Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Should the Yankees aggressively pursue Rusney Castillo?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!!

13 68.42%
  • No!!

1 5.26%
  • Indifferent

5 26.32%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Official Rusney Castillo Thread

*Since he's been heavily connected to the Yankees, he deserves his own thread*

Rusney Castillo
    5'9 - 180 lbs
    B / T -- R / R
    27 Years Old
    OF - Cuba

After a showcase on Saturday at the University of Miami, the market for 27-year-old Cuban free agent Rusney Castillo is beginning to shape itself, with a contract likely coming in the next two weeks.

According to conversations with several sources, Castillo has private showcases scheduled with at least three teams: the Red Sox, Yankees and Phillies.

Source: http://www.baseballamerica.com/inter...sney-castillo/

Yankees sent 4 guys to watch Castillo's showcase:

The Yankees’ witnesses included director of international scouting Donny Rowland, international crosscheckers Gordon Blakeley and Dennis Woody and professional scout Jay Darnell.

In an interview with The Post, with Roc Nation Sports president Juan Perez interpreting, Castillo said his best tool “has always been the offense, speed.” The scouts agreed.
    One projected Castillo could make between $25 million and $35 million, “although I’m usually low.”
    A second conceded that Castillo could get into Puig’s territory, given that so many teams now gotten a good look at him.

Source: http://nypost.com/2014/07/26/cuban-d...es-yanks-host/
    He had a showcase a few days ago in Miami which impressed both scouts and coaches.

CORAL GABLES, Fla.—Cuban defector Rusney Castillo, 27, is a prime example of what makes scouting so difficult.

The free-agent outfielder worked out for two hours and 45 minutes—minus countless water breaks and wardrobe changes—in blistering heat at the University of Miami on Saturday.

Between scouts, reporters, handlers and others, there were well over 100 people at Mark Light Stadium, and all of them had their eyes trained on the 5-foot-9, 205-pound Castillo.
    Some more info from the showcase:

THE SPRINT

Castillo ran the 60-yard dash somewhere between 6.4 seconds and 6.5, depending on which scout you asked. Castillo gave a slight “deke” before he started his sprint, which threw off some stop-watches.

Either way, though, Castillo is a plus runner by consensus of various scouts.

On a 20-80 scale, one scout gave Castillo the highest possible grade, which seemed a bit overstated. On the other end of the spectrum, another scout had Castillo a 60 runner who happened to run a 70 time on this day.

Let’s meet in the middle and say Castillo is a 70 runner, but another scout pointed out that “running in a straight line is not the same thing as running the bases. I would have liked to have seen him run out of the batter’s box or go from first to third.”

It’s a good point, and it again shows that there’s only so much you can learn from a workout as opposed to watching him for several games in a season. These scouts, though, did not have that latter luxury.

OUTFIELD THROWS

Castillo started out in right field, fielding base hits and firing to third base. He then took base hits and threw home. All his throws were on a line and hit the mark on the fly or on one hop.

However, by the time he charged those base hits, he was in medium to shallow right field.

“He has a 50 arm,” said one scout. “It’s an average big league arm. He could be used in all three outfield spots in a pinch, but his arm plays more like a left fielder.”

Added another scout after the entire workout was over: “His arm is his weakest tool.”

FIELDING

This might be the toughest area to judge Castillo if all you have to go on is this workout. Most every ball was hit right at him, and the only one that would have presented a challenge—a ball hit to left-center—Castillo did not chase after his handlers told him to stay put, probably not wanting him to overexert himself.

Still, this did not please one scout. “If I just came from Cuba and was trying to get to the big leagues, I would have chased that ball down and put it in my back pocket,” the scout said.

BATTING PRACTICE

Next, Castillo took to the batting cages to loosen up his swing. Taking under-hand tosses from one of his handlers, Castillo showed a natural lift to his hacks, upper-cutting balls with force.

After a few minutes in the cage, Castillo took three rounds of batting practice on the field. This is where he made his biggest impression.

“After his second round of batting practice, I would have stopped right there because I didn’t think he could improve on that,” one scout said. “But he did.”

Even the scout who was critical of him for not going for that batted ball in the left-center gap was impressed with his hitting.

“I like him,” the scout said. “He’s a major league player.”

HITTING LIVE

After batting practice, Castillo hit live against 6-foot-3 righthander Nate Carter, 22, who was 4-1, 1.54 with eight saves for Division II Florida Southern this past season.

Carter, who said he throws between 89 and 94 mph, said he used his fastball and curve against Castillo.

“I tried to throw strikes to give him a chance to show what he could do,” Carter said. “But I wanted to throw quality strikes.”

Carter was asked how well he thought Castillo did with his pitches. “He’s a great hitter,” Carter said. “I threw some fastballs at the knees on the outside corner, and he hit them over the fence or close to it.”

Castillo took 16 cuts, missing two and fouling off eight. Of the six he hit fair, only one was a likely out, a couple of shots were off the wall and a couple went over the fence.

SHORTSTOP DEFENSE

Castillo took 20 ground balls at shortstop and didn’t miss any, although he did skip one throw past the first baseman for what would have been an error.

He looked hesitant at the start but then seemed to get more comfortable. He got rid of the ball quickly when tossing to second to start a double play. Castillo ended his workout by charging a slow roller and tossing across his body to first base.

“What more do you want?” one of his handlers yelled at no one in particular, his voice equal parts defiance and celebratory.

It was a nice way to end the workout, but it likely didn’t mean much. Castillo is an outfielder, not an infielder, although back in the 2009-10 season in Cuba he played 26 games at second base and seven at third before moving to the outfield full-time. He can run—no one argues that—and his value will ultimately be determined by what scouts think of his bat.Source: http://www.baseballamerica.com/inter...miami-workout/
    Other random info from showcase:

Nearly every MLB team has eyes on Cuban defector and outfield prospect Rusney Castillo. According to FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal, 28 teams and "approximately 100 baseball officials" were there to see the prospect in anticipation of him becoming available, as NBC's Hardball Talk says, "by the end of the season."

The showcase was entirely choreographed, complete with a college baseball player brought in for batting practice telling BA, "I tried to throw strikes to give him a chance to show what he could do, But I wanted to throw quality strikes."

Catillo's workout ended with the center fielder attempting to play shortstop, but with his plus-speed and, according to Baseball America, "league average arm," his more likely position is left field.

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2014/7/2...mlb-miami-cuba
    Baseball America's Castillo Video:

*Make sure to vote on the poll..*
    Yankees - Jets - Rockets

vCash
    If his long term profile is left field, I'm not really sure if he makes a ton of sense for us.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rylinkus View Post
    If his long term profile is left field, I'm not really sure if he makes a ton of sense for us.
    Is arm strength really that much of a hindrance though? That might be the least valuable defensive skill.
    Yankees - Jets - Rockets

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nyyfan4life:28858278
    Is arm strength really that much of a hindrance though? That might be the least valuable defensive skill.
    There's certainly things that a player can do to get around that for sure. Effectively charging the ball and having a quick release are just two examples of something a player can do to mitigate a lack of arm strength.

Still, it's disappointing that he's not really a shortstop. If he could play that position his value to us would be that much greater. Still if they think he can bring enough value with the bat I wouldn't mind him as a RF. Swisher was decent enough as a RF with us without having a strong arm. Granted, he was never a defensive wiz, but he hit more than enough to mask his defensive deficiencies. Based on that article, it seems pretty hard to evaluate Castillo's defense solely on that workout, but he seems to have good enough speed to cover some ground in the OF. If he can provide enough value with his bat to overcome any defensive deficit I'd still go for him as a RF.

vCash
    If he doesn't profile as a capable enough SS then I don't think he makes too much sense for us IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Haha View Post
    What I feel right now is like the satisfaction you feel when a highly judgmental, moralistic televangelist gets caught screwing a male hooker.
    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Trill Team

vCash
    I am thinking what an outfield of Gardner - Ellsbury - Castillo would look like.

And I like it.

Beltran is certainly not worth reps in Right-Field and his legs are less and less likely to survive sustained fielding over the next two (!) years of this contract.

Castillo is a 27-year old version of Brett Gardner who exchanged a bit of speed for a bit of power.

Opening day the Yankees will have one of Tulo, Hardy, or Hanley manning short-stop. Pirela and Refsynder are both solid internal options for second and Alex is going to take third back over, perhaps shared with Headley if they keep him on.

We need a young and talented MLB-ready player.

