Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Pete Rose on Jeter

Anyone else see this article?

http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/...my_record.html

My favorite excerpt: "The only difference between me and Jeter, other than 800 hits or so, is I played five positions and he played one."

1. What a prick.

2. Is that 5 position crap supposed to be a slight towards Jeter? Jeter played the most demanding position on the field for his entire career because Joe Torre and Girardi never needed to move him to the OF or 1B like they did with Rose. Obviously Jeter's defensive prowess at SS has left something to be desired in recent years but come on. What a ridiculous comment to make.

vCash
    The other difference is Jeter will be in the Hall of fame

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by runnermjr1296 View Post
    love it

vCash
    Pete rose should be in the hall as well. It's an absolute joke that he isn't

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    Pete rose should be in the hall as well. It's an absolute joke that he isn't
    He did bet on baseball, which there are signs all over the club houses saying betting on baseball is against the rules . I do agree he should be in hall, but they'll probably wait til he's dead

vCash
    I don't particularly care passionately, but I'd personally be fine with Rose never entering the HOF. He committed, in my estimation, THE cardinal sin. He was found to, and later admittedly to, have bet on Reds games every night. A set of conflicts would exist even if he truly had always bet on his team, but I just find that a bit of naivete is required to believe he did. He either bet against his own team on occasion or was a horrible gambler (I sense he was addicted to the point winning a bet superseded all else). No proof... Just my feelings on Rose and my perception of the situation.

vCash
    For what it's worth, Rose at the very least belongs in the same sentence as Jeter. Of course it would be a lot classier if Pete wasn't the person uttering it....

vCash
    I don't think short stop is the most demanding position. I would say that would go to Catcher.

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    vCash
    I thought he was very respectful towards jeter. If you were lucky enough to see rose play, he was a hyper competitive, mean, hard nosed, cocky SOB. He's always been gruff as hell.

I think if he had not been an azz hole about it and also apologized sooner, he would be in the hall.

My opinion for what it's worth, regarding him in the hall is this; although his crime was one of the worst, it didn't directly improve his performance the way peds do. Rose earned his numbers and I think is more deserving than bonds or McGwire.
    I would like to see him in the hall.

As Jets fans, we act like this Jet is either taking off to new heights or crashing to the ground. There is never a normal ride with some turbulence.

vCash
    I think bonds clemens etc should all be in as well. As should arod Manny etc but it won't ever happen. Put an asterisk next to their names, but leaving out the best of each generation is a mistake imo. It's still baseball history

vCash
    First... Pete Rose should be in the hall... the rule that prevents banished players was implimented AFTER Pete was banished... As far as I am concerned... Cooperstown is a country club until he's enshrined...

Still, Pete played so many positions, not because he sucked.. (was was an all-Star at most of them that he played), but because they had good players coming up... much like Micheal Young in Texas.. Moved from 2nd to SS to accomadate Soriano, then from SS to 3rd for Andrus.. then to a DH, Utility guy for Beltre... Rose was in the same situation.. moved around making space for guys.. some of whom are now in the HOF themselves...

The Yankees have NEVER had that problem with SS... they have not had a decent one come up through the system since Derek... (and still have no sign of one on the horizon not that he'll be retiring soon either)...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by runnermjr1296 View Post
    That's a safe bet.

vCash
    Your looking way to far into it. He's the all time hits leader so he has a right to consider himself a great one of the best. He simply said the only difference between them which is no slight on jeter he said they were very similar.
    Jeter just couldn't get enough at bats to catch him along with the injury last year.

He saying how hard it is to stay healthy and even get a chance to get 4000 hits when things get harder as you age.

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemoes View Post
    Your looking way to far into it. He's the all time hits leader so he has a right to consider himself a great one of the best. He simply said the only difference between them which is no slight on jeter he said they were very similar.
    Jeter just couldn't get enough at bats to catch him along with the injury last year.

He saying how hard it is to stay healthy and even get a chance to get 4000 hits when things get harder as you age.
    Well stated and spot on

As Jets fans, we act like this Jet is either taking off to new heights or crashing to the ground. There is never a normal ride with some turbulence.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    I think bonds clemens etc should all be in as well. As should arod Manny etc but it won't ever happen. Put an asterisk next to their names, but leaving out the best of each generation is a mistake imo. It's still baseball history
    Those lowlifes and a few dozen others should not be allowed in MLB ballparks. H.O.F. ? You gotta be joking. Bunch of cheaters, liars and law breakers. If they make it into the Hall they can put bloody syringes in the display along with their bats, gloves, uniforms etc.

I want to puke every time I see Mark McGwire in the dugout.
    He should be forced to make a public apology to the Maris family and then promise never to go to another game.

Did it ever cross your mind that they would not be the best of their generation if they did not take the drugs? Yeah, yeah, I know....they were great without the drugs and the drugs just prolonged their careers a bit.

Anyone who believes that is a dope.
    'Real' Yankee fans tell the truth about the team whether it is nice or not.

"Well, that kind of puts a damper on even a Yankee win."
    -- Yankees announcer Phil Rizzuto after reading a bulletin that Pope Paul VI had died

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast