Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

Stephen A Smith Offensive Rant

ďWe know you have no business putting your hands on a woman. I donít know how many times I got to reiterate that. But as a man who was raised by women, see I know what Iím going to do if somebody touches a female member of my family. I know what Iím going to do, I know what my boys are going to do. I know what, Iím going to have to remind myself that I work for the Worldwide Leader, Iím going to have to get law enforcement officials involved because of what Iím going to be tempted to do. But what Iíve tried to employ the female members of my family, some of who you all met and talked to and what have you, is that again, and this what, Iíve done this all my life, letís make sure we donít do anything to provoke wrong actions, because if I come, or somebody else come, whether itís law enforcement officials, your brother or the fellas that you know, if we come after somebody has put their hands on you, it doesnít negate the fact that they already put their hands on you. So letís try to make sure that we can do our part in making sure that that doesnít happen.Ē

ďWe know you have no business putting your hands on a woman. I donít know how many times I got to reiterate that. But as a man who was raised by women, see I know what Iím going to do if somebody touches a female member of my family. I know what Iím going to do, I know what my boys are going to do. I know what, Iím going to have to remind myself that I work for the Worldwide Leader, Iím going to have to get law enforcement officials involved because of what Iím going to be tempted to do. But what Iíve tried to employ the female members of my family, some of who you all met and talked to and what have you, is that again, and this what, Iíve done this all my life, letís make sure we donít do anything to provoke wrong actions, because if I come, or somebody else come, whether itís law enforcement officials, your brother or the fellas that you know, if we come after somebody has put their hands on you, it doesnít negate the fact that they already put their hands on you. So letís try to make sure that we can do our part in making sure that that doesnít happen.Ē

Somewhere buried under all those words is a real discussion. Unfortunately, itís entirely obscured by the larger message ó the tone-deaf observation that women shouldnít provoke violence from men.
    Seattle Seahawks Seattle Mariners Los Angeles Clippers Anaheim Ducks

Tweet me @Spencerrw3
    Go Hawks

vCash
    His twitter posts afterwards just made it worse.
    2014 Adopt-A-Lion: Golden Tate

vCash
    I don't think he's really advocating that the issue here is women provoking men, so to that extent I guess his words have been misconstrued. But if he feels they are misconstrued it's because he said them so poorly. I think he's just championing an issue here that really isn't at all what's important right now. I think he had some decent intentions, he just wasn't at all eloquent about it, and again...now just isn't the time. The take away point from this is all is absolutely not that women need to learn how to avoid getting punched in the face.

So yeah, I agree with the OP. There is a point there, but it was stated so poorly and really just wreaks of the wrong message. And I don't think the discussion of that point is really at all the first thing we should be worrying about.

He deserves the backlash, and further explaining it on twitter in an equally lazy way didn't help his case.

vCash
    What a confused mess of words. No wonder people are taking this the wrong way. He's not saying women are responsible for violence against them, just to be careful because other guys beating up the guy that hurt them is not going to remove the damage done to the woman (which is so obvious it didn't need to be said anyway). He doesn't make his point clear which opens the whole thing up to misinterpretation.

vCash
    Woman shouldn't go around instigating violence from others any more than a man should. It would be considered indecent for a man to get all up in another man's face and provoke him to act violently and it's indecent when a woman does it. I think that's what he's trying to say and he's right. As men, we need to recognize that acting on the provocation is something we can't/shouldn't do when it's a woman on the other end. And to be honest we shouldn't act on it when it's a man but at least in those cases the other person can reasonably defend themselves. And I don't mean to imply that woman are all brittle, frail creatures that can't defend themselves. I'm just speaking on the obvious fact that, on average, men are stronger and more physically capable of fighting than women. The fact that it's not right for men to act on the provocation doesn't make it any less wrong for a woman to issue it in the first place though. At least that's my stance on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Haha View Post
    What I feel right now is like the satisfaction you feel when a highly judgmental, moralistic televangelist gets caught screwing a male hooker.
    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Trill Team

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FortDetroit View Post
    His twitter posts afterwards just made it worse.
    how?

vCash
    His twitter was a response to Michelle Beadle who tweeted:
    "So I was just forced to watch this morning's First Take. A) I'll never feel clean again B) I'm now aware that I can provoke my own beating."
    ''I'm thinking about wearing a miniskirt this weekend...I'd hate to think what I'd be asking for by doing so"

vCash
    What an ignorant comment by Beadle. That's not at all what anyone is saying.

What I feel right now is like the satisfaction you feel when a highly judgmental, moralistic televangelist gets caught screwing a male hooker.

Trill Team

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin13697 View Post
    how?
    Because he just doubled down on his stupid comment.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    Woman shouldn't go around instigating violence from others any more than a man should. It would be considered indecent for a man to get all up in another man's face and provoke him to act violently and it's indecent when a woman does it. I think that's what he's trying to say and he's right. As men, we need to recognize that acting on the provocation is something we can't/shouldn't do when it's a woman on the other end. And to be honest we shouldn't act on it when it's a man but at least in those cases the other person can reasonably defend themselves. And I don't mean to imply that woman are all brittle, frail creatures that can't defend themselves. I'm just speaking on the obvious fact that, on average, men are stronger and more physically capable of fighting than women. The fact that it's not right for men to act on the provocation doesn't make it any less wrong for a woman to issue it in the first place though. At least that's my stance on the matter.
    This is just like saying a women shouldn't dress slutty or she's just asking to be raped.

vCash
    This is just like saying a women shouldn't dress slutty or she's just asking to be raped.
    That is not at all what it says.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    What an ignorant comment by Beadle. That's not at all what anyone is saying.
    I've come to the conclusion that white women actually believe they are the most oppressed group of people on the planet. It's ****ing hilarious

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by raiderfaninTX View Post
    I've come to the conclusion that white women actually believe they are the most oppressed group of people on the planet. It's ****ing hilarious
    all times of people can be oppressed. what are you talking about?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by raiderfaninTX View Post
    That is not at all what it says.
    Other than defending yourself from legit bodily injury/physical violence FROM the woman, there is nothing that justifies hitting a woman...and therefore there is nothing that a woman can do to "provoke" the assault on her. There is nothing a woman could do to me (again, outside of me defending myself from physical violence) that would EVER cause me to hit a woman. Because, guess what, i'm not a woman beater like Ray Rice or numerous other dirtbags. The only thing that provokes physical violence on women is the disposition and lack of moral fiber of the man involved. Period.

vCash
    I don't see the comparison at all. A woman dressing slutty is encouraging nothing other than people thinking she's slutty. If a man thinks a girl dressing slutty is justification to rape her then that action is completely on his own stupid interpretation.

If a woman gets up in the face of a man, screaming at him, pushing him, pointing in his face, talking down to him she's encouraging violence. That's wrong for a woman to do to a man. It's wrong for a woman to do to a woman. It's wrong for a man to do to a woman. It's wrong for a man to do to a man. It's just wrong. It's also wrong for a man to act on that provocotion but it's still wrong for her to be inciting violence in the first place. Provoking violence is inherantly wrong IMO.

Trill Team

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast