Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Wrap it up boys. The party is over, and we are going to be in a new Era soon.

The David Ortiz era. We had some good and bad times. 3 world series championships in a 10 year span is pretty good. But now we are getting to the point where David can't carry the offense alone anymore, which means it's time to begin a new era. For those of you who say "we can fix it with FA", we can't. There is no game changing hitter that will be an FA next season. I can't predict what we could to do in the next couple of years, but I believe for next season. I believe that our core should be Pedroia and XB, and the we go after Max Scherzer, in what would be a Pedro Martinez type move.

Also sorry about the bad spelling. Using my phone for internet
    Last edited by j-bay; 07-26-2014 at 05:49 PM.

PAPI SMASH!

vCash
    There's just so much wrong with this. Let's see...

Pedroia is clearly in decline. His OPS+ has dropped three years in a row (including this one). His value is increasingly tied to his defense. How does that become the core around which to replace Ortiz... especially since he is already a contemporary with Ortiz?

Picking XB to be part of the next wave... pretty gutsy move.

And how does Scherzer fit into fixing what's wrong with the current Sox team -- a team that pitches well but fails to support it with offense (courtesy of the declining Ortiz)? Um, he doesn't.

More importantly, the "Pedro Martinez type move" with Scherzer was already accomplished when DET picked him up the then 25yr old Scherzer from ARI in a 3 team swap (NYY the other player). Pedro was also 25 when the Sox picked him up via trade from the Expos (er, Nationals for you) for Carl Pavano and a PTBNL (Tony Armas Jr). Pedro was a bit more established at the time of the deal.

How can the Sox pull off such a move with an almost 30yr old Scherzer who is about to be a FA? It certainly can't be a "Pedro Martinez type move" but do you really think that a 30-something Scherzer can be that kind of guy for 6-7yrs? And that the Sox would commit $150+M/6yr to him when they wouldn't commit fewer years and dollars to their home grown talent who WANTS to be in BOS?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSoxtober View Post
    There's just so much wrong with this. Let's see...

Pedroia is clearly in decline. His OPS+ has dropped three years in a row (including this one). His value is increasingly tied to his defense. How does that become the core around which to replace Ortiz... especially since he is already a contemporary with Ortiz?

Picking XB to be part of the next wave... pretty gutsy move.

And how does Scherzer fit into fixing what's wrong with the current Sox team -- a team that pitches well but fails to support it with offense (courtesy of the declining Ortiz)? Um, he doesn't.

More importantly, the "Pedro Martinez type move" with Scherzer was already accomplished when DET picked him up the then 25yr old Scherzer from ARI in a 3 team swap (NYY the other player). Pedro was also 25 when the Sox picked him up via trade from the Expos (er, Nationals for you) for Carl Pavano and a PTBNL (Tony Armas Jr). Pedro was a bit more established at the time of the deal.

How can the Sox pull off such a move with an almost 30yr old Scherzer who is about to be a FA? It certainly can't be a "Pedro Martinez type move" but do you really think that a 30-something Scherzer can be that kind of guy for 6-7yrs? And that the Sox would commit $150+M/6yr to him when they wouldn't commit fewer years and dollars to their home grown talent who WANTS to be in BOS?

I can see where I got some stuff wrong. I know Pedroia wouldn't be a power hitter. Like I said I can't predict what's is going to happen.
    As for Scherzer, I thought he was younger. I thought he was till I looked up his age. Never mind.

PAPI SMASH!

vCash
    /Thread
    /Thread Posting Abilities
    /User Account
    /Life

vCash
    This thread is what's wrong with America.
    WTA's Next Rising Superstar - #7 in the World

Montreal's Sweetheart Eugenie Bouchard

Go Genie Go!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bo Sox Fan View Post
    This thread is what's wrong with America.
    I get its a bad idea cut it out.

vCash
    Haven't you heard Sabermetrics is going to save us

This year was a result of relying a bit to much on some of our younger players , a good free agent signing period, and wise trading and we can compete again next year
    YES

vCash
    Don't expect to contend for the next several years...ownership is cheaping out and hoping young guys will "learn" how to play...so get used to sucking and no October baseball the next 5 years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Patsfreak1776 View Post
    Don't expect to contend for the next several years...ownership is cheaping out and hoping young guys will "learn" how to play...so get used to sucking and no October baseball the next 5 years.
    With the farm, the budget, and the fans not maxing out unless the team is winning, I see several playoff appearances between '16-'20 inclusive.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Patsfreak1776 View Post
    i wouldn't really say that they're cheaping out so much as they are trying to be smarter with their money. The Pedroia deal was a good one, for instance.

Also keep in mind that the redsox aren't the only business that Henry and Co has to run. They also have Liverpool (among other stuff), which is a much, much bigger team/market on the worldwide stage.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by xnick5757 View Post
    Also keep in mind that the redsox aren't the only business that Henry and Co has to run. They also have Liverpool (among other stuff), which is a much, much bigger team/market on the worldwide stage.
    Please. Concerns were considerably higher when the Sox were pushing the envelope on the luxury tax the last few years and Liverpool was a second tier team in the EPL. Ownership made very clear then that, while there is an umbrella ownership group, each entity runs as an individual business that is not related to the other. They were able to invest in Liverpool's run to a top 3 finish despite record payroll in Boston. This is just a revisited argument from the last three years that has already proven itself false.

It also ignores the fact that payroll is down 12% this year and currently has only half of the current payroll on the books for next year. The team has more than enough payroll flexibility.