Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Hall of Fame lowers players' time on ballot from 15 to 10 years.

Players used to be able to stay on the ballot for 15 years.
    Now it's only 10.

I actually think that this is a good idea. Or half of one.

I don't really see the reason for such a long time on the ballot. Do players get better as they get farther from retirement? No. If they are a hall of famer they are a hall of famer on the day they retire and they are a hall of famer on the first day that they are eligible.

The problem with this new rule is it comes at the worst possible time. Writers can only put ten names on the ballot. There's already a glut of worthy players eligible for the hall. This just makes it harder for them to get in.

The new rule, coupled with an elimination of a maximum number of names on the ballot, would have been a sensible thing to do. But when has any business associated with the sport of baseball consistently done anything sensible?
    Donít argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. óGreg King

vCash
    Dumb rule. 15 years is enough time to allow for a major shift in thinking on a player's value...10 years, not so much. It's like they did it so all of the old farts can keep steroid era players out of the hall of fame before they die.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymfan87 View Post
    Dumb rule. 15 years is enough time to allow for a major shift in thinking on a player's value...10 years, not so much. It's like they did it so all of the old farts can keep steroid era players out of the hall of fame before they die.
    I believe all those guys will still get 15 years on the ballot.
    Donít argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. óGreg King

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by filihok View Post
    I believe all those guys will still get 15 years on the ballot.
    The guys already on will, but what about the guys just coming on the ballot now?

vCash
    The guys already on will, but what about the guys just coming on the ballot now?
    10 years

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by filihok View Post
    10 years
    That's what I mean though. There are plenty of guys not on the ballot yet that might not get into the HoF because of the old timers that want to stick their heads in the sand and pretend PED's didn't exist in baseball until the late 90's.

Dmac is offline Moderator Cullen Bohannon
    vCash
    That's what I mean though. There are plenty of guys not on the ballot yet that might not get into the HoF because of the old timers that want to stick their heads in the sand and pretend PED's didn't exist in baseball until the late 90's.
    Who are the known steroid players that aren't on the ballot already that would be effected by this rule? All the top names are already on it.

I think the rule is fine. Ten years is plenty of time to get in. I do agree that writers should be able to vote in as many as they want.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmac View Post
    Who are the known steroid players that aren't on the ballot already that would be effected by this rule? All the top names are already on it.

I think the rule is fine. Ten years is plenty of time to get in. I do agree that writers should be able to vote in as many as they want.
    A-Rod, Pedro Martinez, Griffey Jr., Edmonds, Pudge, Manny, Thome, Beltre, Beltran, Andruw Jones, Scott Rolen. All of those guys could have their HoF chances hurt by the current voting pool.

vCash
    Majority of those guys aren't known steroid users.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    Majority of those guys aren't known steroid users.
    Neither are Craig Biggio, Jeff Bagwell, Mike Piazza, or Curt Schilling, but all of them are treated as steroid users by the voters.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmac View Post

yeah, well if your going to reduce the amount of time a player can be on the ballot than you should increase the number of votes they get.

vCash
    I like the 10 years and really like the ballots being made public.

vCash
    Public ballots are a great idea, like the new 10 yr. rule as well.
    Favourite Teams:

Boston Red Sox: 63-80, games this week vs. Orioles (3), Royals (4)
    Indianapolis Colts: 0-1, Week 2 vs. Eagles
    Minnesota Timberwolves: New team, hoping for good things this season.
    Ottawa Senators: 37-31-14, season over, free agency begins this week.

vCash
    Why is there no stickied HOF thread? Is my main man Barry Lamar getting in today or do I have to start flipping tables!?

Barry Lamar Bonds. .393/.967/1.054....on 3-0 counts.

lol, Please' top 10 p4p: Mayweather/Marquez/Pacquiao/Bradley/Cotto/Wlad/Rigondeaux/Froch/Canelo/Maidana

Boxing Fan? Come Discuss Boxing!

vCash
    Hmm...

Ariana Grande

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast