Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Miguel Cotto back with Top Rank and hires Freddie Roach as trainer

Former three-division titleholder Miguel Cotto, one of boxing's biggest stars, has made two big changes as he looks to end a two-fight losing streak. He is switching trainers and returning to the promoter that helped make him a star and guided him to his world titles.

"I will be back in the ring on Oct. 5 on HBO with Top Rank and [with trainer] Freddie Roach in my corner," Cotto announced on Twitter on Saturday night.

Cotto is likely to face perennial contender Delvin Rodriguez in the junior middleweight bout, although the deal has not been finalized.

Top Rank president Todd duBoef and Cotto adviser Gaby Penagaricano both told ESPN.com that the fight will take place in Florida, at either Marlins Stadium, where Major League Baseball's Miami Marlins play, or the Amway Center in Orlando, the home arena for the NBA's Orlando Magic.

Cotto (37-4, 30 KOs), 32, of Puerto Rico, will train with Roach at his Wild Card Gym in Hollywood, Calif., rather than in Puerto Rico or Florida, where he usually trains. In hiring the Hall of Fame cornerman, Cotto has parted ways with Pedro Diaz, the former Cuban amateur team coach who trained Cotto for his past three bouts.
    http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id...turns-top-rank

I thought for sure he was going to GBP to fight Ortiz. Guess he'll get back on track then. I can see a Martinez fight late next year since they are both HBO fighters now.

vCash
    Cotto probably realized he has no clue what he's doing with his career or his promotional company and now knows how good top rank was for him.

vCash
    Cotto has sure been switching trainers a lot lately. Hopefully him and Roach are a good fit.

vCash
    I feel that's his way to pass on the blame when he has a bad performance in a win or if he loses.

vCash
    Cotto is actualy quite a a-hole, he doesn't like people and people don't seem to like him very much. I'm sure most trainer splits when it comes to him are mutual.

vCash
    That's crazy, I never thought of Cotto as the a-hole type. I always thought Cotto looked pretty good under Emanuel Steward in that fight with Yuri Foreman. No idea why Cotto dumped him after one fight and a fight he won. I remember Emanuel was even shocked.

vCash
    Cotto wanted more attention but Steward didn't want to take time away from Klitschko.

A small town called nunya god damn bidness
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vikes_Fan04 View Post
    That's crazy, I never thought of Cotto as the a-hole type. I always thought Cotto looked pretty good under Emanuel Steward in that fight with Yuri Foreman. No idea why Cotto dumped him after one fight and a fight he won. I remember Emanuel was even shocked.
    He is. I asked him for a pic inside the MGM last year and he dissed me... ended up shaking my hand though, but still.