If we sign Castillo and he pans out that also frees us to package some of our more promising outfield prospects for an impact trade.

And he costs nothing but the money.

Sign him.
    We’re pointing out that these statistics breed false narratives, and we value the truth. This isn’t about replacing old numbers with new numbers, or attempting to dissuade anyone from enjoying the aesthetics of the game. It is simply about telling the average fan about the reality of what actually happened on the field. The “Holy Trinity” of baseball statistics fail at this most basic task, and so they are not worth deifying any longer. - Dave Cameron

vCash
    Lol. I remember when people said we didn't need Abreu, because we had a first baseman. I said then, if he's legit, sign him. And I say that now. I have no idea if he is, but if he is talent and it costs money, sign him. We will find a spot.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Laying Low View Post
    Lol. I remember when people said we didn't need Abreu, because we had a first baseman. I said then, if he's legit, sign him. And I say that now. I have no idea if he is, but if he is talent and it costs money, sign him. We will find a spot.
    I just worry that we're going to poorly allocate funds and then have the front office cheap out on the rotation and middle infield.
    Last edited by Rylinkus; 07-29-2014 at 02:06 PM.

vCash
    We lack middle of the order hitters in the lineup. We're locked into Tex at 1B for 3 more years,. Beltran at RF/DH for 2 more years. SS is open, but unless we trade for Tulo where are you getting one that hits in the middle of the order? Ref might be the answer at 2B but he's not a middle of the order guy either and with Cano gone we're really not going to find one for 2B. A-Rod might be back at 3B but what can we expect from him right now? Gardner and Ellsbury are locked in at CF and LF - neither is a middle of the order guy in an ideal world. If we sign Castillo and he's the RF, then Beltran has to DH. We still need middle of the order production and we have no way to get it other than to hope for A-Rod to come back strong.

If he can play SS or even 2B, fine. But if he's an OF I'd rather keep that spot open to add a hitter that addresses our lineup needs better.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Haha View Post
    What I feel right now is like the satisfaction you feel when a highly judgmental, moralistic televangelist gets caught screwing a male hooker.
    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Trill Team

vCash
    I just worry that we're going to poorly allocate funds and then have the front office cheap out on the rotation and middle infield.
    They will or won't, likely regardless of whether we signed this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    We lack middle of the order hitters in the lineup. We're locked into Tex at 1B for 3 more years,. Beltran at RF/DH for 2 more years. SS is open, but unless we trade for Tulo where are you getting one that hits in the middle of the order? Ref might be the answer at 2B but he's not a middle of the order guy either and with Cano gone we're really not going to find one for 2B. A-Rod might be back at 3B but what can we expect from him right now? Gardner and Ellsbury are locked in at CF and LF - neither is a middle of the order guy in an ideal world. If we sign Castillo and he's the RF, then Beltran has to DH. We still need middle of the order production and we have no way to get it other than to hope for A-Rod to come back strong.

If he can play SS or even 2B, fine. But if he's an OF I'd rather keep that spot open to add a hitter that addresses our lineup needs better.
    Again, you sign the talent we can get. Who is this middle of the order bat you want to target for right field long term? There is no one obvious, and maybe no one period. Sign what you can. If he is legit, you can trade Gardner if a power bat becomes available. There are always options.

vCash
    I say take a chance, alexei ramirez was an outfielder too who was converted into a shortstop. not saying its going to be the same because castillo is bulkier but wont hurt to try.

Remember we have Jeter at SS now, almost anything is an improvement.

If not SS then 2nd base.. Regardless we need a RF/SS/2nd… castillo can help

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by xXx J0SE 21 xXx View Post
    I say take a chance, alexei ramirez was an outfielder too who was converted into a shortstop. not saying its going to be the same because castillo is bulkier but wont hurt to try.

Remember we have Jeter at SS now, almost anything is an improvement.

If not SS then 2nd base.. Regardless we need a RF/SS/2nd… castillo can help
    We currently have inhouse options at 2nd moving forward. SS, not so much?

vCash
    Ben Badler says the Gardner comp for Castillo is not true. Says his approach is very different.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rylinkus:28860032
    null
    Ref can play RF as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by xXx J0SE 21 xXx View Post
    Ref can play RF as well.
    I'm not a fan of RFer with a weakish arm. And I would hope one of our OFers could provide some actual power.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast