Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Carmelo Anthony: I want to win

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/stor...ew-york-knicks

Jeff Goodman [ARCHIVE]

ESPN.com | July 25, 2014

LAS VEGAS -- Carmelo Anthony said it was not the money, but instead his confidence in team president Phil Jackson and his belief that the New York Knicks "aren't that far away from contending for an NBA title," that made him opt to remain in New York instead of signing with the Chicago Bulls.

"I want to win. I don't care about the money," Anthony told ESPN.com. "I believe Phil will do what he has to do to take care of that.

"I don't think we're that far away," he added. "People use 'rebuilding' too loosely."

The Knicks' assurances that the team will win has Carmelo Anthony feeling good about his decision to return to New York.
    In what were believed to be Anthony's first public comments since agreeing to a five-year deal worth $124 million earlier this month, he told ESPN.com that the decision was so agonizing in the final days that he could not watch TV or go on the Internet.

"It was overwhelming," Anthony said. "It was stressful in the final days, one of the hardest decisions I've ever had to make."

Anthony said, though, it ultimately came down to New York and Chicago.

"I was flip-flopping," he admitted. "It was hard. It was Chicago, but then after I met with L.A., it was L.A. But it came back to Chicago -- and was pretty much always Chicago or New York. That's a situation where I could have walked in now to an opportunity to compete for the next however many years."

But the 30-year-old Anthony said he is invigorated to work with a new team president in Phil Jackson and a new coach in Derek Fisher.

"It's a matter of me believing in the organization, believing in Phil," Anthony said. "I wanted to go somewhere where I can end my career."

Anthony, who was second in the league in scoring last season at 27.4 points per game, met with several teams throughout the process: the Bulls, Lakers, Mavericks and Rockets.

He joins a retooled Knicks club that dealt away Tyson Chandler and Raymond Felton in exchange for point guard Jose Calderon, Samuel Dalembert, Shane Larkin and Wayne Ellington. The Knicks also drafted talented forward Cleanthony Early and added free agent Jason Smith. New York returns Anthony, J.R. Smith, Tim Hardaway Jr. and Andrea Bargnani -- as well as an aging Amar'e Stoudemire.

"I feel like we have a brand-new team," Anthony said. "It's a new beginning. It's excited."

Anthony said he felt LeBron James' move back to Cleveland opened up the Eastern Conference.

"It balances everything out," he said. "There's balance from one to eight right now. The East is balanced."

vCash
    Let's go Knicks!!!!!
    NYJ
    Jet Nation

NYK
    #3ToTheHead

NYY

Get Up!!!

http://twitter.com/TrueNYJetGS

vCash
    Everyone here knows I love melo. But this was a flat out lie. Maybe it wasn't all about the money, but that was a huge part of it. If Chicago was able to offer 100 mil I dont think melo would be here right now. He should of just said "I like what Phil is planning". Why mention money? It's clearly a huge reason why he stayed

#TapeTwoOne....Oh Gawd

vCash
    I support Melo making as much money as he can. I also appreciate that he took a little less to help the Knicks. But he needs a new PR guy. If its not about the money then sign for the vet's minimum. Gimme a break!

vCash
    Sure took his agent a while to write all that

vCash
    What do some of you guys honestly expect him to say? If he said that his deciding factor was money he woud be crucified. Damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

vCash
    It is what it is, I'm just glad that he remained a knick and that we
    Didn't lose him because we didn't want to give him money.

Whatever it took to resign the guy!
    He is the best player on the knicks and a top 3 player in the league.

He deserves the money that he is getting and there should not be any regrets about it.

I'm also happy that he said that wherever he signed would end up being the place where he spends the rest of his career.

Carmelo anthony, a true New Yorker .

Not help take us to the next leval !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

And adapt to Phil's style of play !

vCash
    I meant to wright now help take us.

vCash
    He took like 5 million off the deal as a whole... Whoopty Doo!

vCash
    So what , who cares how much
    Money he makes!
    Let some one take $500 dollars out of your pocket and there excuses will be " oh well you should make sacrifices to help out others "

Lets see if you do it !

5 mill is a lot of money.

I just hate how so many others are concerned with somebody's else's bread !

Mind your damn business !

Nba basketball is for fans to watch them play and ,
    And lately the trade rumors during the offseason have been just as exciting for the fans to follow.

But when the fans start to follow and criticize what these ball players are making than that's taking it to a whole another leval.

You don't see them coming to your job and telling you that you shouldn't be making the money your making.

The point is, is that these players work extremely hard to play at an elite leval.
    And to keep there body's conditioned throughout the season and even harder during the offseason for guys like melo!

They have practice on the court and hit the gym the same day some times twice a day!

They have to make sure they eat certain foods and they have to live up to a certain standard being a superstar in the nba.

Not to mention , all the bs critsisum that melo has to put up with playing in NY.

And all the taxs that get taking out of his money because he chose to stay in NY !

The man led the league in scoring two seasons ago!
    That's takes extrem dedication !

The man got 62 fing points one night, GOD DAMN !!

And people think he don't earn his money !!!

I'm getting sick of ny fans getting on there center price there super star!

Stand behind him!
    Support him !
    Be gratefull we have him !
    Because if he left than NY would have not been in such a great position .
    But it's because he is here, is what makes this teams future with melo and Phil going foward so much brighter!

Did Kobe take a pay cut to stay in LA ?

Did Lebron take a cut in Ohio?

Is kd going to take a cut come his free agency ? I don't think so

Did I expect melo to take a cut now , ( because he his right up there along with those three players )

No I didn't think he would,
    But he did!
    5 mill !
    And you people have the nerve to tell him what he should be making!

You go to your boss and tell him hey boss you know what, I would like you to pay me $500 less every week in my pay check .

Because I think that if you give me less money than you would have more money to go and get more help for the company.

So I would like to sacrifice my half for the betterment of the company . I am such a good person and I'm a really nice guy, I'm just feeling blessed today.

Heck no !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If anything I'm going to tell my boss that he should give me a raise and if so that I would make sure that I would carry more the load and take on more responsibility .

And than he can go get guys that would take less just because they need a job and are willing to except there roll and understand that there is seniority and that the higher ups make more money and them lower guys , the ones who don't help out as much should be the ones taking less .

Stop messing with another mans money!!!!!!!

He earned it!!!!

Yes it would been nice if he felt in a giving mood and took 20mill less, but who am I to tell him what he should make?

It is what it is!
    I'm sure phil can work with what he has and be able to make something happen!

I have faith in Phil !

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Enzo View Post
    What do some of you guys honestly expect him to say? If he said that his deciding factor was money he woud be crucified. Damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.
    This lol "I don't care about the money"

vCash

Melo by default,thankfully we had more money to offer than anyone else

now go out and bring us a mother****ing chip

vCash
    I don't see what the problem is. He's obviously a MAX contract type of player. He's making on par with what he's made the previous 3 years (with a slight raise and longer contract). Not once has he played like the total dud Amare has been, and we were willing to pay 2 MAX contracts now - and in 2015. We might as well sign him to a MAX now, why not? Do we anticipate getting a better player?

I'm happy with the decisions made so far. I'm happy with PJax so far. Lets see if PJax/Fish can put Melo (and Amare for that matter) in a position for success

My man Ike got a bad rap

vCash
    As I said in the countless Melo threads. It's not the max contract (virtually) that bothers me. He deserves it. It's that we weren't his first choice AND it was only because of the money that we became the deciding factor. The fact that he stated if it would make the team more competitive if he took less, just adds fuel to the fire.

That being said, this does give Fisher and Jackson a chance to see if they can put together some championship chemistry. Otherwise, I could see Melo growing "frustrated and unhappy" and pushing for a trade.

And that is a good bet to take by Jackson, because this team severely underperformed last season. We have plenty of talent. Our team is actually better depth wise with the addition of Early, Larkin and Smith. Amare looks like he has figured out how to deal with the knees by pacing himself after the two knee procedures. We have an excellent upgrade at PG. Shump and Timmy will both be better. I know people are down on Shump for a variety of reasons, but all those teams that passed up on trading for him are going to be very sorry.

THIS is the first offseason where he has had a chance to WORK on his game. I know people frown on his development but don't look at the context. Between lack of offseason work, big injury and Woodson, Shump didn't have the time to put in to develop those other parts of his game aside from shooting (which was his biggest glaring weakness coming out of college). After the trade deadline and Phil becoming president, we saw Shumpert returning to his rookie year form and showing why we all got excited about him. And Timmy showed in Summer League that he has what it takes to be the primary offensive option coming off the bench. He showed that he can add wrinkles and get his offense in more ways than how Woodson had him playing last year. More importantly, Timmy has the mental makeup to be that conscienceless scorer that never loses his confidence.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Seizabmc View Post
    It is what it is, I'm just glad that he remained a knick and that we
    Didn't lose him because we didn't want to give him money.

Whatever it took to resign the guy!
    He is the best player on the knicks and a top 3 player in the league.

He deserves the money that he is getting and there should not be any regrets about it.

I'm also happy that he said that wherever he signed would end up being the place where he spends the rest of his career.

Carmelo anthony, a true New Yorker .

Not help take us to the next leval !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

And adapt to Phil's style of play !
    x2

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast