Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Training Camp News and Notes

- Jake Locker says that he has more responsibility than in the past with the offense. That he will be calling the plays in no huddle and changing protections at the line.

- Jake Locker on the low rankings in the media. "There were 4 games we were winning in the 4th quarter. Win 2 of them, 9-7. 2 were versus Colts. Win those we win the division."

- Jake Locker on going into contract year said he wasn't worried about his financial future that he has been smart with his money.

- Jason McCourty. "Its not fun switching coaches. Alot of us have no idea what to expect."

- Jason McCourty says that the defensive players have taken well to switching to a 3-4 defense.

- Wesley Woodyard appears to be the on-field playcaller for the defense and will probably be an every-down player. Says that he is excited to be playing next to Zach Brown who he feels can be a big playmaker in this defense.

- Whisenhunt says that they will need to see what they got in Bishop Sankey before figuring out where he fits with the offense. Says that Shonn Greene is coming back from injury nicely.

- Wesley Woodyard said that he heard things about Zach Brown coming onto the team that he had a reputation in the locker room. But after being around him his perception has changed and he is glad to be on the same team.

- Owner Tommy Smith says that he expects the team to compete with the Colts for the division doesn't expect anything less than a playoff game.

- Andy Levitre will be out for a couple weeks. Taylor Lewan to get reps at LT, RT and LG until Levitre comes back from surgery.

- Whisenhunt expects to do shuffling of offensive line throughout camp just to see what he has in each player. The centers will get snaps at center. But the others will get reps at LT, LG, RG and RT.

- Whisenhunt plans to really push the players in training camp after talking to players about the previous coaching staff. Several players mention that they were told to expect the toughest training camp they have seen in the NFL.

- Jurrell Casey says he doesn't know much about contract negotiations but that he would like to stay with the Titans everything works out.

- Avery Williamson is apparently the sleeper on the team as several players and coaches said he has really opened eyes with his work ethic and football IQ.

- Whisenhunt says that physically Justin Hunter and Chance Warmack had made the biggest gains since he came onboard. Says that Chance Warmack missed weight by 1 pound but was moving faster and more agile and thats all that matters.

- Whisenhunt said that he still needs to figure out the practice reps at Quarterback. That he wants Jake Locker getting most of the team reps but also wants the other guys to get some reps as well.

- Titans have a joint practice scheduled with the Atlanta Falcons August 4-5

vCash
    Notes from Today various sources (Tennessean and Twitter mostly)

- Justin Hunter and Dexter McCluster the bright spots on offense. Dexter McCluster broke off several big plays.

- Titans writer Terry McCormick said the offense looked more crisp and explosive than it has in years.

- Bernard Pollard looked solid on defense with a couple deflections and 2 interceptions on Jake Locker.

- Chance Warmack down in weight 326 from 332 last year. Had a rough 1st day of camp needed to come off for IV. But everybody is saying that he is faster and improved from last year.

- Marc Mariani had a good day making several big grabs.

- Zach Mettenberger impressed everybody with his arm strength several writers saying that he seemingly has more arm strength than any quarterback the Titans have had in years.

- Taylor Lewan seeing work at LT, LG and RT.

- Byron Stingily seeing 1st team reps at LT, LG, RG and RT.

- Titans have 11 PM curfew during training camp.

- When asked about depth chart Whisenhunt said don't think too much about it because he has so many players that will be playing multiple positions on both sides of the ball.

- Whisenhunt said he wants Stevens and Thompson to get more looks in the passing game. It looks like we will see more tight ends and our top 3 wide receivers on most downs because of depth at wide receiver.

- Whisenhunt says its gonna be hard to keep Lewan off the field he is such a great athlete.

- 1st team defense

DE Sammie Lee Hill
    DT Jurrell Casey
    DE Pitoitua
    OLB Wimbley
    MLB Brown
    MLB Woodyard
    OLB Morgan
    CB McCourty
    CB Sensabaugh
    S Michael Griffin
    S Bernard Pollard

- Antonio Andrews and Dexter McCluster impressed in running back drills with agility and acceleration respectively.

- Titans 1st team defense Pollard with 2 picks and McCourty, Wimbley and Brown all dropped sure INTs

- Justin Hunter with several big acrobatic catches.

- Testing Sensabaugh and Tommie Campbell in the passing game. Sensabaugh burned on a couple big plays by Hunter and Wright. Campbell burned a couple times by Mariani.

vCash
    Man, I'm so excited about the upcoming season. The QB battle should be interesting, though I still root for Locker to be our guy, I liked Zach coming out of college and I think he'll do good if he gets the opportunity. With Hunter and Wright, I have a lot of faith in that group of receivers. Add McCluster, and that's a pretty dynamic offense.

On defense, Woodyard playing next to Brown should be fun to watch. I hope Coty can step it up.

Anyway, keep the posts coming!

vCash
    This is the last season for Michael Roos.

Ken Whisenhunt said that they were giving Taylor Lewan reps at Left Guard so they could match him up against Jurrell Casey in practice. They want him getting used to going up against top level defensive linemen because thats what he will face at Left Tackle.

So they clearly intend on him being the Left Tackle and you don't use a 1st round pick on a guy to just stick him on the bench for the next 4 or 5 years. They won't be resigning Michael Roos the writing is on the wall.

- Jackie Battle got the 1st team reps at Fullback.

- Paul Kuharsky said that they seemed to be running bunch receiver sets most of the time when they were in 2-WR formations.

- Ray Horton said that the defense gave up too many deep passes on the day. Tommie Campbell and Sensabaugh both got beat deep a couple times.

- Jake Locker threw 3 picks but everybody seems to think that he was very sharp aside from those 3 passes.

- Alot of the 1st team positions will rotate daily. The RBs are gonna take turns. Battle/Mooney are gonna rotate. Probably every position on defense except Casey, Woodyard, McCourty and Safeties will rotate.

vCash
    I'm loving all the competition on the team this year. Sensabaugh and TC getting burned like that are bad signs. I've always liked Blidi to win that outside job, Sensabaugh is a perfect slot guy. I'm convinced TC will just never put it all together.

Lewan vs Casey must be awesome!! Happy Casey is in camp and not letting his extension talks distract him. Lock him up long term!!

vCash
    That first team defense has some real question marks on it. I realize it's early in camp and there are probably some things that will change but is there a reason Ayers isn't part of the starting linebacking corps? That really stuck out to me. Also, I think we're all hoping BWW earns the stopping job opposite McCourty, because I just don't have faith in Campbell or Sensabaugh.

Seeing that Warmack and Hunter have made big strides is a great sign. Those two guys were a tad underwhelming last season, but I know the potential's there, and if they could turn out to be above average starters, the future will just keep looking brighter and brighter for this offense. Let's just hope Locker can actually stay healthy for a change.

vCash
    Also, does anyone else find it a tad odd that Casey is at NT? He's pretty damn small to be a 3-4 NT.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    That first team defense has some real question marks on it. I realize it's early in camp and there are probably some things that will change but is there a reason Ayers isn't part of the starting linebacking corps? That really stuck out to me. Also, I think we're all hoping BWW earns the stopping job opposite McCourty, because I just don't have faith in Campbell or Sensabaugh.

Seeing that Warmack and Hunter have made big strides is a great sign. Those two guys were a tad underwhelming last season, but I know the potential's there, and if they could turn out to be above average starters, the future will just keep looking brighter and brighter for this offense. Let's just hope Locker can actually stay healthy for a change.
    I think Ayers recently had his knee scoped or something along those lines.

Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    Also, does anyone else find it a tad odd that Casey is at NT? He's pretty damn small to be a 3-4 NT.
    I think they have been moving him around at NT in some situations and DE in some situations.

vCash
    Yea I think they've been moving Casey around. Wasn't Lee Hill starting also? Surely on game day he'd be NT if he earns a spot on the front 3.

vCash
    Notes from Sunday July 27

- Safety Daimion Stafford really stood out on the defensive side of the ball. Had 1 interception and dropped what should have been another one. (Intercepted Tyler Wilson and almost intercepted Whitehurst)

- Justin Hunter looking amazing in catching drills (photo uploaded via Jim Wyatt)
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Btl7O5cIQAAWlrZ.jpg

- Nate Washington got in the face of Micah Pellerin whom he felt was being too physical and holding on most plays.

- Whisenhunt said that Locker has improved from the OTAs and he is impressed so far.

- Whisenhunt says that he is really watching several players and specificly named out Zach Brown because he felt that after watching tape that Brown struggled with several aspects of the game.

- Dexter McCluster, Leon Washington, Bishop Sankey and Marc Mariani all getting reps in the return game.

- Charlie Whitehurst had a terrible day. At one point supposedly he had 3 of 4 passes that should have been picked off by Stafford and Pellerin. Kuharsky said his deep throws were all over the place.

- Mike Martin said to have a really good day.

- Taylor Lewan at Left Guard with the 1st team.

- Kuharsky saying that Kendall Wright got the better of McCourty in 1-on-1's

- Jackie Battle getting reps with 1st team at Fullback for second day in a row. He will be the starting Fullback and the reasoning was explained today. For one reason he is valuable to the team being able to play both spots in the backfield and also on special teams. But the bigger reason is that they want a fullback that can shift into running back when they send the running back (Dexter McCluster) out of the backfield.

- Tommie Campbell might be in trouble of making the roster. Pellerin is outplaying him and in reps today against the 1's Tommie Campbell was burned by Justin Hunter more than once.

- Shawn Jefferson says that Justin Hunter has the physical ability to be an All-Pro wide receiver. The only one stopping Justin Hunter has been Justin Hunter because aside from plays where he lost his footing he has been consistently beating the opposing corner.

- Jake Locker is gonna be under scrutiny this year because the offensive line, wide receivers and tight ends are all said to be looking better than last season.

So what it seems like after 2 days

- Jake Locker looks to be on track
    - Pray that Locker stays healthy
    - Question marks early at RB
    - Jackie Battle is gonna start at FB
    - Hunter and Wright look amazing at WR
    - The offensive line looks good across the board
    - The safeties look good on defense
    - Question marks for depth at cornerback
    - Question marks for front 7 moving into 3-4 scheme

vCash
    In my opinion the biggest question I have regarding this team is how (effectively) we use Dexter McCluster. With a versitale weapon who can affect the game in the passing game, running game and return game, we would be crazy not to get him 12-15 touches thruout the game.

Also, I'm very intrigued by Battle at FB, certainly makes us versitale.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KingOfDaNorth View Post
    In my opinion the biggest question I have regarding this team is how (effectively) we use Dexter McCluster. With a versitale weapon who can affect the game in the passing game, running game and return game, we would be crazy not to get him 12-15 touches thruout the game.

Also, I'm very intrigued by Battle at FB, certainly makes us versitale.
    Whisenhunt said that under ideal circumstances that he wants him to get around 10 touches (5 carries/5 catches) a game.

vCash
    Notes from July 28

- Coty Sensabaugh had a better day with his turn again with the 1st team. Its gonna be a battle to watch throughout the preseason. But the feeling is that if it stays this close that BWW will get the job if nothing else because Sensabaugh is better suited for the nickel.

- It didn't take long for Bishop Sankey to move up the order. Apparently today Whisenhunt was impressed with Sankey and not impressed with Greene and even told Shonn Greene that he needed to lose 5-10 pounds because he wasn't quick or agile enough to the holes. Shonn Greene reported to camp at 235 Whisenhunt said he would love to have him down to 225 by the end of camp.

- Paul Kuharsky said that Dexter McCluster didn't look anywhere near as impressive in pads as he did in work without pads. Which should be expected. All the same McCluster was brought in to be a home run threat not a grinder.

- To expand upon yesterday the coaching staff is keeping a close eye on Zach Brown because after watching tape from 2013 they seen that he took plays off or gave up in pursuit over the course of the season.

- Michael Griffin and Bernard Pollard said that in 2013 they had players on both sides of the ball that gave up over the course of the season.

- Wesley Woodyard has already taken a leadership role with the front 7.

- Zach Mettenberger has been the 1st guy to show up for training camp every day so far. Something that is getting people's attention.

- Whisenhunt says that in the first day with pads he was impressed the most with Pitoitua, Sankey, Morgan, Mike Martin and Wimbley. He had underrated Martin's strength and Pitoitua's versatility.

- Titans defense with some big hits on Sankey, McCluster and Delanie Walker.

- Hunter and Wright still looking solid.

- Tommie Campbell burned deep by Marc Mariani again

- Jason McCourty, Zach Brown, Michael Griffin and Marqueston Huff all with interceptions on defense.

- Several people have the feeling that the Titans could end up with a WR or Cornerback not currently on the roster once the season starts. That the coaching staff will be watching the waiver wire closely to fill out the depth chart at those positions.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcityroller View Post
    Whisenhunt said that under ideal circumstances that he wants him to get around 10 touches (5 carries/5 catches) a game.
    I think under ideal circumstances we should game plan for 4-5 catches, 5-6 carries and 2-3 return touches for Dexter. If we utilize a true RBBC then Dex should see about 10-12 touches offensively, Greene about 12-15 and Sankey 8-10 with the remote possibility that Battle see touches as well. We do NOT have a proven feature back on our roster so it makes far more sense to utilize a stable of players while highlighting their strengths. I've heard mixed reviews on Sankey, tho I'm a big supporter, and personally I've never been a fan on signing off on a rookie to log significant snaps at any position unless they are Blue Chip.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcityroller View Post
    Notes from July 28

- Coty Sensabaugh had a better day with his turn again with the 1st team. Its gonna be a battle to watch throughout the preseason. But the feeling is that if it stays this close that BWW will get the job if nothing else because Sensabaugh is better suited for the nickel.

- It didn't take long for Bishop Sankey to move up the order. Apparently today Whisenhunt was impressed with Sankey and not impressed with Greene and even told Shonn Greene that he needed to lose 5-10 pounds because he wasn't quick or agile enough to the holes. Shonn Greene reported to camp at 235 Whisenhunt said he would love to have him down to 225 by the end of camp.

- Paul Kuharsky said that Dexter McCluster didn't look anywhere near as impressive in pads as he did in work without pads. Which should be expected. All the same McCluster was brought in to be a home run threat not a grinder.

- To expand upon yesterday the coaching staff is keeping a close eye on Zach Brown because after watching tape from 2013 they seen that he took plays off or gave up in pursuit over the course of the season.

- Michael Griffin and Bernard Pollard said that in 2013 they had players on both sides of the ball that gave up over the course of the season.

- Wesley Woodyard has already taken a leadership role with the front 7.

- Zach Mettenberger has been the 1st guy to show up for training camp every day so far. Something that is getting people's attention.

- Whisenhunt says that in the first day with pads he was impressed the most with Pitoitua, Sankey, Morgan, Mike Martin and Wimbley. He had underrated Martin's strength and Pitoitua's versatility.

- Titans defense with some big hits on Sankey, McCluster and Delanie Walker.

- Hunter and Wright still looking solid.

- Tommie Campbell burned deep by Marc Mariani again

- Jason McCourty, Zach Brown, Michael Griffin and Marqueston Huff all with interceptions on defense.

- Several people have the feeling that the Titans could end up with a WR or Cornerback not currently on the roster once the season starts. That the coaching staff will be watching the waiver wire closely to fill out the depth chart at those positions.
    I also expect BWW to win the outside job with Coty manning the nickel because both are ideal to those spots.

I'm glad Whis is calling out Greene. Do what it takes to get better. Sankey is gonna get a lot of touches.

Not surprised the undersized Dex got tossed around a bit today. Still expect him to break off some big plays.

I'm glad Whis called out Brown, and sounds like he's responded nicely so far. So much raw talent.

Woodyard is a leader, I like that signing. Loved the Mettenberger pick, and happy he's putting in work.

We can definitely use some upgrades at CB and WR. Lots of inexperience or ? there with Preston, Mariani, BWW, Campbell, Huff, Wooten etc.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast