Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Post Seattle and Louisville expansion teams after new TV deal?

The New TV Deal: Much has been made about the possibilities of massive economic expansion in the NBA tied to on-going TV rights negotiations. While all parties involved are keeping these talks close to the vest there are a few things that have come out as these discussions have taken place.

It seems ESPN/ABC and Turner Sports will renew with the NBA, although there are some things that look like they may change.

There is a sense that the NBA Finals will be split up among ESPN/ABC and Turner, giving Turner potential the mid-week games, while ESPN/ABC gets the weekend games.

The current rights package pays the NBA some $940 million per year, with Turner paying some $445 million per year with ESPN/ABC paying and estimated $485 million. Those figures are expected to almost double in a new deal with some estimates pegging the new deals to be worth $1.2 to $1.4 billion annually.

The wrinkle that may really drive the value up is a third partner. There has been considerable talk that Fox Sports 1 may be closing in on securing a rights deal for what insiders are calling NBA Saturday, which is a package of Saturday night games, which could add an additional $250 to $300 million to the total.

There has also been some talk that a new rights package may also include domestic expansion options, should the NBA decide to make that move.

It’s important to take all expansion talk with a grain of salt, but J Bruce Miller a Louisville attorney, who is leading the charge to land a NBA team in Louisville wrote a substantial post for a Facebook campaign geared around bringing the NBA to Louisville. In the letter, Miller immediately denounces the idea of expansion in the immediate future, citing the ongoing mess with the Clippers, however implies that after the Donlad Sterling mess is resolved, potential expansion into new markets could add new value to the TV deal and that Seattle and Louisville are on the radar.

Again, take all expansion talk with a grain of salt.

NBA sources have warned that expansion domestically is something of a pipe dream, mainly because what gets put in terms of an expansion fee is usually never greater than what a new member team takes out of the pie, and that given how long it takes a team to ramp up sales and revenue generation, expansion simply puts one more mouth at the table that usually does not carry its own weight.

Given what a new share of the TV deal could be worth, the existing 30 owners may not be willing to share the wealth to the expand the league, but it does seem like there could be some language in the new TV deal to allow for it and that’s a huge first step.
    http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nb...bjZ7EUEv4bF.99

Hard to say if all 30 teams wanna share piece of the pie. But a lot of teams would love a expansion draft to dump bad contracts for free.

vCash
    No more expansion teams. Enough teams in the league

vCash
    Dont expansion teams get to choose who they want in the expansion draft? So why would they just take a bunch of bad contracts?

vCash
    i get ky is college bball mad,but i dunno if its a big enough market to support a major team ,and have concerns that talent pool isnt deep enough to support expansion

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bleedprple&gold View Post
    Dont expansion teams get to choose who they want in the expansion draft? So why would they just take a bunch of bad contracts?
    I believe all teams dump two players they don't want into expansion draft pool. Rest are protected from selections. Most players are old and washed up or injured or over paid. So instead of teams mortgaging future first round picks to dump players. Good old Seattle/Louisville come taking the junk for free.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bleedprple&gold View Post
    no,every team gets to protect 8 players and expansion teams pick from the unprotected pool

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by abe_froman View Post
    i get ky is college bball mad,but i dunno if its a big enough market to support a major team ,and have concerns that talent pool isnt deep enough to support expansion
    I wouldn't worry about a diluted talent pool. NBA been diluted since 1989. A lot of teams been added 89' and on. Not gonna name names. But here's a link when teams were added.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/

vCash
    Talent pool isn't an issue if they could limit teams from having three stars playing together somehow. But since the truck is being driven by the players, adding two more expansion teams will simply create two more have nots. Though I could see Louisville being a very successful franchise.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MILLERHIGHLIFE View Post
    I wouldn't worry about a diluted talent pool. NBA been diluted since 1989. A lot of teams been added 89' and on. Not gonna name names. But here's a link when teams were added.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/
    i know that and it diluted the league for a while after

vCash
    Like the article say 30 teams might not wanna share piece of the pie. But what if the league said starting bids for city buy ins start at $1B for auction? Watch a city like Vegas cough up $3B. Then I bet NBA owners say sure you can play. I know players union would say yes cause that's possibly 30 more players added to the league. Since each roster can have a max up to 15 players. Also remember NBA only has 30 teams. NFL has 32 teams.

vCash
    Diluted my @$$. More opportunity for some NBA players to prove their talent. I have no doubt there are some bench players who could be potential all-stars but aren't given the opportunity.

vCash
    Bring back the KC Kings

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FlashBolt View Post
    Diluted my @$$. More opportunity for some NBA players to prove their talent. I have no doubt there are some bench players who could be potential all-stars but aren't given the opportunity.
    Which bench players are you thinking of?

vCash
    Nba should do this.

Eliminate conferences and horizontal divisions.

Add 10 Teams to round up to 40.

Divide the league in TWO vertical divisions of 20.

The top 8 teams in the regular season from the first división enter the playoffs for the title.
    the bottwom 2 teams get relegated to second división for the following season.

The top team in the regular season in the second división gets promoted to first división AND gets the 1st pick in the draft.

the teams seeded 2-9 in teh second división enter playoffs, the winner gets promoted to first división AND gets the second pick in the draft.

Draft:

1 winner of second división of regular season.
    2 winner of playoffs second división.

3 to 32 the rest of the second división teams + first división NON PLAYOFF teams enter a lottery with EQUAL ODDS.

33-40 first división playoff teams in relation record.

41-60 second división teams from worst record to best record
    61-80 first división teams from worst record to best record.

yeah, ladies and gentlemen i just got rid of tanking FOREVER:

vCash
    There are barely 40 teams combined between the NBA and the D-league, that's a terrible idea

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast