.9% this year. If the cap goes up another $5 million next year it will take up 5.5% of a $74 million cap (very modest increase with the TV deal coming in).

For reference, if we paid 5.5% of our cap to Gardiner last year. He would have earned $3.5 million for 13/14. I am a-Ok with this sort of deal.

And Freidge is on PTS right now talking about it. He said that after the reports came out about Gardiner being on the block, Carlyle called Nonis and told him it's too early to move him. Welcome to the core, Jake Gardiner!
    Last edited by OptiMized; 07-29-2014 at 06:12 PM.

vCash
    Scary deal like I said. Similar to a player like MDz who is worth nothing right now. He could go either way. I'd value him at 2M right now

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BranWingss View Post
    Scary deal like I said. Similar to a player like MDz who is worth nothing right now. He could go either way. I'd value him at 2M right now
    Really? I would say he is definitely 3 maybe 3.5. If he even got only marginally better and stayed that way I would be ok with this contract.

vCash
    I really don't see him as one though I watch less Leafs games than you. Watching him, he's frustrating. I personally think Reilly is better right now, more smooth, and all around a safer player. Toronto's defense really needs safe players as I watched Franson, Gardiner, and Reilly get absolutely exposed last year.

Im just not a Gardiner fan. I'm HUGE on Reilly.

vCash
    I really don't see him as one though I watch less Leafs games than you. Watching him, he's frustrating. I personally think Reilly is better right now, more smooth, and all around a safer player. Toronto's defense really needs safe players as I watched Franson, Gardiner, and Reilly get absolutely exposed last year.

Im just not a Gardiner fan. I'm HUGE on Reilly.
    Oh I'm with you Rielly, Kessel, and now Nylander are the only players I see on Toronto who can be special players, and maybe JVR.

Gardiner is better offensively than Rielly right now but not for long. If Gardiner can become reliable and decent on defense he is going to be just fine though.

vCash
    I feel the same way kind of, but thought he might get 2.5-2.8 on a bridge deal just to make him accept it. On a long term deal I am amazed that he's not over $5M per, if Rielly and him break out we are sitting damn pretty the next 4 or 5 years. Great deal but very surprised they got it done.
    If you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

vCash

Leafs sign Gardiner (5 years, $4.05 per)

I wanted a bridge deal at around 2-3 M for 2-3 years. This isn't a good deal by any means. What did Nonis buy? 2 years of his UFA status?

vCash
    Also rosters are 23 man rosters, not 22 so add another forward and all cap space is pretty much gone. I would still move Franson and then move Granberg to the 3rd pair with Percy being the 7th to start and then you open up about $2M in space.

vCash
    I don't see the point of Franson, Gardiner AND Reilly. That's just me. Defense really isn't fixed. Robidas could go either way. You have a low tier #1 and not one #2 or #3 defenseman after that.

I thought Gardiner was a massive disappointment last year personally. Toronto's defense is such a mess (Detroit's is too so don't take this as baiting).

Same time this team being talked about as a sure thing bottom feeder is laughable. They were in the playoffs for 3 quarters of the season.

Not big on Franson or Gardiner.

vCash
    I don't see the point of Franson, Gardiner AND Reilly. That's just me. Defense really isn't fixed. Robidas could go either way. You have a low tier #1 and not one #2 or #3 defenseman after that.

I thought Gardiner was a massive disappointment last year personally. Toronto's defense is such a mess (Detroit's is too so don't take this as baiting).

Same time this team being talked about as a sure thing bottom feeder is laughable. They were in the playoffs for 3 quarters of the season.

Gardiner can skate though unlike Franson. Gards was also a forward growing up so he still has a lot to learn in his own end. I think having Horachek and Spotter around will really help Gards and Rielly in that regard and help bring them along. I agree about our D though, with Gunner gone somebody needs to step it up big time or we're screwed.

vCash
    Jake Gardiner put up very good numbers playing 21 minutes a night(reg.stats and ad.stats). He locks down that 2nd pairing. Adding a solid guy like Polak on the right side (please god leave Franson on the 3rd pairing) and you could see value right away.

Locked up all through his early-prime. Eats up 2 UFA years, that costs a bit. Only issue for me is health, one bad leg injury or a recurring concussion issue could make this a bad deal. In 2-3 years this is going to be the market value for 2nd pair guys in the NHL. Might even be the standard now: http://capgeek.com/ufa-tracker?form_...D&date=onafter

How many of those guys would we take over Gardiner? Ehrhoff? Stralman? plus we have youth on our side.

vCash
    He's in like year 3 as a defenseman in the NHL. Speed or not hes bad atbpinching and has piss poor defensive positioning . He's a guy like Brendan Smith that had so much hope but hasn't been nearly as much as we hoped. With that said, Smith sucks and Gardiner, while flawed, is a serviceable NHL player

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TO Rapz View Post
    I wanted a bridge deal at around 2-3 M for 2-3 years. This isn't a good deal by any means. What did Nonis buy? 2 years of his UFA status?
    2 years is a lot. When Jake would have been a UFA (3 years) he could have hit the open market. Instead he gets $4.05 million for 2 years AFTER he could have been a UFA. Imagine signing a 27 year old 3/4 defenseman to a 2 year $4 million per deal. It doesn't happen. I posted a link of the UFA defenseman that signed this year.

Except depth was a big issue. Bumping Franson down to the 3rd pairing could do wonders for him. Gardiner thrives when given a lot of ice time. Polak is a slight downgrade on Gunnarsson. And idk what to expect of Robidas but if paired with Dion they will be solid.

Dion - Robidas
    Gardiner - Polak
    Rielly - Franson

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Gunnarsson - Dion
    Gardiner - Franson
    Rielly - Gleason
    Ranger

This offseason has been all about addressing the Leafs big issue: depth. Some nice moves going down to make sure players aren't playing out of their comfort zone. As JaysLeafs said, Gardiner is still learning. When the team shutdown last year during a bad losing streak the sole bright spot was Gardiner and his play all over the place. And he learned to shoot lol.

3 years ago: 79 shot pace
    2 years ago: 82 shot pace
    1 year ago : 136 shot pace

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast